• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne would consider Test return

Would you be supportive of Shane Warne returning to Test Cricket for Australia?

• Total voters

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Imagine Warne Chalking up a century at Edgebaston.

All for it if he's still up to the task

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Please no.

Have never liked comebacks.

Leave on top, as he did in 2007, and you look back on things more fondly.
AWTA... love to see him come back and do well but would be devastated if he were to spoil his legacy somewhat with a couple of bad games... so I went with non-Aussie fan and no.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disagree completely with that TBH, but you know that.

Think Bradman hit the nail closer to the head in 1948 when he said: "I think there comes a time in every man's life... irrespective of whether he may still be good enough to carry-on or not... that he should make way for a younger man. I feel that, in my own case... and I think I'm probably the best judge of the many little creaks and groans that go on in my joints throughout the day, especially when we're out in the field" etc.

I also don't see, as everyone knows, the "is he better than any other spinner?" thing. If, come 2009, there are 4 (or even 7 or 8) better seamers than Warne, MacGill, Casson or anyone else available, they should play.

Did Warne retire too early is a different question altogether. But as someone (forget who TBH and CBA checking) said - once you've had a fanfared farewell like that, to come back again seems a bit rich in any case.
There's never been 4 better seamers in the team than Warne.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, indeed there haven't. But if he went for 2 years without playing cricket (note: cricket, not Twenty20) there might be.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, indeed there haven't. But if he went for 2 years without playing cricket (note: cricket, not Twenty20) there might be.
True...I'm with Burgey here, this threat to return has been wasted on the current English players.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Inconceivable that Warne would break down like a 1985 Thomson (heh, sounds like a car). Leggies have famously long shelf-lives when called on (see Bob Holland); unlikely that he'd welcome the strains of leg-spin bowling as a 39 year old any less than he did as a 37 year old.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But any spinner (and Bob Holland was hardly an outstanding one, just one who had 2 great days - he took 14 wickets in his other 9 Tests) needs to bowl to stay a good spinner.

If Warne keeps bowling, of course he has a chance of doing such a thing - but it'd then be incredibly strange to keep bowling and not be available for selection during that time.

For me, Warne should make himself available again now, or not ever again.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just thought I'd dig this up to see if anyone's opinions have changed/hardened in light of Australia's subsequent spinning (or, in the case of Cam White, non-spinning...:ph34r:) travails.

This post from saggers made before MacGill knocked it on the head caught my eye. Absolutely spot-on about the lack of gifted young twirlers (currently in the Oz FC game...).

If MacGill went down, we'd be screwed and I would have absolutley no issue with him coming back. We'd have very little realistic spin prospects and it's not like he'd be taking the spot of a gifted young spinner, because let's be honest, we don't really have one of those at the moment.

I always thought this was a possibility and that he may have retired a bit too early. I think it really did take everyone by suprise when it happened as most thought he'd go on till 2009. 2006/07 was great revenge but it's not the same as doing it in their own backyard and I'm sure the hunger is still there.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I also thought he retired before his talents wained. Whether it was right for him on a personal level is a different issue.

However, Id like to see him back but only if committed to a 2 or more year comeback rather than a Test or series.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Got no interest in going back to play cricket for Australia. None whatsoever."

Shane Warne, 10/10/2008.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
"Got no interest in going back to play cricket for Australia. None whatsoever."

Shane Warne, 10/10/2008.
As I believe Mandy Rice-Davis said, "He would say that, wouldn't he?"

I think CA might have to do the courting, which they may be unwilling to do, but I think if they did ask him it would appeal to his not inconsiderable ego.

Uppercut

I think CA might have to do the courting, which they may be unwilling to do, but I think if they did ask him it would appeal to his not inconsiderable ego.
Yeah. My reaction was just "Warney says a lot of things."

G.I.Joe

International Coach

Think he'd much rather be top dog for the Royals and nothing more hereon.

What is the incentive for him to return to Test cricket? A pasting in India? Not even the Ashes will do the trick. He's had one of the most dominant Ashes sendoffs ever in England and in Australia. Why ruin it?

Top_Cat

Time to put this one to bed, surely. Warnie isn't coming back and shouldn't. His bowling was pretty significantly on the wane in his last series or two, he'd get spanked by the Indians and would make no difference to the result.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have changed my mind. I would like him to come back.

Reason : If India is to dethrone Australia from the number one spot (I am not saying its a certainty) I wouldn't want it happening with such a weak Aussie attack.

PS : From an Australian point of view, however, its a bad idea for him to be recalled. Australia needs to face this situation and build for the future. Band Aid wont help.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Not to mention the message it'd send if the Australian selectors approached a 40 year old retiree to dig them out of a hole. It'd make the hole deeper.

Top_Cat

Not to mention the message it'd send if the Australian selectors approached a 40 year old retiree to dig them out of a hole. It'd make the hole deeper.
Yep agreed. Time to move on and let the results fall where they may. Wishing Warnie back just to win one or two series' smacks of denial that Aus are no longer the powerhouse they were.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I dunno. I think the influence of this kind of thing is overstated sometimes. White (or any of potential/actual replacement spinners post-SKW) must know they haven't cut the mustard in tests. Recalling (arguably) the best spinner of all-time is just stating the obvious seen in that light.