Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Road to the 2009 Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Anderson only bowled terribly well in the first-innings at Lord's last home season for mine. First time he'd bowled well since Mumbai in 2005\06, and that was the first time he'd ever bowled well in his entire Test career, except possibly that second-innings at The Oval in 2004, but I was far from convinced there really.
    Anderson along with a few others has suffered due to the injury crisis that has hit England since the 2005 Ashes. He was on the fringes then, in PAK & after some usual solid ODI performances got his chance in Mumbai & bam. Came home got injured barely played a CC game @ the end of the season & was selected into for the Ashes series very rusty.

He built back well into the series againts India & bowled well on some flat decks, never going to be world beater but definately one of the better bowlers England have ATM once fully fit & firing.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I honestly doubt it. I'm finding it less and less likely with every rubbish Test that Anderson will ever become a Test-standard bowler.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

still scratching around in the same old hole
    I honestly doubt it. I'm finding it less and less likely with every rubbish Test that Anderson will ever become a Test-standard bowler.
    Id agree.

He was a young bowler that really got the ball to swing but had accuracy issues due to his head falling and not looking where he was bowling.

A couple of years ago they tried to rectify that problem and the result being he bowls with a little extra gas now but doesnt swing it like he did and still struggles with accuracy as he still drags his head down.

Maybe overly harsh to say the coaches messed him up as there was a legit issue that if corrected would have dramatically improved him as a bowler. However the reality is that the issue is still there, his major bowling weakness (inaccuracy and dragging it short) still exists but his main weapon (dramatic outswing) has all but disappeared.

He isnt the same bowler he was before. He needs time in County cricket. Not to just regain confidence, but to try and work out how best to bowl with the method he currently has.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Bollinger will be in the Aussie Ashes squad next year, barring injury or complete loss of form.

He's more likely to be in the side than Tait imo, given Tait's recent trevails.

I also wouldn't discount a return by Watson to the squad at least, depending on how Symonds copes with the subcontinent in the mean time, and also the express stuff from Steyn. Were he fit (big question mark) and firing (we don't know if he can fire yet, owing to injuries), he could play at 6, allowing the side to play 3 quicks plus say, McGill or even Warnie out of retirement as the spinner.

My XI if fit and firing:

Hayden
    Jaques
    Ponting
    Hussey
    Clarke
    Watson/ Symonds
    Haddin
    Lee
    Johnson
    Clark
    MacGill or McGain/ Bollinger.

In the event Symonds plays, he would be the "spinner", with 4 quicks, the last one being Bollinger. If Watson plays, MacGill or McGain comes in, because Australia must, since the days of McDermott, have at least one bowler with "Mc" in his name, or so it seems.

A few pro-Aussie x factors imo:

1. S Clark in English conditions should make the ball talk.
    2. I would hope and expect that the same bowling coach who got the England bowlers to get the ball reversing in 05 can do it for the Aussies in 09.
    3. Some of the less experienced players in the squad will, assuming all goes well for them, have had 20 tests or more worth of experience by then (the likes of Johnson, Haddin, Jaques spring to mind)
    4. A lot of our blokes have played in England at the County level, so the conditions shouldn't come as too much of a surprise to them.
    5. Lee needs to maintain his current form and fitness, as the most experienced quick in the side.

Having said all that, I think it will be a pretty competitive series, certainly more so than 06/07 (but hten, that wouldn't be hard, would it? ).
    Last edited by Burgey; 13-02-2008 at 04:04 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

If the conditions in 2009 are like 2007 rather than 2005, I'd imagine we'll get lots of conventional swing and not that much reverse.

And if MacGill or McGain play, I'll be licking my lips and so I'd imagine will Cook, Pietersen et al. Bollinger would worry me more, and right now a one-season wonder doesn't overtly worry me.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Yeah, but given England's record playing leg spin, they'd probably get wickets.
    I think, depsite what I wrote about him when I 1st saw him, that Sidebottom would do well against a side which has a lot of lefties in it. Anyway Cook, Bell and Pietersen will all be out before the leggie gets a bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah, but given England's record playing leg spin, they'd probably get wickets.
    What, England's record when they carted MacGill out of sight in 2002\03? Or when they handled Mushtaq Ahmed and Danish Kaneria easily in 2000\01? Or Kaneria again in 2005\06 and 2006?

It's exceptional wristspinners that we've had trouble with. Not average ones (except MacGill in those 2 Tests in 1998\99).
    I think, depsite what I wrote about him when I 1st saw him, that Sidebottom would do well against a side which has a lot of lefties in it. Anyway Cook, Bell and Pietersen will all be out before the leggie gets a bowl
    Maybe. I also think Sidebottom will do well with a decent ball (especially under overcast skies) against right-handers TBH.

