Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trent Bridge & The Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Don't work anywhere at the merment. It's certainly a possibility, though.

No reason to change things unless there's a very good reason IMO, simple as. Unless Headingley and Old Trafford truly do become complete dumps, you have to have very good reason to take Tests from them.
    Poor attendances or lack of revenue when compared to other potential grounds?
    Last edited by chalky; 10-06-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    As said, I actually want to see some figures rather than mere supposition before we start doling-out this sort of stuff.

If it's truth, then we can start to look at matters. Until it is, no.

In any case, attendance and revenue are hardly game-fellows. Gate receipts make-up, what, 2-5% of Test match profits?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Well, tbh, gate revenues don't make anything for the ECB nowadays, Counties bid for the test and pay the ECB their bid amount, then try and make their profit from the gate receipts. It's the reason there is no test at trent bridge or old trafford next year...Cardiff doesn't need to make as much money on the gate to break even because the Welsh Assembly is giving them a load of money towards their bid, so they could bid more than OT and Trent Bridge. Under the ECB's new bidding process, as long as the ground meets minimum standards, the highest bidder wins.

So you see its useless discussing who should or shouldn't have had a test, it's all about the money.

Breakout Champion!
    Apart from the fact it's turned, Old Trafford's Test pitches haven't really conformed to any real stereotype in recent years. There's been even, uneven, seaming, non-seaming, and the works really.
    Over recent years the Old Trafford pitch has probably been the quickest of all the Test venues in the country. It traditionally offers bounce and turn and helps the spinners. And apart from the one freak day this year, I can't recall many matches where the pitch has disintegrated and offered uneven bounce. There's usually something there for batsmen, the quicker bowlers and spinners, which is more than can be said for most grounds in the country.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by chalky View Post
    Don't have any figures but if memory serves there usually seems to be a lot of empty seats @ both Headingly & Old Trafford tests (apart from Old Trafford during the 2005 Ashes of course).
    OT Tests are usually extremely well attended, actually. All of the first 4 days against the West Indies in 04 where sell outs, and Day 5 was well attended considering it was all over before lunch. 05 speaks for itself. Was in the Isle of Man for a wedding during the Pakistan Test in 06, but from what I saw on tv it looked a decent crowd. Can't remember anything at all about last year, and this year the weather was iffy but on the days when it wasn't blowing a ****ing gale the gates were better.
    Last edited by steds; 11-06-2008 at 04:23 AM.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    So you see its useless discussing who should or shouldn't have had a test, it's all about the money.
    Disagree. It is all about the money, but OT and Trent Bridge should have Tests, and we reserve the right to point that out.

Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    OT Tests are usually extremely well attended, actually. All of the first 4 days against the West Indies in 04 where sell outs, and Day 5 was well attended considering it was all over before lunch. 05 speaks for itself. Was in the Isle of Man for a wedding during the Pakistan Test in 06, but from what I saw on tv it looked a decent crowd. Can't remember anything at all about last year, and this year the weather was iffy but on the days when it wasn't blowing a ****ing gale the gates were better.
    Yeah the 06 Test was a sellout as well
    GIMH

CW LEGEND. HEAD OF FEATURES 2009-11. BOTM CHAMPION 2011 & 15. LORD PROTECTOR 2019-20. PLATINUM LOUNGE FOUNDING MEMBER. TORY **** 2005-13. DELUDED CENTRIST 2013-15. PART OF EVERY PROBLEM 2016-PRESENT. THE GOVERNMENT IS A CONCEPT BY WHICH WE MEASURE OUR PAIN.

SWA/UP THE ENGLISH

still scratching around in the same old hole
    As said, I actually want to see some figures rather than mere supposition before we start doling-out this sort of stuff.

If it's truth, then we can start to look at matters. Until it is, no.

In any case, attendance and revenue are hardly game-fellows. Gate receipts make-up, what, 2-5% of Test match profits?
    I cant speak for OT, but attendances at Headingley have often been lower than one would think.

TBH, Ive no reason to say Test cricket shouldnt move around more. If the stadia are there and the sales are strong then its shortsighted and selfish to limit the games to a few areas.

Spread the gospel, spread the wealth and if they are willing to pay for it (in tickets and new stadia) then give them what they want.
    Last edited by Goughy; 11-06-2008 at 04:38 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

I think one blindingly obvious solution is to cut Lord's down to one Test a year, deadset farce that it gets two and the capital three in total

Breakout Champion!
    Ind33d.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    Ind33d.
    It would simplify things. Though Lords is far bigger and far more expensive to attend and therefore worth a lot more to ECB than a Test at Trent Bridge or one of the newer grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I think one blindingly obvious solution is to cut Lord's down to one Test a year, deadset farce that it gets two and the capital three in total
    There's certainly a fair case for that, but it won't solve all the problems, as there's now 10 grounds wanting Tests.

Aye, give 7 of them Tests and then compensate the other three with key games, if we still had the tri-series you could have given one the final of that, maybe one could get T20 finals day, I don't know. But when there is such intense competition, Lord's should not get two, and I don't see why The Oval gets to be an automatic selection either

I don't have any objection to The Oval, or Lord's, or Edgbaston (or indeed Trent Bridge) getting automatic Tests. The summer finishing at The Oval is one tradition that endears down the years (though there've been a few exceptions) and I'd hate to see that disappear. I also actually quite like it starting at Edgbaston, as this was inherant when I started getting into the game (ie, 1997-2003).

Yeah Lords should definitely only get one test. With it getting two it means that London has 3 out of 7 tests, which is nearly half and way too many. I don't mind the Rose Bowl getting a Test Match, that's a great ground, but what was the point in completely rebuilding a ground when there's two perfectly good one's (Trent Bridge and Old Trafford) there waiting?
    A great new cricket forum:
    http://www.cricketforum.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information