Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62

Thread: 7 months away from the Ashes...

  1. #46
    State 12th Man Jigga988's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    I'm still hoping for:

    Trescothick
    Cook
    Strauss
    Pietersen*
    Collingwood
    Flintoff
    Prior+
    Broad/Swann
    Sidebottom
    Anderson
    Harmison
    slightly ambitious

  2. #47
    Hall of Fame Member Jamee999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    15,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguinissimo View Post
    So are most English cricket fans, but we'll be waiting a loooooong time...
    Still don't see why he can't play just home internationals - that's not different from playing CC in terms of the time away from home factor.
    Or something.

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

  3. #48
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Trescothick won't play The Ashes, or for England ever again, though if Australia's opening bowling is wayward again as it was in 2005 it might indeed be useful to have him as he's a fine punisher of wayward bowling.

    If it's good though, which it might be, and if the catching is up-to-scratch (which it should be but then it always should and never was with him), he'd be a walking wicket.

    And if you wanted another opener why on Earth would you push Strauss down to three rather than Cook, given Cook's had a measure of success there and Strauss hasn't? AND Strauss' technique is in far better shape than Cook's currently.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  4. #49
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    If you are ruling out Pietersen (unfairly) then it would have to be Graham Thorpe who started with a century. Had a poor second game but his performance over his first 3 tests has to be considered a success.
    Yeah, that's true, forgot about him. Don't think it's unfair to rule-out Pietersen though, though as I say his first 3 innings were immensely impressive he went downhill after them.


  5. #50
    Hall of Fame Member Jamee999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    15,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Trescothick won't play The Ashes, or for England ever again, though if Australia's opening bowling is wayward again as it was in 2005 it might indeed be useful to have him as he's a fine punisher of wayward bowling.

    If it's good though, which it might be, and if the catching is up-to-scratch (which it should be but then it always should and never was with him), he'd be a walking wicket.

    And if you wanted another opener why on Earth would you push Strauss down to three rather than Cook, given Cook's had a measure of success there and Strauss hasn't? AND Strauss' technique is in far better shape than Cook's currently.
    I briefly thought about who should bat at 3 but I decided I didn't really care. And Trescothick would be brilliant, he's such an awesome batsman. Are you really saying you'd rather have Trescothick than Bell?

  6. #51
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Hell will freeze over before Trescothick plays for England again, sadly. I reckon with him and Strauss at 1 and 2 and perhaps Cook at 3, we would be a much more solid lineup than with Bell at 3, obv.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  7. #52
    School Boy/Girl Captain Durham_CCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    I'm still hoping for:

    Trescothick
    Cook
    Strauss

    Pietersen*
    Collingwood
    Flintoff
    Prior+
    Broad/Swann
    Sidebottom
    Anderson
    Harmison
    Put Strauss at no.2 and put Shah in at 3.

    Simon Jones could be back, so I'd have him ahead of Harmison.

  8. #53
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Durham_CCC View Post
    Put Strauss at no.2 and put Shah in at 3.

    Simon Jones could be back, so I'd have him ahead of Harmison.
    Simon Jones still wants to play, despite undergoing recent knee surgery and turning thirty today. Nothing would be better than to see him opening the bowling on day one of the first test at Cardiff next summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  9. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Shakib's bed
    Posts
    589

    Simon Jones will be fit

    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Simon Jones still wants to play, despite undergoing recent knee surgery and turning thirty today. Nothing would be better than to see him opening the bowling on day one of the first test at Cardiff next summer.
    He will be fit in time for veterans ashes.

  10. #55
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Simon Jones still wants to play, despite undergoing recent knee surgery and turning thirty today. Nothing would be better than to see him opening the bowling on day one of the first test at Cardiff next summer.
    DWTA, a better sight would be him ending the series by uprooting an Aussie stump to complete our whitewash of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  11. #56
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,499
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    DWTA, a better sight would be him ending the series by uprooting an Aussie stump to complete our whitewash of them.
    Or having his already rotten teeth fall out from over-consumption of mints.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  12. #57
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Or having his already rotten teeth fall out from over-consumption of mints.

