Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Aussie Ashes Squad?

What's Your Aussie Ashes Squad?

With the squad to be announced on Monday, here's my Test Squad of 17. It's a very predictable squad this year - the only 'bolter' being Dan Cullen.

Seven Bats

Hayden
    Langer
    Ponting
    Martyn
    Clarke
    Katich
    Hodge

An All-Rounder

Watson

2 Keepers

Gilchrist
    Haddin

2 Spinners

Warne
    Cullen

5 Quicks

Lee
    Tait
    McGrath
    Gillespie
    Kasprowicz

Cannot believe that Cullen will beat MacGill.

Sure, he's got talent but he's not in the same league as a bowler.

Id send Haddin to county cricket and take Symonds or Hussey.

Gilchrist has made it very clear that he wants a reserve keeper in the squad

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social
    Cannot believe that Cullen will beat MacGill.

Sure, he's got talent but he's not in the same league as a bowler.

Id send Haddin to county cricket and take Symonds or Hussey.
    You can't send someone to county cricket they have to be offered a contract and their isn't too many counties that want keepers, maybe he can get a contract as a batsmen. MacGill is diffently infront of Cullen but the selectors have shown that they prefer having a young spinner on tour with Warne and also if they need MacGill they can call him up from his county team. I got a feeling that Cullen or White might make the tour squad, but if Warne gets injured then MacGill will come in. My squad:

- Pointing (c)
    - Gilchrist (vc & wk)
    - Hayden
    - Langer
    - Martyn
    - Katich
    - Clarke
    - Watson
    - Haddin (wk)
    - Warne
    - Lee
    - Gillespie
    - Kapra
    - MacGrath
    - Tait
    - Cullen

Standbys who are playing county from memory
    - M Hussey
    - B Hogde
    - S MacGill
    - A Symonds
    - A Bichel
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

aussie

Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    With the squad to be announced on Monday, here's my Test Squad of 17. It's a very predictable squad this year - the only 'bolter' being Dan Cullen.

Seven Bats

Hayden
    Langer
    Ponting
    Martyn
    Clarke
    Katich
    Hodge

An All-Rounder

Watson

2 Keepers

Gilchrist
    Haddin

2 Spinners

Warne
    Cullen

5 Quicks

Lee
    Tait
    McGrath
    Gillespie
    Kasprowicz
    nah mate dont think Cullen is going to get the nod over MaCGill both had excellent seasons but i think his experience in England will win him the nod, another debate could be Bracken/Tait. But the rest of the squad picks it self

it looks like Boofa's (Lehmann) carrer is over

aussie

Gilchrist has made it very clear that he wants a reserve keeper in the squad
    well if he didn't make it clear the selectors would have picked a reserve Keeper because that a pretty long tour even though players have fair rest between games looking at the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    another debate could be Bracken/Tait
    A fairly one sided debate, I would have thought. The selectors have been wanting to take Tait to the Ashes since last summer.

It will be interesting to see what they do in terms of the make-up of the squad, and how many they take, considering the amount of Australians who will be playing County Cricket. I also think they will end up taking MacGill over Cullen, as I think Australians still see England as having a weakness against wrist spin. I'm not saying this is necessarily true, but that's what I feel is the general perception.

aussie

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    A fairly one sided debate, I would have thought. The selectors have been wanting to take Tait to the Ashes since last summer.

It will be interesting to see what they do in terms of the make-up of the squad, and how many they take, considering the amount of Australians who will be playing County Cricket. I also think they will end up taking MacGill over Cullen, as I think Australians still see England as having a weakness against wrist spin. I'm not saying this is necessarily true, but that's what I feel is the general perception.
    well i know the selectors have been wanting to take Tait to the ashes sice last summer but bracken has come on this well this season so it makes that 5th bowler position very interesting i for one would go for Tait.

Its also true that england haven't been known to great players of spin bowling thats why for me when England tour Pakistan & India this winter it will be intersting how they play, goin back to the piont, especially with wickets over here at the end of august going into september being conductive for spinners & with MacGilla experience could be handy for the aussies

True but i doubt they will play two spinners on any of the pitches in England, so they will probably let MacGill play county cricket and stay match fit and bring him into the squad if Warnie gets injuried. It harsh on MacGill cus he would rather be in the squad then play county cricket, but the selectors seem to favor letting a young spinner go on tour with Warnie and bring MacGill in if he gets injured

but bracken has come on this well this season
    so i guess tait hasn't. yup, breaking the south australian record for most wickets in a season means that bracken must have had a much better first class season.

aussie

so i guess tait hasn't. yup, breaking the south australian record for most wickets in a season means that bracken must have had a much better first class season.
    well i mean that, i know that Tait has had an good season but Bracken didn't start that well but came on well at the end of the season & would give the selectors a minor headache over that 5th Seamer

well i mean that, i know that Tait has had an good season but Bracken didn't start that well but came on well at the end of the season & would give the selectors a minor headache over that 5th Seamer
    I reckon Tait is better than Lee - much the same type of bowler, but better. He's where Lee was five years ago.

aussie

I reckon Tait is better than Lee - much the same type of bowler, but better. He's where Lee was five years ago.
    well thats a valid point mate, all tait needs is debut 5 wicket haul an its Lee in reincarnation

So ur saying that Lee was better 5 years ago then now

two months ago i would have said that. now....i'm not as sure.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information