• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's Your Aussie Ashes Squad?

howardj

International Coach
With the squad to be announced on Monday, here's my Test Squad of 17. It's a very predictable squad this year - the only 'bolter' being Dan Cullen.

Seven Bats

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Katich
Hodge

An All-Rounder

Watson

2 Keepers

Gilchrist
Haddin

2 Spinners

Warne
Cullen

5 Quicks

Lee
Tait
McGrath
Gillespie
Kasprowicz

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cannot believe that Cullen will beat MacGill.

Sure, he's got talent but he's not in the same league as a bowler.

Id send Haddin to county cricket and take Symonds or Hussey.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Cannot believe that Cullen will beat MacGill.

Sure, he's got talent but he's not in the same league as a bowler.

Id send Haddin to county cricket and take Symonds or Hussey.
You can't send someone to county cricket they have to be offered a contract and their isn't too many counties that want keepers, maybe he can get a contract as a batsmen. MacGill is diffently infront of Cullen but the selectors have shown that they prefer having a young spinner on tour with Warne and also if they need MacGill they can call him up from his county team. I got a feeling that Cullen or White might make the tour squad, but if Warne gets injured then MacGill will come in. My squad:

- Pointing (c)
- Gilchrist (vc & wk)
- Hayden
- Langer
- Martyn
- Katich
- Clarke
- Watson
- Haddin (wk)
- Warne
- Lee
- Gillespie
- Kapra
- MacGrath
- Tait
- Cullen

Standbys who are playing county from memory
- M Hussey
- B Hogde
- S MacGill
- A Symonds
- A Bichel

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

howardj said:
With the squad to be announced on Monday, here's my Test Squad of 17. It's a very predictable squad this year - the only 'bolter' being Dan Cullen.

Seven Bats

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Katich
Hodge

An All-Rounder

Watson

2 Keepers

Gilchrist
Haddin

2 Spinners

Warne
Cullen

5 Quicks

Lee
Tait
McGrath
Gillespie
Kasprowicz
nah mate dont think Cullen is going to get the nod over MaCGill both had excellent seasons but i think his experience in England will win him the nod, another debate could be Bracken/Tait. But the rest of the squad picks it self

it looks like Boofa's (Lehmann) carrer is over :-O

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

howardj said:
Gilchrist has made it very clear that he wants a reserve keeper in the squad
well if he didn't make it clear the selectors would have picked a reserve Keeper because that a pretty long tour even though players have fair rest between games looking at the schedule

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
aussie said:
another debate could be Bracken/Tait
A fairly one sided debate, I would have thought. The selectors have been wanting to take Tait to the Ashes since last summer.

It will be interesting to see what they do in terms of the make-up of the squad, and how many they take, considering the amount of Australians who will be playing County Cricket. I also think they will end up taking MacGill over Cullen, as I think Australians still see England as having a weakness against wrist spin. I'm not saying this is necessarily true, but that's what I feel is the general perception.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

vic_orthdox said:
A fairly one sided debate, I would have thought. The selectors have been wanting to take Tait to the Ashes since last summer.

It will be interesting to see what they do in terms of the make-up of the squad, and how many they take, considering the amount of Australians who will be playing County Cricket. I also think they will end up taking MacGill over Cullen, as I think Australians still see England as having a weakness against wrist spin. I'm not saying this is necessarily true, but that's what I feel is the general perception.
well i know the selectors have been wanting to take Tait to the ashes sice last summer but bracken has come on this well this season so it makes that 5th bowler position very interesting i for one would go for Tait.

Its also true that england haven't been known to great players of spin bowling thats why for me when England tour Pakistan & India this winter it will be intersting how they play, goin back to the piont, especially with wickets over here at the end of august going into september being conductive for spinners & with MacGilla experience could be handy for the aussies

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:

True but i doubt they will play two spinners on any of the pitches in England, so they will probably let MacGill play county cricket and stay match fit and bring him into the squad if Warnie gets injuried. It harsh on MacGill cus he would rather be in the squad then play county cricket, but the selectors seem to favor letting a young spinner go on tour with Warnie and bring MacGill in if he gets injured

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
aussie said:
but bracken has come on this well this season
so i guess tait hasn't. yup, breaking the south australian record for most wickets in a season means that bracken must have had a much better first class season. 8-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

vic_orthdox said:
so i guess tait hasn't. yup, breaking the south australian record for most wickets in a season means that bracken must have had a much better first class season. 8-)
well i mean that, i know that Tait has had an good season but Bracken didn't start that well but came on well at the end of the season & would give the selectors a minor headache over that 5th Seamer

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
well i mean that, i know that Tait has had an good season but Bracken didn't start that well but came on well at the end of the season & would give the selectors a minor headache over that 5th Seamer
I reckon Tait is better than Lee - much the same type of bowler, but better. He's where Lee was five years ago.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

howardj said:
I reckon Tait is better than Lee - much the same type of bowler, but better. He's where Lee was five years ago.
well thats a valid point mate, all tait needs is debut 5 wicket haul an its Lee in reincarnation :D

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
So ur saying that Lee was better 5 years ago then now 8-)

howardj

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
So ur saying that Lee was better 5 years ago then now 8-)
I think he was more effective, yeah. Anyone who watched his last Test Match would probably agree.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
I think he was more effective, yeah. Anyone who watched his last Test Match would probably agree.
Firstly his last test was 14 months ago and secondly he wasn't no where near full fittness for that Test Series aganist India. Everyone forgives Gillespie for his poor form in that Test Series cus he wasn't fully fit, but they seems to forget that Brett Lee was also not fully fit.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I think that the squad will be as listed in the first post except that MacGill will be picked instead of Cullen. His day will come.

Personally I would select Hussey instead of Hodge so that there is a spare opener. Katich should not be used as a test opener.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

The Argonaut said:
I think that the squad will be as listed in the first post except that MacGill will be picked instead of Cullen. His day will come.

Personally I would select Hussey instead of Hodge so that there is a spare opener. Katich should not be used as a test opener.
fair point mate selecting Hussey has a back up opener wont be a bad option, maybe they should pick 18 in stead of 17

howardj

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
Firstly his last test was 14 months ago and secondly he wasn't no where near full fittness for that Test Series aganist India. Everyone forgives Gillespie for his poor form in that Test Series cus he wasn't fully fit, but they seems to forget that Brett Lee was also not fully fit.
That last Test Match that he played was just a continuation of his form before that, because in his last 10 Test Matches he averages 37.