• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's Your Aussie Ashes Squad?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
fair point mate selecting Hussey has a back up opener wont be a bad option, maybe they should pick 18 in stead of 17
I think they will pick 16 cus they have allot of guys playing county cricket if required

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
That last Test Match that he played was just a continuation of his form before that, because in his last 10 Test Matches he averages 37.
I think that is irrelevent considering he has played a Test in 14 months and it still doesn't make Tait a better bowler then him yet

howardj

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
I think that is irrelevent considering he has played a Test in 14 months and it still doesn't make Tait a better bowler then him yet
Did you ever think that one of the main reasons that he hasn't played a Test in 14 months may well actually be due to that recent Test average of 37, and his ordinary economy rate?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Did you ever think that one of the main reasons that he hasn't played a Test in 14 months may well actually be due to that recent Test average of 37, and his ordinary economy rate?
Yeah it does have an influence but i think injuries, lack of domestic cricket and the three guys infront of are the major reason. Just look at Sami, he keeps getting pick by Pakistan but has a worse record then Lee.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
michael hussey will probably be over in england anyways, same with brad hodge. either way, if one of them is required, they'll only be a phone call away. it'd be interesting to know whether with guys like hodge, hussey and haddin whether the selectors would prefer them, cricketing wise, playing county cricket and risk being overworked, or on tour and get less match time than they otherwise would.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
michael hussey will probably be over in england anyways, same with brad hodge. either way, if one of them is required, they'll only be a phone call away. it'd be interesting to know whether with guys like hodge, hussey and haddin whether the selectors would prefer them, cricketing wise, playing county cricket and risk being overworked, or on tour and get less match time than they otherwise would.
Has Haddin got a county contract cus i haven't heard of any???

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

chaminda_00 said:
Has Haddin got a county contract cus i haven't heard of any???
no he doesn't, haddin has never gone over to england to play county cricket

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i'm not saying that he has. i'm talking hypotheticals, the guys who would go on tour and struggle to play a test.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Anyway to your orginal question i think the answer is that they would rather then playing county cricket and staying match fit then being in the touring party and hardly getting any games. I think the same would apply to MacGill, look at Brett Lee ur better of being match fit then sitting on the sidelines.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

well since you have brought up Lee, it doesn't look like he will be playing for any county before the ashes, i heard his manager said that australia have a camp in may & he will just maintain fitness until then

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
I reckon Tait is better than Lee - much the same type of bowler, but better. He's where Lee was five years ago.
No way. Tait is a great talent, but he has a HEAP of problems he needs to fix with his action. Lee five years ago had action problems as well, but they were never as bad as Tait's, and he has fixed them and is a far better bowler today.

Having said that, I'd like to see Tait given a run in a tour game and maybe an ODI or two as well. If he's going on an Ashes tour as the heir apparant to the Australian seam attack he should be given as much experience as possible.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
My squad is the same as everybody elses, with Macgill in ahead of Cullen. Cullen will have his time if he has another good season or two in the Pura Cup. In case of injury Hussey will be the back-up opener from the county system. Watch for a Lee inclusion if Kasprowicz has a poor start to the tour. I don't think Watson will get to play in a test this time, either.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
you reckon its that bad? there's no counter-rotation with the arms, its actually really simple, as long as he isn't getting past the side on angle, which he doesn't usually seem to be. i don't think his action will be any worse on his body than any other bowler. but, i'm no biomechanist.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
you reckon its that bad? there's no counter-rotation with the arms, its actually really simple, as long as he isn't getting past the side on angle, which he doesn't usually seem to be. i don't think his action will be any worse on his body than any other bowler. but, i'm no biomechanist.
Well neither am I, but I was actually talking about technical problems with his action that will negatively impact on his bowling than injury issues. Lee early in his career had a problem with his point of release being too low, which can sometimes allow a little more pace but also reduces bounce and can take the slips out of the equation somewhat. It didn't hurt him too much early on, but I think he's a much better bowler now that he's fixed it, and Tait has the same sort of problem, except worse.

Aside from that, his front leg tends to collapse in delivery stride which would make him prone to back problems, and bowlers with that kind of slinging action tend to be prone to shoulder injuries as well.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
My squad is the same as everybody elses, with Macgill in ahead of Cullen. Cullen will have his time if he has another good season or two in the Pura Cup. In case of injury Hussey will be the back-up opener from the county system. Watch for a Lee inclusion if Kasprowicz has a poor start to the tour. I don't think Watson will get to play in a test this time, either.
If Clarke form doesn't improve i think Watson may get a Test, a five Test Match Series is a long one and i don't think they will play the same eleven for every test. I think they will use atleast 14 guys throughout the Test Series, not including the current XI i think Lee, Watson and MacGill will all get a Test.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
yeah. i just hope that tait doesn't get told too much about how to bowl. he must keep on bowling as he is at the moment, and not get worried about trying to implement too much of the mcgrath robotic lengths, like i believe lee did for a while. tait's greatest strength is that, in my view, he bowls more wicket-taking deliveries than most doing the rounds at the moment. he consistently beats batsmen all ends up, through movement and pace.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
If Clarke form doesn't improve i think Watson may get a Test, a five Test Match Series is a long one and i don't think they will play the same eleven for every test. I think they will use atleast 14 guys throughout the Test Series, not including the current XI i think Lee, Watson and MacGill will all get a Test.
i'd prefer to see someone with experience in english conditions, i.e. hussey or hodge, get a game if clarke or anyone else were to be outed.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Well neither am I, but I was actually talking about technical problems with his action that will negatively impact on his bowling than injury issues. Lee early in his career had a problem with his point of release being too low, which can sometimes allow a little more pace but also reduces bounce and can take the slips out of the equation somewhat. It didn't hurt him too much early on, but I think he's a much better bowler now that he's fixed it, and Tait has the same sort of problem, except worse.

Aside from that, his front leg tends to collapse in delivery stride which would make him prone to back problems, and bowlers with that kind of slinging action tend to be prone to shoulder injuries as well.
He took 60 first class wickets in the summer just gone. I dont think his action has negatively impacted on him at all. Furthermore, he has strung together many consecutive games without injury.