• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's Your Aussie Ashes Squad?

cameeel

International Captain
Squad of 15

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Katich
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

Then:

Hodge
MacGill
Tait
Symonds

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
i'd prefer to see someone with experience in english conditions, i.e. hussey or hodge, get a game if clarke or anyone else were to be outed.
Watson played for Hamsphire (i think) when Warne and Clarke were on International duty, he only played a couple of games but he also played for a League side when not playing for Hamsphire or their 2nd XI side. That english experience isn't it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
cameeel said:
Squad of 15

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Katich
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

Then:

Hodge
MacGill
Tait
Symonds
No Kaspra no Haddin, i don't know about that, also no Watson (he adds depth to any squad).

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
its not averaging well over 50 for multiple seasons.
Most batsmen of any note average over 50 in Division 2, i could be wrong but that is what Hodge and Hussey played. One example is Brad Hogg who averaged 76 with the bat last season in county cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
long term spells over in england count for more than a couple of games and league cricket, where conditions are going to be different to what is produced for first class and test cricket. coupled to the fact that hodge and hussey should be in front of watson for a game as batsmen.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
He took 60 first class wickets in the summer just gone. I dont think his action has negatively impacted on him at all. Furthermore, he has strung together many consecutive games without injury.
I'm not saying he is anything but a supreme talent, but he's not better than Lee yet, not by a long shot. Lee had a good run in FC cricket before he was picked too, and had an awesome start to his test career. He's still a much better bowler now than he was 5 years ago.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
long term spells over in england count for more than a couple of games and league cricket, where conditions are going to be different to what is produced for first class and test cricket. coupled to the fact that hodge and hussey should be in front of watson for a game as batsmen.
Hodge and Hussey are in front as a batsmen but we all know Australia has been looking for an all rounder for some time.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i'm pretty sure that mike hussey played division 1 last year. stand to be corrected, though. just think that hussey, especially, has been overlooked far too often, and has been so consistent over so long. and i don't believe that if we lose a batsman, we should compromise the state of our batting order for the sake of an all-rounder, which in recent times we haven't needed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm not saying he is anything but a supreme talent, but he's not better than Lee yet, not by a long shot. Lee had a good run in FC cricket before he was picked too, and had an awesome start to his test career. He's still a much better bowler now than he was 5 years ago.
would be interested to see how many first class wickets brett lee took before getting a game in the australian side. from memory, he hadn't really strung a full season together, he's selection came on the back of a few good games and then bowling fireballs at the waca for nsw when mark and steve waugh were playing.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
i'm pretty sure that mike hussey played division 1 last year. stand to be corrected, though. just think that hussey, especially, has been overlooked far too often, and has been so consistent over so long. and i don't believe that if we lose a batsman, we should compromise the state of our batting order for the sake of an all-rounder, which in recent times we haven't needed.
Last season Hussey played half a season for Gloucestershire, who were a Div1 side, but most of his county cricket has been for Notts who were a Div 2 side when he played for them. On Watson the guy does average 45 with the bat in FC, i think that coupled with his bowling would get in front of Hussey or Hodge, but it doesn't matter which way u go IMO. Interesting note that Hodge's FC average is 47.5, not much better the Watson, Hussey's is 51.7 BTW.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
My squad

Langer
Hayden
Hussey - spare opener
Ponting
Martyn
Katich
Clarke

Gilchrist

Haddin
Watson

Warne
MacGill

Gillespie
McGrath
Kaspa
Tait
Lee

I don't think Hodge will be picked as both Watson and Haddin can fit the role of middle order batsman. Watson can also fill in a bowler's role. They will take Hussey to give the openers a break or if Hayden continues to fail.(unlikely though)

Tait and MacGill can't be ignored after stellar seasons.
Cullen still might go if they pick 17 for the experiance.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Last season Hussey played half a season for Gloucestershire, who were a Div1 side, but most of his county cricket has been for Notts who were a Div 2 side when he played for them. On Watson the guy does average 45 with the bat in FC, i think that coupled with his bowling would get in front of Hussey or Hodge, but it doesn't matter which way u go IMO. Interesting note that Hodge's FC average is 47.5, not much better the Watson, Hussey's is 51.7 BTW.
yes, thats true. but his figures from 1999 onwards would make much better reading. after a stellar first year, where he nearly got 1000 runs in about 1994/95 (from memory), he didn't make more than 500 runs for about 6 seasons after that. it is only in the new millenium that he's really found his feet as a batsman.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
yes, thats true. but his figures from 1999 onwards would make much better reading. after a stellar first year, where he nearly got 1000 runs in about 1994/95 (from memory), he didn't make more than 500 runs for about 6 seasons after that. it is only in the new millenium that he's really found his feet as a batsman.
Your right, but i still think that Watson is a better option then Hodge or Hussey cus of his bowling. BTW do u know an Australian website that has the domestic stats for players, like CricInfo does with English players.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
Your right, but i still think that Watson is a better option then Hodge or Hussey cus of his bowling. BTW do u know an Australian website that has the domestic stats for players, like CricInfo does with English players.
Cricinfo does stats for all FC players.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh wait, I think I know what you're talking about now...

It's still easy enough to do if you go to each season and pull up the person you want in the 'runs by alphabetical' section.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Casson said:
Oh wait, I think I know what you're talking about now...

It's still easy enough to do if you go to each season and pull up the person you want in the 'runs by alphabetical' section.
One example of how it isn't easy, how many season has Hodge played, if i wanted to look at his domestic record it would take for ever to look how well his preformed throghout his career each season.