• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Road to the 2009 Ashes

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
True. But the difference is minimal. If a fullish ball goes from turning 10 degrees to turning 0 degrees, it will still hit fairly comfortably on the face of the bat provided the correct line is played.
Any ball can be comfortably played if the batsmen plays the correct line.

Seriously though, I see your point. Unless the batsmen is inept (a distinct possiblity with West Indian tailenders), 10 degrees of turn shouldn't make that much of a difference if a batsmen manages to play the same line he would for a complete non-turner.

No, you're right, I've heard people say what you're saying before. TBH, I think many people are just seeking to give credit where it's not due - the "see the figures in the scorebook and try to find a way to justify why the player deserved them" effect. (Note: not everyone is of this nature)
To an extent, this applies to everyone. It's just that, in some cases, the reasons for praising the bowler happen to be justified.

MSP simply virtually never turned a ball that game. I lost count of the number of batsmen who were hit on the pads (not always given out BTW) that game by playing the break ball for turn, which just wasn't there. I'm not sure McGlashan isn't just imagining arm-balls because that way he can give MSP the credit which, frankly, most people want to give him, because he's so popular.
It's possible that McGlashan is imagining arm-balls, but it's doubtful. There's still a difference between a relative non-turning break ball and a genuine arm ball.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
If being within a year of the Ashes is an inspiration, why are England so **** most of the time?
Arguably because they seem to focus on the Ashes too heavily, while more pressing matters (like the recent series loss against an inconsistent South African side) are at hand.

Conversely, Australia do not appear to.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Arguably because they seem to focus on the Ashes too heavily, while more pressing matters (like the recent series loss against an inconsistent South African side) are at hand.

Conversely, Australia do not appear to.
I agree with that line of thinking. But Trescothick evidently doesn't.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/368809.html

Interesting take onthe build up from Trescothick.

Apparently he's at Engand training passing on his saliva secrets to the next generation. Well done him.
The apparant one-off nature of the thing appears to make it a bit less bad than otherwise - he seems to basically be saying that if England needed an opener to stand-in for 1 or 2 Tests then he'd be willing to do that.

Him playing the whole series would be dubious TSTL, but it might well have ITSTL results.

Burgey

The apparant one-off nature of the thing appears to make it a bit less bad than otherwise - he seems to basically be saying that if England needed an opener to stand-in for 1 or 2 Tests then he'd be willing to do that.

Him playing the whole series would be dubious TSTL, but it might well have ITSTL results.
Personally, if Trescothick wanted to play and was fit, I think it would be one of the more inspiratinal come backs in cricket.

I'd love to see him play again (assuming he wants to of course).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd be highly disappointed if any one-off comeback was against Australia, myself.

And BTW, if the catching was up-to-scratch (always been a big if when he's on strike I know) I'd fancy Lee and Clark against him any time of day, any day of year.

Burgey

Yeah, you're right of course.

Just being a bit of a romantic here - seeing a guy come back from rock bottom like that, even if he's English, would be quite something.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's a much more realistic hope of someone to do that (he's Welsh rather than English of course, but in cricket terms they're the same thing). And someone who has hopes of doing more than just playing the odd Test too.

I think Trescothick has already made about all the recovery that can be expected of him TBH, and we should be pleased for him that he's managed what he has.

And of course last summer we had Michael Vaughan playing another Test and scoring a heap of runs after many had completely written-off the chance of him doing such a thing again. That was truly wonderful. I've said it a few times, but to come back from a seemingly broken career is something that can never quite be bettered in sport.

Precambrian

Banned
I'd be highly disappointed if any one-off comeback was against Australia, myself.

And BTW, if the catching was up-to-scratch (always been a big if when he's on strike I know) I'd fancy Lee and Clark against him any time of day, any day of year.
I don't think he should be considered for selection unless he commits himself for all future England selections. Also a one off test participation could raise many questions regarding his motivation and commitment. He doesn't have to lose anything even if he bags a pair, and in an important series like the Ashes, that could be a big disadvantage.
Nope, I don't think Tresco would play again in English colours.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If Tresco offered to play for us in the Ashes and nothing else, I'd bite his hand off. It's completely immoral & unethical, but we've a better chance of winning with him in the side IMO

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Tresco offered to play for us in the Ashes and nothing else, I'd bite his hand off. It's completely immoral & unethical, but we've a better chance of winning with him in the side IMO
I honestly believe Strauss and Cook, playing at maximum capability, are far more technically capable of handling Lee and Clark than Trescothick is. However, the help Trescothick usually gets from fielders, Umpires and no-balling bowlers does need to be taken into account and hence you could viably argue that England's chances would be better with him in the side.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Got tickets to Edgbaston on the Friday. 75 quid a pop, and just got them in time. Friday and Saturday already sold out apparently.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Got tickets to Edgbaston on the Friday. 75 quid a pop, and just got them in time. Friday and Saturday already sold out apparently.
I'm not sure what to do about tickets. My only chance would be the Lords ballot, but I'm not sure I can justify the price at all. I'd be sad though because I normally go to watch other teams. Here's hoping Lords don't go mad with prices.

I do totally understand why they're hiking the prices though, and good luck to them.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sure what to do about tickets. My only chance would be the Lords ballot, but I'm not sure I can justify the price at all. I'd be sad though because I normally go to watch other teams. Here's hoping Lords don't go mad with prices.

I do totally understand why they're hiking the prices though, and good luck to them.
Yeah, it is a bit steep, but as you say understandable. If we want Test Matches to remain a serious proposition in todays market, they need to make a lot of money, when they can.

I just hope the weather's okay, every time I go to Birmingham it seems to rain.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, it is a bit steep, but as you say understandable. If we want Test Matches to remain a serious proposition in todays market, they need to make a lot of money, when they can.

I just hope the weather's okay, every time I go to Birmingham it seems to rain.
Lol, yeah, tests definitely > T20 for price. I've got a pair of T20 world cup tickets for £40 each, so for £80 that's a day out for two of us. You get two games so you'd hope that at least one would be good.

The test, you might get a really dull day or at the same time a really excellent one.

Plus my boyfriend (not a cricket fan at all) thinks tests are 'boring' but will quite happily come to the T20!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Headingley not out til December 1st, not hopeful of getting some tttt but I'll try my best through other means if I don't get one on general sale

Burgey

Have the various boards in England looked at building some grounds with decent capacities? I'm sure they could keep the grounds' heritage characteristicsin place re. the pavilions. It just seems odd you have a country with a large population and the test grounds hold comparatively small crowds.