International Captain
    Hayden will be their.
    I wouldn't be surprised if
    1 the academy visits england this winter
    2 that their will be a series between the english lions and australia A this winter.

What are the chances of Hampshire's Michael Carberry being in the England squad for Ashes 2009 ?

Well I still reckon it's unlikely, but I reckon it's far more likely now than I would have in 2004 when he was searching for his 3rd county.

His form since joining Hants has been good TSTL. I've still not seen much of him bat, as he's not that good at one-dayers, and I'm highly unlikely to given how few First-Class games get televised.

But as far as openers go, right now I'd only have Cook, Strauss and Key ahead of him really.

Not seen as much of him as I'd like. I know he would certainly improve our fielding, he is like lightning in the field.
    Made a decent ton, although not as fluent as he would have liked by all accounts, for England Lions, is still only 27 I think, and getting better and better every season.

Collingwood has only ever scored chanceless runs on impossibly flat pitches (Lahore and Nagpur 2005\06, Adelaide 2006\07, Chester-le-Street 2007). Never scored them against remotely decent attacks on surfaces offering anything to the bowlers.
    Well if you are going to look down on Collingwood for that you are going to have to start viewing alot of batsmen the same way in the modern area since we will both agree even the best of batsmen these days given that conditions that assist quality bowling aren't found that much thus batsmen not making big runs in such conditions IMO (depending on ability of course) is down to the fact that they face such conditions often due to inability.

But then again with Collingwood, in the cases of his innings @ Lahore, Nagpur, Adelaide (didn't see the CLS test given my lack of interest in that series at the time) all were very good innings given the circumstances. Yea Lahore was a flat pitch but except for him England batted poorly in that match, at adelaide yea flat pitch again but its Australia & in this dominant era of Australian cricket with McGrath & Warne leading the attack there has been many flat decks & batsmen haven't been able to bat so well so easily on the best innings by an englishman in a long time.

Then nagpur geez your harsh son, that was one of the better innings i've seen in India by an overseas player especially a man like Collingwood who many reckoned at time would be a waste of space in test cricket. All goes to show how mentally though the bloke is..

But if players need fortune to score, and don't get any fortune, they don't score. I hope that might be the case with Symonds in 2009.
    Yea he got luck but he cashed in thats the point & looked the part as a batsman. Look at Dravid in the first couple of test he was caught of no-balls, dropped & just looked a walking wicket. I am not totally convinced about Symonds yet, but i have a sneaky feeling his test career will take a similar path to how his ODI turner after WC03.

You said that about Gilchrist just a few months ago... and so did a few others....
    I don't think i said personally yo, i was expecting retirement call from him this summer in ODI's but as the great man said himself a missed oppurtunity in tehe 3rd or 4th test convinced him it was time to call it a day altogether. Plus he was obviously in decline unlike Hayden has i said seems to be getting better with age & probably feels he has to make up for lost time.

It's 1 Test, Rogers is a fine batsman. He's unlikely to be any superman, but he could be a decent, solid Test opener for a few years, and is certainly ahead of anyone else at the current time, as I don't see Hussey ever being shifted back to the top of the order where he belongs again.
    As i said though its one test i just didn't like the look of him at all. But i'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Also even though Hussey has made the middle order spot his own, Australia haven't been the best team in the world by having a stagnant approach to stuff if down the line it is felt that Hussey should open wouldn't be surprised if it occured nor do i think it will hurt the middle-order as much as people think.

Katich is, what, 32 now? Would be 33 by the time he next might have the chance of getting in, and would surely still be behind Hodge as of this merment? Not sure about Hussey, but he always seems to have enough going against him. Might make a decent Test batsman mind.
    I reckon all three have as good as chance as the other to getting a shot in the middle-order due to loss or form or injury in the next few years.

Regarding this Collingwood debate, I think it's unfair to suggest that he only gets chanceless runs on dead tracks. He has proved people wrong time and again when they have questioned his place in a side. He is a born fighter that does not necessarily need to be in great nick to score runs, he's happy to take an ugly innings and accumulate his runs.

He certainly isn't the most gifted cricketer around, but he works exceptionally hard and gets runs against the odds, either on a track favouring bowlers or when England have lost a few quick wickets. A gritty fighter that every side needs.

There are few batsmen as strong as he is through straightish mid wicket.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    He should be one of the best England batsmen on sporting tracks. Whether he is or he isnt can be debated, but he has the tools to score runs against the moving ball.

He is gifted in his hand eye co-ordination and his low backlift gives him more time to watch the ball and play it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    He should be one of the best England batsmen on sporting tracks. Whether he is or he isnt can be debated, but he has the tools to score runs against the moving ball.

He is gifted in his hand eye co-ordination and his low backlift gives him more time to watch the ball and play it later.
    Plus the guy has balls. We need balls fellas.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information