• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Road to the 2009 Ashes

Rickripper

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Is it me, or does the 2005 Ashes feel much longer ago than it was? Still only three summers ago, but it seems a long distant memory.

And no, that's not a reflection on England's performances since then. :dry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, barely seems like yesterday to me.

Then again, so does 1998 TBH. And that was a full decade ago.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sort of. The fact that everyone talks about it endlessly kinda makes it seem like it was less long ago than it was. Almost as if Ashes '06-'07 never happened.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What a crackpot. Everyone knows the last Ashes were in 05, and before that 86-87. Maybe that's what he meant to write. After all, 8 is quite close to 0 on the keyboard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I seem to remember the last ones were actually in 1985 TBH - they finished a few days before I was born.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I believe there was an attempt to revive them in 97 which was abandoned after the first test because it looked like it would be too one-sided

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But 98/99 was a goodwill tour by a bunch of old-fashioned amateurs who fancied a long holiday - I think the Australians have a fair point when they say that the MCG match should have the same practice match status as everything else on that tour

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I always thought that game should be retrospectively given Test status TBH, like those in 1976/77.

Uppercut

The Ashes eh? I thought the only cricket match on record was Ireland-Pakistan for the eternal world championship in March 2007.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Ashes eh? I thought the only cricket match on record was Ireland-Pakistan for the eternal world championship in March 2007.
I think you're mistaking that for Ireland-Bangladesh which was staged shortly afterwards. :p

Uppercut

I think you're mistaking that for Ireland-Bangladesh which was staged shortly afterwards. :p
Ah yes, Ireland-Pakistan was merely the semi-final, with Bangladesh outclassing India to make it to the wire. While the fanatical fans from the defeated nations' respective countries meant the atmosphere at the final wasn't as good as it could have been, the real cricketing fans among us were glad to see the match be played by the world's two great cricketing nations. Many pundits such as Michael Holding even complained the tournament had been filled up with uncompetitive matches due to the quality of these two world-class sides.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ah yes, Ireland-Pakistan was merely the semi-final, with Bangladesh outclassing India to make it to the wire. While the fanatical fans from the defeated nations' respective countries meant the atmosphere at the final wasn't as good as it could have been, the real cricketing fans among us were glad to see the match be played by the world's two great cricketing nations. Many pundits such as Michael Holding even complained the tournament had been filled up with uncompetitive matches due to the quality of these two world-class sides.
Bring back the awards please, give this guy an Afridi and a skull for this, awesome

Uppercut

Hardly, they didn't even revive them for Burgey's image of the Ashes 05 open-top tour bus reversing through London while the Aussies throw candy at them.