Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Would you be supportive of Shane Warne returning to Test Cricket for Australia?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australian Fan - Yes

21 23.33%
  • Australian Fan - No

15 16.67%
  • Non Australian Fan - Yes

27 30.00%
  • Non Australian Fan - No

20 22.22%
  • Amos Tversky

7 7.78%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Warne would consider Test return

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    If he comes back, i won't be supporting it purely because thats just a step backwards, its not something i would want to see in the Australian Cricket.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

If MacGill went down, we'd be screwed and I would have absolutley no issue with him coming back. We'd have very little realistic spin prospects and it's not like he'd be taking the spot of a gifted young spinner, because let's be honest, we don't really have one of those at the moment.

I always thought this was a possibility and that he may have retired a bit too early. I think it really did take everyone by suprise when it happened as most thought he'd go on till 2009. 2006/07 was great revenge but it's not the same as doing it in their own backyard and I'm sure the hunger is still there.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Id have no issue.

I hate this cult of youth in International cricket. If he can still perform (thats the question) then he should be picked.
    It's not a question of youth though is it? It's a case of someone doing a u-turn after a fanfared retirement. If he can still perform, he shouldn't have retired in the first place, I don't think anyone is saying he is too old?

Also, if he plays next summer, he'll after play in 2010-11 as we are going to regain the Ashes and there is no way he'd finish his career with us holding them

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    It wont be the first time a player has come back. Its happened all over the world. If he comes back and performs well, we should celebrate it.

Who does not want to see great players play?

These guys:

Yeah, in theory it's great to see a great making a comeback, but if he messes it up and plays awfully - it's not how I want to remember him, believe it or not, as parochial as I may be from time to time I want to remember Warne the great bowler, not someone who shouldn't have been out there but missed it too much.

it's all theory and hypothetical from me though, as I said in my initial post, I am not opposed to a comeback, it would be good to see the master at work again...in Australia's other series

At the end of the day, it's not about his legacy, how we remember him or anything at all like that. All that's important is will he do better than any other spinner in Australia in the 2009 Ashes should Stuart MacGill go down.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    These guys:
    Just imagine if these guys managed to score big runs, they could talk about it to their great grand children

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    At the end of the day, it's not about his legacy, how we remember him or anything at all like that. All that's important is will he do better than any other spinner in Australia in the 2009 Ashes should Stuart MacGill go down.
    Well if he goes well his legacy would be intact, I know what you are saying.

Let me make myself a little clearer: I would only want Warne to make a comeback if he was still great. I know this is something you disagree with though (ie I think I've read you saying that you want players to play as long as possible as long as they are still test class, even if not as good as they were). My reasons aren't statistical, just that I wouldn't like to see his powers lessened.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Well if he goes well his legacy would be intact, I know what you are saying.

Let me make myself a little clearer: I would only want Warne to make a comeback if he was still great. I know this is something you disagree with though (ie I think I've read you saying that you want players to play as long as possible as long as they are still test class, even if not as good as they were). My reasons aren't statistical, just that I wouldn't like to see his powers lessened.
    I understand what you are saying. Its exactly my reason for being not so keen on it. I would love to see him bowl but I would not like him to be a shadow of himself.

I understand the arguments regarding legacy, and that he shouldn't be seen as a shadow of himself etc, and gosh I have a romantic side when it comes to sport too...

But at the end of the day (as Pasag said), if he's the best option and returns, then you pick him. He doesn't play for you, me or any other fan, he first and foremost plays for himself and his country/team.

I'm sure Gilly doesn't care that his batting average is 47/48 and not above 50. Would it be nice to have it above 50? Yeah. But I bet a million dollars he'd give up those 2-3 runs to be able to celebrate a 5-0 Ashes series victory and a series victory over India than retire early with his average above 50.

Same goes for Warne. The difference of course is that he made a big deal about his retirement and then came back, different to Viv or Gilly just playing as long as they wanted to and enjoyed the game. But as long as Warne doesn't become Rolling Stones/John Farnham-esque with his retiremenet/farewells, it shouldn't be an issue.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

If MacGill went down, we'd be screwed and I would have absolutley no issue with him coming back. We'd have very little realistic spin prospects and it's not like he'd be taking the spot of a gifted young spinner, because let's be honest, we don't really have one of those at the moment.
    Surely we should at least see how Casson goes at test level before dismissing him. It just looks like we have no prospects because we have not given any young spinners a go.

Besides, we can't being back Warnie because that is exactly the sort of decision that England makes. And I would rather we lost than be England.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar

I always thought this was a possibility and that he may have retired a bit too early. I think it really did take everyone by suprise when it happened as most thought he'd go on till 2009. 2006/07 was great revenge but it's not the same as doing it in their own backyard and I'm sure the hunger is still there.
    You echo my thoughts.

Won't happen - it's a media beat-up.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Warne wakes up one day and thinks...

"My Goodness, I haven't been in the paper for three weeks."
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    Surely we should at least see how Casson goes at test level before dismissing him. It just looks like we have no prospects because we have not given any young spinners a go.

Besides, we can't being back Warnie because that is exactly the sort of decision that England makes. And I would rather we lost than be England.
    There's plenty of time for Casson to prove himself before and after 2009 and he shouldn't be doing it in the Test arena either without significant FC evidence and especially not for something as important as the Ashes, he should be doing it on the domestic scene and it should be more than just a couple of matches. At this stage I'd rather have a fourth seamer in there, tbh. It's fairly clear that our young spinners are fairly crap.

And regarding going backwards, I don't know where to start there. It's kind of a cliche comment based on a sterotype and it's not really based on much logic. It's simple really, if he's the best spinner in Australia by a fair margin and he's avaliable, then there's no reason why you wouldn't pick him or why he shouldn't do it.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information