• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's Your Aussie Ashes Squad?

howardj

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
For me Hussey is a better opinion then Hodge, he is as good in the middle order and he can bat at the top as well, but it would be a pretty close call either way.

Also u have to remember that in all 3 Test aganist NZ the selectors played the same eleven, so there is a good chance that the guys selected will not get a game, unless injuries or they lose games. With that in consideration it might be a better idea to allow guys like MacGill, Hussey and Hogde to play county cricket and stay match fit. Unless Australia get behind in the Test Series there not likely going to drop Clarke. If they keep winning he might stay in the side, unless he has a really bad run. Australia have a habit of keeping the same guys going throughout a Test Series. If u look back to India last season there would have been pressure to give Kaspra a game when India won in Adelialde but they kept their faith in Williams, Bracken and Bichel. Then they dropped them after the Test Series.
The reserve guys will do the same, to keep in form, as they have done in past Ashes tours - play the tour games. There's a tour game between the first and second tests, between the third and fourth tests, and two tour games between the fourth and fifth tests. Besides, you cant just pull guys in and out of County cricket on a match-by-match basis. The Counties have international player quotas to consider. As soon as the squad is announced, they'll finalise their international player signings.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
The reserve guys will do the same, to keep in form, as they have done in past Ashes tours - play the tour games. There's a tour game between the first and second tests, between the third and fourth tests, and two tour games between the fourth and fifth tests. Besides, you cant just pull guys in and out of County cricket on a match-by-match basis. The Counties have international player quotas to consider. As soon as the squad is announced, they'll finalise their international player signings.
Unless there is injuries i can't see Australia making too many changes to their 1st XI and u can take players out of county cricket if players get injured.

howardj

International Coach
Of course you can, and they then become part of the squad. But you wouldnt have squad members going back n forth from tour games, and then playing for Counties also. The Counties - and probably the players involved - would demand more certainty than that.

I agree with you though that the XI probably wont change too much. The only changes - besides injury - that I can see are Hodge for Clarke, and Lee for Kasprowicz. But that's probably later in the series, subject to the performances of the incumbents.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Of course you can, and they then become part of the squad. But you wouldnt have squad members going back n forth from tour games, and then playing for Counties also. The Counties - and probably the players involved - would demand more certainty than that.

I agree with you though that the XI probably wont change too much. The only changes - besides injury - that I can see are Hodge for Clarke, and Lee for Kasprowicz. But that's probably later in the series, subject to the performances of the incumbents.
The players wouldn't go into and out of the team, they would only come into the sqaud if there is an injury. I still think it would be better for guys like Hodge and Hussey to play county cricket then play 4 or 5 tour games over 2-3 months.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
First years in ages, there have been no shock selections in either format.

Lock it in - 5-0.
Very conservitive they must be taking this series serious, makes you wonder what they were thinking before the India Series. Good to see Haddin in for both ODI and Tests, deserves his spot.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha that is rather funny. Cricinfo predicted it, most of us predicted it! Exactly the same squads! Cool... :cool:

telsor

U19 12th Man
The Australian selectors have contributed their Ashes squad...

Ricky Ponting (capt),
Adam Gilchrist (v-capt),
Michael Clarke,
Jason Gillespie,
Brad Haddin,
Matthew Hayden,
Brad Hodge,
Michael Kasprowicz,
Simon Katich,
Justin Langer,
Brett Lee,
Stuart MacGill,
Damien Martyn,
Glenn McGrath,
Shaun Tait,
Shane Warne.

howardj

International Coach
telsor said:
The Australian selectors have contributed their Ashes squad...

Ricky Ponting (capt),
Adam Gilchrist (v-capt),
Michael Clarke,
Jason Gillespie,
Brad Haddin,
Matthew Hayden,
Brad Hodge,
Michael Kasprowicz,
Simon Katich,
Justin Langer,
Brett Lee,
Stuart MacGill,
Damien Martyn,
Glenn McGrath,
Shaun Tait,
Shane Warne.
Thanks scoop :p

Just jokes

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Sad to see Simon Katich dropped from the ashes squad for Brother Michael ;)

cricinfo screw up again....

no surprises there really

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
age_master said:
Sad to see Simon Katich dropped from the ashes squad for Brother Michael ;)

cricinfo screw up again....
I reckon! The main heading at the top of the page not long ago said 'Chandrepual'. That`s just funny...

Dydl

International Debutant
MacGill's first Ashes tour was announced on the channel 9 news headlines! The footage was of him going up to someone (could have been Border) and got a medal?!

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
Dydl said:
MacGill's first Ashes tour was announced on the channel 9 news headlines! The footage was of him going up to someone (could have been Border) and got a medal?!
Pity he won't get a Test over there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What's the deal with Tait? I hope he's bowling better for SA than he did for Durham last year. He was poor above & beyond according to all reports.

Is he just there so Dizzy has someone to bunk with?! :D

Link

State Vice-Captain
im looking forward to seeing tait, but not as much as pietersen in a test match shirt

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:
What's the deal with Tait? I hope he's bowling better for SA than he did for Durham last year. He was poor above & beyond according to all reports.

Is he just there so Dizzy has someone to bunk with?! :D
He is a very good bowler these days. Has great pace and accuracy. Of his 65 wickets in the Pura Cup this season he had 19 bowled and 17 LBW.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hoggy said:
Pity he won't get a Test over there.
its a possibility but has you said its unlikely, if he going to play a test it could be for two reasons one if Warne is injured or something happens to him or if the australian selectors feel like using a second spinning option in either the 4th or 5th test