• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trent Bridge & The Ashes

nottypilgrim

Cricket Spectator
I don't think there's a right minded cricket fan in the country who can believe TB has missed out on hosting an Ashes Test next summer. Whats all the more galling is the fact that its been ignored in favour of a ground that's basically not much more than an outground and thats not hosted a Test before. Surely Cardiff should have done its 'apprenticeship' like The Riverside and hosted the minor sides like Zimbabwe,Bangladesh and The Windies 1st in Tests. Even the press have noted with astonishment the lack of Ashes action in Nottingham next season and outside of London there is no better cricket ground in the country.

I know I'm biased being a member but yesterday brought home what a special venue TB is and what a shameful decision it is to deny it such a prestigious game on what seems political grounds. To add insult to injury there isn't even a test match there next season, and the T20 World Cup is a pretty poor consolation prize.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can say the same every time Old Trafford or Headingley doesn't get a Test.

Shame of the matter is, it'd be so much best to have six-Test Ashes series, but that simply isn't viable any more, unless you reduce the number of Tests per summer by 1. Or, even, increase it by 1, getting rid of all international Twenty20 and all bar maybe 5 ODIs.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Does anyone know where I can find all the information on the 2009 Ashes and the venues? Also, has it been announced?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Shame of the matter is, it'd be so much best to have six-Test Ashes series, but that simply isn't viable any more, unless you reduce the number of Tests per summer by 1. Or, even, increase it by 1, getting rid of all international Twenty20 and all bar maybe 5 ODIs.
Chances are next year it will be a 5-Test summer...

I say we make the Ashes 7 Tests long

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, yeah, what with this Twenty20 stuff, it presumably will. International tournaments mean rules have exceptions, though.

I don't like the idea of a seven-Test series though, it's never been done (yeah yeah, I know, some records have the 1970\71 series as seven games, but it wasn't, it was six and everyone knows it was six - there was one washed-out entirely and the extra game was only added because of this) and never should for mine. Six is good (The 'Gabba, Bellerive Oval, Adelaide Oval, The WACA, The MCG, The SCG; Edgbaston, Lord's, Old Trafford, Headingley, Trent Bridge, The Oval). Seven is not.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, yeah, what with this Twenty20 stuff, it presumably will. International tournaments mean rules have exceptions, though.

I don't like the idea of a seven-Test series though, it's never been done (yeah yeah, I know, some records have the 1970\71 series as seven games, but it wasn't, it was six and everyone knows it was six - there was one washed-out entirely and the extra game was only added because of this) and never should for mine. Six is good (The 'Gabba, Bellerive Oval, Adelaide Oval, The WACA, The MCG, The SCG; Edgbaston, Lord's, Old Trafford, Headingley, Trent Bridge, The Oval). Seven is not.
I was joking tbh :p

The reason it's five isn't because of the T20 - it's because we're due to play ZImbabwe

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Headingley can have a Test when France gets Test status. Until then, it can gagf.
Sweet. Test cricket at Sheffield and Scarborough. Just what the citizens of a 'free' 'Broad Acres' would want.

Its already 4 counties, so its own CC wouldnt be an issue.

leepayne

School Boy/Girl Captain
I completely agree, Trent Bridge is an incredible ground. I have been there for the Tests for the last two years and I have absolutely loved it. The players love playing there, the media love working there and the crowd loves going there. It is in a brilliant position in Nottingham too.

It was a strange decision to leave Trent Bridge and Old Trafford out of the venues to host the Ashes next year, they both had very special matches in 2005. I have nothing against Cardiff having a Test venue, but it is peculiar - would Cricket Australia allow the first Ashes Test to be played in Canberra? Why, also, has it taken the traditional first Test of the series away from Lord's?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no long-standing tradition about Lord's having the opening Test. It's only been the last 5 years that the opening Test of both series has been at Lord's. As recently as 2003, the series against South Africa started at Edgbaston. So did The Ashes 2001, so did the Wisden Trophy series in 2000, so did the series against New Zealand in 1999, so did the series against South Africa in 1998, so did The Ashes 1997.

There might be patterns before then but I CBA looking for 'em really.

chalky

International Debutant

Old Trafford & especially Headingly are **** holes though. Neither compare with Trent Bridge for me TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Old Trafford and Headingley have their undesireable parts - both remain in many ways excellent grounds though. Certainly far more deserving of Tests than The Riverside, The Rose Bowl or Sophia Gardens.

leepayne

School Boy/Girl Captain
There's no long-standing tradition about Lord's having the opening Test. It's only been the last 5 years that the opening Test of both series has been at Lord's. As recently as 2003, the series against South Africa started at Edgbaston. So did The Ashes 2001, so did the Wisden Trophy series in 2000, so did the series against New Zealand in 1999, so did the series against South Africa in 1998, so did The Ashes 1997.

There might be patterns before then but I CBA looking for 'em really.
The Ashes next year, however, will be the only Test series England play next summer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, there was only one Test series per summer as recently as 1999. That started at Edgbaston, then moved to Lord's.

In 1999 as 2009, there's a multi-nation tournament before the Test series. WC > NZ Test series, though, whereas Ashes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Twenty20 WC.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Old Trafford & especially Headingly are **** holes though.
I object to that statement. Apart from the toilet facilities, which are beyond dire, everything about Old Trafford is functually sufficient for it's purpose.

The condition of the seating areas and views available from them are comparable to most Premiership football (including Old Trafford's football ground) and Super League rugby league grounds, which are deemed good enough to host top level sporting events. The double-tiered stand is admittedly an eyesore and the views from the back of the lower tier aren't great, but it does a job; and I recently had the good fortune to see one of the committe member's suites located in the building at the Stretford End, which wasn't as in as good a state as you'd expect, but that one room being run down has no effect on the general public. Accessibility by car is excellent, it is walking distance from Manchester city centre, and the Metrolink stops right next to the ground (although trying to get on it along with 10,000 other people is a pain in the arse). In addition to this, the pitch is probably the best in the country.

Pretty sure I've heard that, apart from the lower tier of F stand, none of the seats being covered is an issue. However, considering that cricket is a fair weather sport, I would say it's insignificant.

Last edited: