Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Aussie Ashes Squad?

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    michael hussey will probably be over in england anyways, same with brad hodge. either way, if one of them is required, they'll only be a phone call away. it'd be interesting to know whether with guys like hodge, hussey and haddin whether the selectors would prefer them, cricketing wise, playing county cricket and risk being overworked, or on tour and get less match time than they otherwise would.
    Anyway to your orginal question i think the answer is that they would rather then playing county cricket and staying match fit then being in the touring party and hardly getting any games. I think the same would apply to MacGill, look at Brett Lee ur better of being match fit then sitting on the sidelines.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

aussie

well since you have brought up Lee, it doesn't look like he will be playing for any county before the ashes, i heard his manager said that australia have a camp in may & he will just maintain fitness until then

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    I reckon Tait is better than Lee - much the same type of bowler, but better. He's where Lee was five years ago.
    No way. Tait is a great talent, but he has a HEAP of problems he needs to fix with his action. Lee five years ago had action problems as well, but they were never as bad as Tait's, and he has fixed them and is a far better bowler today.

Having said that, I'd like to see Tait given a run in a tour game and maybe an ODI or two as well. If he's going on an Ashes tour as the heir apparant to the Australian seam attack he should be given as much experience as possible.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

My squad is the same as everybody elses, with Macgill in ahead of Cullen. Cullen will have his time if he has another good season or two in the Pura Cup. In case of injury Hussey will be the back-up opener from the county system. Watch for a Lee inclusion if Kasprowicz has a poor start to the tour. I don't think Watson will get to play in a test this time, either.

you reckon its that bad? there's no counter-rotation with the arms, its actually really simple, as long as he isn't getting past the side on angle, which he doesn't usually seem to be. i don't think his action will be any worse on his body than any other bowler. but, i'm no biomechanist.

you reckon its that bad? there's no counter-rotation with the arms, its actually really simple, as long as he isn't getting past the side on angle, which he doesn't usually seem to be. i don't think his action will be any worse on his body than any other bowler. but, i'm no biomechanist.
    Well neither am I, but I was actually talking about technical problems with his action that will negatively impact on his bowling than injury issues. Lee early in his career had a problem with his point of release being too low, which can sometimes allow a little more pace but also reduces bounce and can take the slips out of the equation somewhat. It didn't hurt him too much early on, but I think he's a much better bowler now that he's fixed it, and Tait has the same sort of problem, except worse.

Aside from that, his front leg tends to collapse in delivery stride which would make him prone to back problems, and bowlers with that kind of slinging action tend to be prone to shoulder injuries as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    My squad is the same as everybody elses, with Macgill in ahead of Cullen. Cullen will have his time if he has another good season or two in the Pura Cup. In case of injury Hussey will be the back-up opener from the county system. Watch for a Lee inclusion if Kasprowicz has a poor start to the tour. I don't think Watson will get to play in a test this time, either.
    If Clarke form doesn't improve i think Watson may get a Test, a five Test Match Series is a long one and i don't think they will play the same eleven for every test. I think they will use atleast 14 guys throughout the Test Series, not including the current XI i think Lee, Watson and MacGill will all get a Test.

yeah. i just hope that tait doesn't get told too much about how to bowl. he must keep on bowling as he is at the moment, and not get worried about trying to implement too much of the mcgrath robotic lengths, like i believe lee did for a while. tait's greatest strength is that, in my view, he bowls more wicket-taking deliveries than most doing the rounds at the moment. he consistently beats batsmen all ends up, through movement and pace.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    If Clarke form doesn't improve i think Watson may get a Test, a five Test Match Series is a long one and i don't think they will play the same eleven for every test. I think they will use atleast 14 guys throughout the Test Series, not including the current XI i think Lee, Watson and MacGill will all get a Test.
    i'd prefer to see someone with experience in english conditions, i.e. hussey or hodge, get a game if clarke or anyone else were to be outed.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Well neither am I, but I was actually talking about technical problems with his action that will negatively impact on his bowling than injury issues. Lee early in his career had a problem with his point of release being too low, which can sometimes allow a little more pace but also reduces bounce and can take the slips out of the equation somewhat. It didn't hurt him too much early on, but I think he's a much better bowler now that he's fixed it, and Tait has the same sort of problem, except worse.

Aside from that, his front leg tends to collapse in delivery stride which would make him prone to back problems, and bowlers with that kind of slinging action tend to be prone to shoulder injuries as well.
    He took 60 first class wickets in the summer just gone. I dont think his action has negatively impacted on him at all. Furthermore, he has strung together many consecutive games without injury.

Squad of 15

Langer
    Hayden
    Ponting
    Martyn
    Katich
    Clarke
    Gilchrist
    Warne
    Lee
    Gillespie
    McGrath

Then:

Hodge
    MacGill
    Tait
    Symonds
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

i'd prefer to see someone with experience in english conditions, i.e. hussey or hodge, get a game if clarke or anyone else were to be outed.
    Watson played for Hamsphire (i think) when Warne and Clarke were on International duty, he only played a couple of games but he also played for a League side when not playing for Hamsphire or their 2nd XI side. That english experience isn't it.

its not averaging well over 50 for multiple seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by cameeel
    Squad of 15

Langer
    Hayden
    Ponting
    Martyn
    Katich
    Clarke
    Gilchrist
    Warne
    Lee
    Gillespie
    McGrath

Then:

Hodge
    MacGill
    Tait
    Symonds
    No Kaspra no Haddin, i don't know about that, also no Watson (he adds depth to any squad).

its not averaging well over 50 for multiple seasons.
    Most batsmen of any note average over 50 in Division 2, i could be wrong but that is what Hodge and Hussey played. One example is Brad Hogg who averaged 76 with the bat last season in county cricket.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information