• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's Your Aussie Ashes Squad?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
One example of how it isn't easy, how many season has Hodge played, if i wanted to look at his domestic record it would take for ever to look how well his preformed throghout his career each season.
Not his county seasons!

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
His only game for Australia IIRC is a tour game in India. He hasn't played a ODI or test.
So he would have played for 'The Australians', but not 'Australia'.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
cameeel said:
On numbers alone, Hodge certainly has a case to be in the side
On numbers alone Micheal Beven would be one of the first guys picked in the Test Squad, but numbers don't mean u are going to make a Test Squad, but he has a bid shot anyaway

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hmm 17 players

M Hayden
J Langer
R Ponting (c)
D Martyn
M Clarke
S Katich
A Gilchrist
S Warne
J Gillespie
M Kasprowics
G McGrath
B Lee

those 12 are all certainties

now 5 more.
hmm

Haddin
MacGill
M Hussey
S Watson
P Jaques

i would be pretty sure of the first 4, Jaques had a good season domestically and has played pretty well in county cricket from memory

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
actually hodge will probably get picked over Hussey, maybe both who knows. being a big hussey fan i certainly hope he gets picked

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Hodge
Clarke
Katich
Gilchrist
Haddin
Watson
Warne
MacGill
Lee
Gillespie
Kasprowicz
McGrath
Bracken

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The 5 extra players will include one pacer as well, not three batsmen. One keeper (Haddin), one spinner (Macgill or maybe Cullen, probably Macgill), one pacer (Tait or maybe Bracken, almost certainly Tait), two batsmen (Hodge or maybe Hussey, and Watson for his all-round abilities).

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What with all these squads of 17 to 18 players it not a 7 Match Test Series. They will probably pick 15 or 16.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
What with all these squads of 17 to 18 players it not a 7 Match Test Series. They will probably pick 15 or 16.
I believe 17 is traditional. The match 12 plus two batsmen, two bowlers and a keeper.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I believe 17 is traditional. The match 12 plus two batsmen, two bowlers and a keeper.
Yeah ur right they had 17 in the last tour of England, but i think they may go for 16 cus of how many players they have in England playing county cricket.

howardj

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
Yeah ur right they had 17 in the last tour of England, but i think they may go for 16 cus of how many players they have in England playing county cricket.
The Australian newspaper today states quite categorically that only 16 players will be chosen. This, the article speculates, means that Watson will miss out

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12725767%5E2722,00.html

From the squad in the article, in terms of covering all eventualities, I would leave Tait out, and just take the four pacers, plus Watson. Gives the squad more flexibility. Be weird only having just the one reserve batsman, as well as no Watson.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
The Australian newspaper today states quite categorically that only 16 players will be chosen. This, the article speculates, means that Watson will miss out

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12725767%5E2722,00.html

From the squad in the article, in terms of covering all eventualities, I would leave Tait out, and just take the four pacers, plus Watson. Gives the squad more flexibility. Be weird only having just the one reserve batsman, as well as no Watson.
I think 16 is about right, their is no point in bringing guys on the tour and they don't play a game. Last tour i think Damien Fleming and Colin Miller both didn't play a game.Also on the sqaud that writer picked, it just one man's opinion and last time i checked he wasn't a selector. For me the sqaud will be simlar to the one that went to India minus the two spiners, MacGill or Cullen in for one of the spinners (most likey MacGill, unless playing County cricket comes into play) and an extra keeper. Hussey might also push Hogde out if he has a really good OD Series. If they only want 16 players then i think Watson would just get infront of Tait. The other option is to drop a batsmen and bring in Tait, as both Hussey and Hodge would be playing county cricket (similar to the MacGill issue).

howardj

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
I think 16 is about right, their is no point in bringing guys on the tour and they don't play a game. Last tour i think Damien Fleming and Colin Miller both didn't play a game.Also on the sqaud that writer picked, it just one man's opinion and last time i checked he wasn't a selector. For me the sqaud will be simlar to the one that went to India minus the two spiners, MacGill or Cullen in for one of the spinners (most likey MacGill, unless playing County cricket comes into play) and an extra keeper. Hussey might also push Hogde out if he has a really good OD Series. If they only want 16 players then i think Watson would just get infront of Tait. The other option is to drop a batsmen and bring in Tait, as both Hussey and Hodge would be playing county cricket (similar to the MacGill issue).
Anybody who they want in the squad, they will pick. They wont just leave guys out on the basis they can be called in because they are playing County cricket. On Ashes tours, Australian county players only ever get called in if there are injuries, they don't get called in to play to cover for lack of original numbers.

Also, Hussey will not be included at Hodge's expense, as there is more doubt about Michael Clarke's form and credentials, than Hayden or Langer. The reserve batsman will be a middle-order player. In the unlikely event Hodge does miss out, it would be to Watson, not Hussey.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Anybody who they want in the squad, they will pick. They wont just leave guys out on the basis they can be called in because they are playing County cricket. On Ashes tours, Australian county players only ever get called in if there are injuries, they don't get called in to play to cover for lack of original numbers.

Also, Hussey will not be included at Hodge's expense, as there is more doubt about Michael Clarke's form and credentials, than Hayden or Langer. The reserve batsman will be a middle-order player. In the unlikely event Hodge does miss out, it would be to Watson, not Hussey.
For me Hussey is a better opinion then Hodge, he is as good in the middle order and he can bat at the top as well, but it would be a pretty close call either way.

Also u have to remember that in all 3 Test aganist NZ the selectors played the same eleven, so there is a good chance that the guys selected will not get a game, unless injuries or they lose games. With that in consideration it might be a better idea to allow guys like MacGill, Hussey and Hogde to play county cricket and stay match fit. Unless Australia get behind in the Test Series there not likely going to drop Clarke. If they keep winning he might stay in the side, unless he has a really bad run. Australia have a habit of keeping the same guys going throughout a Test Series. If u look back to India last season there would have been pressure to give Kaspra a game when India won in Adelialde but they kept their faith in Williams, Bracken and Bichel. Then they dropped them after the Test Series.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
For me Hussey is a better opinion then Hodge, he is as good in the middle order and he can bat at the top as well, but it would be a pretty close call either way.

Also u have to remember that in all 3 Test aganist NZ the selectors played the same eleven, so there is a good chance that the guys selected will not get a game, unless injuries or they lose games. With that in consideration it might be a better idea to allow guys like MacGill, Hussey and Hogde to play county cricket and stay match fit. Unless Australia get behind in the Test Series there not likely going to drop Clarke. If they keep winning he might stay in the side, unless he has a really bad run. Australia have a habit of keeping the same guys going throughout a Test Series. If u look back to India last season there would have been pressure to give Kaspra a game when India won in Adelialde but they kept their faith in Williams, Bracken and Bichel. Then they dropped them after the Test Series.
Yeah, I think you are right. Still, if Kasprowicz continues the way he was going in New Zealand and Lee has a good run in the ODI series and the tour matches it is possible Lee will get his foot in the door before the series starts, or if not that Kasprowicz will be "rested" for the fourth and fifth tests or something. In the last Ashes series they dropped Bichel for Lee coming into the fifth test, and Lee had a good time of it opening the bowling in Sydney so they kept him going after the series.