    It will be interesting who England assign the duty off mint-consumption in the absence of Tresco, because whoever is doing that job atm since Tresco has gone, isn't exactly doing a great job it....
    Last edited by pup11; 26-12-2008 at 07:35 PM.

  13. #58
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,016
    Interesting book Tresco's - he clearly had a torrid time for years with his mental health issues and the account he gives of his condition is at the same time fascinating and harrowing and quite clearly was understood at the time by not a single soul

    Now to me it is quite inconceivable that at no point in Tresco's career did some England colleague or member of staff either by accident or design piss him off big time either at the time, with hindsight or both

    Now the point of an autobiography for the likes of Tresco is to sell lots of books 'cos it's your last big pay day and a good way of doing that is to do a Duncan Fletcher and lambast all and sundry

    So why does Tresco not have a single word of criticism/admonishment for anyone connected with the ECB or the England team?

    I'll tell you why not and it's not just 'cos he's a nice guy it's because he doesn't want to jeopardise the real plan which is keep reiterating you're never going to play for England again, carry on scoring shed loads of runs for Somerset and then just as the selectors are tearing their hair out with Ian Bell step back up to the plate and help the boys take back the Ashes in '09

    There is no other explanation for the lack of whining and whinging in Tresco's book and of course to add to the credibility of my argument he then has a second chance to write a best seller when he deals with his recovery and international rebirth at which time he can then slag off all the bastards who crossed him when he was ill

    So I'm sorry Punter but the real Marcus Trescothick is waiting for you just round the corner and you popgun attack is going to wish it stayed behind

    Blast - I've lost my medication now ........................................ Nurse come here please .........

  14. #59
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,630
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    DWTA, a better sight would be him ending the series by uprooting an Aussie stump to complete our whitewash of them.
    I meant "No conceivable better sight." My bad.

  15. #60
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,662
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Interesting book Tresco's - he clearly had a torrid time for years with his mental health issues and the account he gives of his condition is at the same time fascinating and harrowing and quite clearly was understood at the time by not a single soul

    Now to me it is quite inconceivable that at no point in Tresco's career did some England colleague or member of staff either by accident or design piss him off big time either at the time, with hindsight or both

    Now the point of an autobiography for the likes of Tresco is to sell lots of books 'cos it's your last big pay day and a good way of doing that is to do a Duncan Fletcher and lambast all and sundry

    So why does Tresco not have a single word of criticism/admonishment for anyone connected with the ECB or the England team?

    I'll tell you why not and it's not just 'cos he's a nice guy it's because he doesn't want to jeopardise the real plan which is keep reiterating you're never going to play for England again, carry on scoring shed loads of runs for Somerset and then just as the selectors are tearing their hair out with Ian Bell step back up to the plate and help the boys take back the Ashes in '09

    There is no other explanation for the lack of whining and whinging in Tresco's book and of course to add to the credibility of my argument he then has a second chance to write a best seller when he deals with his recovery and international rebirth at which time he can then slag off all the bastards who crossed him when he was ill

    So I'm sorry Punter but the real Marcus Trescothick is waiting for you just round the corner and you popgun attack is going to wish it stayed behind

    Blast - I've lost my medication now ........................................ Nurse come here please .........

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bangladesh 7 months off
    By brockley in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 27-07-2007, 01:33 AM
  2. Shabbir cops 12 months
    By vic_orthdox in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 25-12-2005, 06:39 AM
  3. It has been 12 months
    By Craig in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 11:14 PM
  4. NZ contracts for next 12 months
    By Kiwi in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 15-07-2003, 05:08 AM
  5. Warne Gone - 12 Months
    By hourn in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 23-02-2003, 11:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •