Flintoff
    Prior+
    Broad/Swann
    Sidebottom
    Anderson
    Harmison
    slightly ambitious

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinissimo View Post
    So are most English cricket fans, but we'll be waiting a loooooong time...
    Still don't see why he can't play just home internationals - that's not different from playing CC in terms of the time away from home factor.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Trescothick won't play The Ashes, or for England ever again, though if Australia's opening bowling is wayward again as it was in 2005 it might indeed be useful to have him as he's a fine punisher of wayward bowling.

If it's good though, which it might be, and if the catching is up-to-scratch (which it should be but then it always should and never was with him), he'd be a walking wicket.

And if you wanted another opener why on Earth would you push Strauss down to three rather than Cook, given Cook's had a measure of success there and Strauss hasn't? AND Strauss' technique is in far better shape than Cook's currently.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    If you are ruling out Pietersen (unfairly) then it would have to be Graham Thorpe who started with a century. Had a poor second game but his performance over his first 3 tests has to be considered a success.
    Yeah, that's true, forgot about him. Don't think it's unfair to rule-out Pietersen though, though as I say his first 3 innings were immensely impressive he went downhill after them.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Trescothick won't play The Ashes, or for England ever again, though if Australia's opening bowling is wayward again as it was in 2005 it might indeed be useful to have him as he's a fine punisher of wayward bowling.

If it's good though, which it might be, and if the catching is up-to-scratch (which it should be but then it always should and never was with him), he'd be a walking wicket.

And if you wanted another opener why on Earth would you push Strauss down to three rather than Cook, given Cook's had a measure of success there and Strauss hasn't? AND Strauss' technique is in far better shape than Cook's currently.
    I briefly thought about who should bat at 3 but I decided I didn't really care. And Trescothick would be brilliant, he's such an awesome batsman. Are you really saying you'd rather have Trescothick than Bell?

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Hell will freeze over before Trescothick plays for England again, sadly. I reckon with him and Strauss at 1 and 2 and perhaps Cook at 3, we would be a much more solid lineup than with Bell at 3, obv.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

School Boy/Girl Captain Durham_CCC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    I'm still hoping for:

Trescothick
    Cook
    Strauss

Pietersen*
    Collingwood
    Flintoff
    Prior+
    Broad/Swann
    Sidebottom
    Anderson
    Harmison
    Put Strauss at no.2 and put Shah in at 3.

Simon Jones could be back, so I'd have him ahead of Harmison.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Durham_CCC View Post
    Put Strauss at no.2 and put Shah in at 3.

Simon Jones could be back, so I'd have him ahead of Harmison.
    Simon Jones still wants to play, despite undergoing recent knee surgery and turning thirty today. Nothing would be better than to see him opening the bowling on day one of the first test at Cardiff next summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Banned

Simon Jones will be fit

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Simon Jones still wants to play, despite undergoing recent knee surgery and turning thirty today. Nothing would be better than to see him opening the bowling on day one of the first test at Cardiff next summer.
    He will be fit in time for veterans ashes.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    DWTA, a better sight would be him ending the series by uprooting an Aussie stump to complete our whitewash of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    DWTA, a better sight would be him ending the series by uprooting an Aussie stump to complete our whitewash of them.
    Or having his already rotten teeth fall out from over-consumption of mints.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Or having his already rotten teeth fall out from over-consumption of mints.

It will be interesting who England assign the duty off mint-consumption in the absence of Tresco, because whoever is doing that job atm since Tresco has gone, isn't exactly doing a great job it....
    Last edited by pup11; 26-12-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Interesting book Tresco's - he clearly had a torrid time for years with his mental health issues and the account he gives of his condition is at the same time fascinating and harrowing and quite clearly was understood at the time by not a single soul

Now to me it is quite inconceivable that at no point in Tresco's career did some England colleague or member of staff either by accident or design piss him off big time either at the time, with hindsight or both

Now the point of an autobiography for the likes of Tresco is to sell lots of books 'cos it's your last big pay day and a good way of doing that is to do a Duncan Fletcher and lambast all and sundry

So why does Tresco not have a single word of criticism/admonishment for anyone connected with the ECB or the England team?

I'll tell you why not and it's not just 'cos he's a nice guy it's because he doesn't want to jeopardise the real plan which is keep reiterating you're never going to play for England again, carry on scoring shed loads of runs for Somerset and then just as the selectors are tearing their hair out with Ian Bell step back up to the plate and help the boys take back the Ashes in '09

There is no other explanation for the lack of whining and whinging in Tresco's book and of course to add to the credibility of my argument he then has a second chance to write a best seller when he deals with his recovery and international rebirth at which time he can then slag off all the bastards who crossed him when he was ill

So I'm sorry Punter but the real Marcus Trescothick is waiting for you just round the corner and you popgun attack is going to wish it stayed behind

Blast - I've lost my medication now ........................................ Nurse come here please .........

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I meant "No conceivable better sight." My bad.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Interesting book Tresco's - he clearly had a torrid time for years with his mental health issues and the account he gives of his condition is at the same time fascinating and harrowing and quite clearly was understood at the time by not a single soul

Now to me it is quite inconceivable that at no point in Tresco's career did some England colleague or member of staff either by accident or design piss him off big time either at the time, with hindsight or both

Now the point of an autobiography for the likes of Tresco is to sell lots of books 'cos it's your last big pay day and a good way of doing that is to do a Duncan Fletcher and lambast all and sundry

So why does Tresco not have a single word of criticism/admonishment for anyone connected with the ECB or the England team?

I'll tell you why not and it's not just 'cos he's a nice guy it's because he doesn't want to jeopardise the real plan which is keep reiterating you're never going to play for England again, carry on scoring shed loads of runs for Somerset and then just as the selectors are tearing their hair out with Ian Bell step back up to the plate and help the boys take back the Ashes in '09

There is no other explanation for the lack of whining and whinging in Tresco's book and of course to add to the credibility of my argument he then has a second chance to write a best seller when he deals with his recovery and international rebirth at which time he can then slag off all the bastards who crossed him when he was ill

So I'm sorry Punter but the real Marcus Trescothick is waiting for you just round the corner and you popgun attack is going to wish it stayed behind

Blast - I've lost my medication now ........................................ Nurse come here please .........

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information