• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Its 2007 and it the start of the ashes in Australia, what would be your best xi

chris.hinton

International Captain
ok, so a lot of players are still to come though, but what would be your best xi of the players excisting for England and Australia

England

M.Trescothick
M.Vaughan (Captain)
J.Troughton
G.Muchall
R.Key (Please come good)
B.Shafayat
J.Foster
A.Flintoff
Leg spinner (Hey one has to come though in 2007)
S.Harminson
J.Anderson

Of others you have Kabir, Read, Solanki, Munir, Bell, Kadder, That 15 year old in Middlesex 2nd xi. Also there will be a few Fast Bowlers like Tremlett and other youngsters also jones and Kevin Peterson

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
No Pietersen?

Oh, come on. I've just read it again. It's complete and utter rubbish. Flintoff won't have retired by then (or perhaps he's your leg-spinner?).

Last edited:

Bazza

International 12th Man
Apart from it being too early to tell, how about:

Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
McGrath
Troughton
Flintoff
Pieterson
Read
Johnson
Jones
Anderson

Hey, I like to think some of these codgers (well Butcher) will still be around. I'm also assuming McGrath and Johnson will cement their places and Jonesy will make a full recovery.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Jones will barely able to bowl 5 overs in a row by the time we get to 2007....that action is going to haunt him in the future.

chris.hinton

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
No Pietersen?

Oh, come on. I've just read it again. It's complete and utter rubbish. Flintoff won't have retired by then (or perhaps he's your leg-spinner?).
Flintoff whould be 32 then, so he should be near the side

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I hope we haven't heard of half the players who will make the 2007 side yet - that'd be really something.

As Bumble would say "If they're good enough, gerrem in t'side."

Andre

International Regular
Here goes - an Aussie guessing an English side :)

Vaughan (c)
Trescothick / Key
Bell
Shah / Troughton / Thorpe
Lumb
Flintoff
Read / Philip Mustard
Bresnan (Eddie ;))
Sajjid Mahmood
Shaftab Khalid
Anderson.

Ok - Why?
Trescothick braceted - Simply because he can be horrible at times (think the winter tour / World Cup). By 2007, with a summer or 2 like that, he might just be gone.

Thorpe - If he's still playing he'd always be good enough.

Mustard - Potential Gilly?

Trevor Bresnan - Eddie likes him. Beware of the duck.

Khalid - Interesting looking spinner in the land of the seam.

Note: I havn't included Phil Jaques because he hasn't announced whether he will play for England or not. But if he elects to, count him in!

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Here goes!

1.MP Vaughan
2.MJ Wood (Yorkshire)
3.M Butcher
4.I Bell
5.K Pietersen
6.M Lumb
7.G Jones
8.A Flintoff
9.R Johnson
10.J Anderson
11.S Kirby

M Trescothick omission - I dont rate him against really top class bowling... I expect Aus will have some in 2007!

R Johnson will be getting on a bit, but he is very accurate and shouldnt have too many probs...

I did a 2007 South Africa thread too somewhere :)

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Whats the current age of the Aussies guys - I'm too lazy :p

I think it'll look something like:

opening batsmen:
possibly Matt Hayden, if not Hussey
-problem spot- (keep your eyes peeled out for a possible metoiric fast rise from Greg Hunt)

Hopefully Hayden is still around, giving some more time for our young openers to develop.

Middle Order:
Ricky Ponting (captain)
Michael Clarke
Martin Love
Marcus North

(bear in mind, Shane Watson may be in here, batting number 7 and as a fifth bowler, depending on how he comes along in the years)

Shaun Marsh will be therabouts as well, whilst possibly young Mark Cosgrove.

Keeper:
probably Gilchrist (keeper), if not Haddin or Clingeleffer

bowlers:
Beau Casson could very well be a gun left arm chinaman, otherwise Hauritz and White will be thereabouts

Brett Lee (hopefully a matured)
50/50 Jason Gillespie
possibly Glen McGrath

next in line quicky would be Ashley Noffke than I reckon Paul Rofe.

Nathan Bracken, Damien MacKenzie and Scott Brant could also be in the mix, and don't write off Aaron Bird.

A few others around as well -

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How old is Butcher? I thought he would have defnately retired by then. In fact, for England's sake I hop he retires soon....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And why for England's sake?

He is a very consistent number 3 who is averaging around the 40 mark since his return to the side.

chris.hinton

International Captain
ok i will take a stab at the aussie squad for 2007

M.Hussey
M.North
R.Ponting
S.Marsh
M.Clarke
A.Gilcrist
S.Watson
B.Lee
C.White
J.Gillispie
N.Braken

N.Hauritz (12 th man)

hourn

U19 Cricketer
chris.hinton said:
i don't know about him.

I don't think he'll ever crack it to be a permanent member of the test team - he bowls to many full tosses.

Added to that, our first grade plays pretty regularly against him and they all reckon he's an absolute **** of the first degree.......