• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne would consider Test return

Would you be supportive of Shane Warne returning to Test Cricket for Australia?

• Total voters

PhoenixFire

International Coach
From Cricinfo

Shane Warne has not ruled out a dramatic return to international cricket for the next Ashes series if Australia's problems with trying to fill his spin position continue. Warne retired from internationals following the final Test against England in Sydney last January, and earlier this year ended his first-class career by withdrawing from his Hampshire deal
ITSTL

On another note, how weird does he look clean shaven?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think he'd be much good, seeing as he would have been out of first-class cricket for so long by that point. So I'm torn because:

a. I love seeing Warne bowl. A true genius.
b. The only thing better than Warne in full flight is Warne getting tonked.

I'm a complicated kinda guy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
On another note, how weird does he look clean shaven?

Hahahaha, good grief, that truly is odd. :blink: I mean I've always said a good shave makes a hell of a difference, but if he got a decent haircut he could still do a youngish impression.

When was that pic taken BTW?

Anyway, as I said in the the road to... thread, I'd truly hate to see Warne play in 2009, for any number of reasons. 1, I think he bowed-out at a perfect time. 2, I doubt he'd be much use in 2009 for the reasons Camps suggested above as he'd not have bowled in a cricket match for years. 3, I hate people picking and choosing playing this and that. 4, despite all this, it's still perfectly conceivable that Warne might bowl well if he were to play, and this would damage our chances. While I want to see the best Australian side, I want that to be the side under expected circumstances - not this sort of "oh look I'm back" stuff.

Fortunately, I don't think it's likely. I imagine it might've been a fairly off-the-cuff remark that has been typically jumped on like the proverbial sack of potatoes by the ever-keen press. Either that or Warne's just doing his typical drum-up-a-frenzy crap.

Having said that, people tried to drum-up the frenzy about him returning to ODIs and he always deadbatted that.

Let's wait and see, I guess.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
**** would run through us like dysentery.

As an Englishman I think Beau Casson should be given as extended run in the test team, but as a cricket fan you'd love to see the old master loping in again.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love to see the old Legend back at it. One thing is for sure, it would be very Warne-like to make a comeback like that.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I'm not sure, this sort of thing has happened in the past, rarely with any success. It's always depressing seeing a great player past it and struggling. That said with a year to practice and get fit (lol like Warne would bother with the treadmill) he could well have an impact, certainly a bigger one than any other Aussie spinner bar Macgill. However he pretty much had the greatest send off in test match history "who writes your scripts?" so I'm not sure he would want to trade that in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, obviously he fancies a crack at the Ashes. Will admit to not having been able to follow the Aussie side in much detail this winter just gone, but from what I have read here and elsewhere online, spin is basically the only weak spot in the side. Might as well pick him, Warne without having played for 5 years would still give a few of our batsmen the ****s, KP will destroy him though :cool:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not sure, this sort of thing has happened in the past, rarely with any success. It's always depressing seeing a great player past it and struggling. That said with a year to practice and get fit (lol like Warne would bother with the treadmill) he could well have an impact, certainly a bigger one than any other Aussie spinner bar Macgill. However he pretty much had the greatest send off in test match history "who writes your scripts?" so I'm not sure he would want to trade that in.
Aye, my thoughts exactly. Some people evidently don't share either the love of a brilliant send-off or the hate for a once-brilliant player playing again when woefully inadaquete. Example that always comes to mind is Jeff Thomson in 1985 with that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If he thinks he can still play and he wants to play, then obviously he should. However, no one is going to replace him long term if they don't get the opportunity to prove themselves. Obviously, if he declares his fitness, the selectors would and should select him, but I don't think asking him to come back (or him deciding to come back) should be for the reason of 'no spin in the team').

The most important test is the next one, so I can understand just doing whatever you can to win the game, but you've got to give someone a fair go.

howardj

International Coach
Please no.

Have never liked comebacks.

Leave on top, as he did in 2007, and you look back on things more fondly.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I see many things odd here:

1. Why does he want to come back?
2. Seems like a slap in the face of every single bowler in Australia
3. What happened to the quickly made cliche 'whoever writes my scripts.'?

In saying that, I think he'll still be better than any other spinner Australia will pick.

Top_Cat

Haha, heard it all before after he retired from ODI's. He bowled beautifully in that Tsunami ODI, people asked whether he'd come back, he said "Maybe" and suddenly the headlines were "Warne considering a come-back!"

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm surprised Stuart MacGill hasn't turned up on the 'What Really Grinds My Gears' and "...Ruined My Day" threads yet.

For ****s sake Warney, they're called decisions! Noone is writing any scripts.

Would love to see him come back and bowl well though :happy:

Top_Cat

I'm surprised Stuart MacGill hasn't turned up on the 'What Really Grinds My Gears' and "...Ruined My Day" threads yet.

For ****s sake Warney, they're called decisions! Noone is writing any scripts.

Would love to see him come back and bowl well though :happy:
Haha, yeah that's a good point! The press is reporting that Magilla is on the comeback and ripping his leggie, Warnie announces his comeback just to irk Magilla.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am not sure its such a great idea. I would be surprised if he did not do some serious damage to his figures if he did.

Here is what he did in test matches in the last three calendar years.

Code:
[B]YEAR	Wkts	Avg	St Rate[/B]
2005	96	22.0	45.2
2006	49	30.2	58.1
2007	2	46.0	86.0