• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Its 2007 and it the start of the ashes in Australia, what would be your best xi

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
ok i will take a stab at the aussie squad for 2007

M.Hussey
M.North
R.Ponting
S.Marsh
M.Clarke
A.Gilcrist
S.Watson
B.Lee
C.White
J.Gillispie
N.Braken

N.Hauritz (12 th man)
I hope that's Cam White, Chalky's getting on a bit :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Welcome to CricketWeb!

We've done this argument before, mate :)

I was in your position.

I lost :D
But aren't you pleased to be proved wrong in this instance?

There's others you've lost (Fulton), but not one that you've been as wrong as you were here! ;)

Andre

International Regular
hourn said:
i don't know about him.

I don't think he'll ever crack it to be a permanent member of the test team - he bowls to many full tosses.

Added to that, our first grade plays pretty regularly against him and they all reckon he's an absolute **** of the first degree.......
Ditto.

Bracken is by far the most overrated cricketer in Australia. He's got limited skills with the ball and bowls with a very flat trajectory - not a good combination.

New South Wales don't pick him on occassions even - eg, in the Pura Cup last year, they opted for a Don Nash / Doug Bollinger / Stuart MacGill / Stuart Clark attack. This was the last game Bracken has been avaliable for his state, making him effectively the second choice left armer (behind Bollinger) in the state and the 6th choice quick (McGrath, B. Lee, Clark, Nicholson, Bollinger, Nash).

I'm willing to place a bet for boasting rights with anyone that Bracken will never play Test cricket.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Bracken maybe wont play test cricket but hes pretty good in the OD game

however what i have seen of Bollinger hes worse

Andre

International Regular
age_master said:
however what i have seen of Bollinger hes worse
At this stage of their developments, that may be true. However, Bollinger possesses something Bracken will never have - raw pace.

This, as we have seen, can get fast bowlers (who are arguable selections in the national side - Harmison, Best, Hayward) into the national set-up, and with the right coaching (Brett Lee) they can eventually succeed despite being wayward early on, so Bollinger has something.

Just a tip - watch for a huge summer from Nicholson.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Andre said:

Just a tip - watch for a huge summer from Nicholson.

Woah, is that the same Nicholson who bowled against England way back in 1999? Didnt seem too bad, and ive completely forgotten about him.. :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Andre said:
At this stage of their developments, that may be true. However, Bollinger possesses something Bracken will never have - raw pace.
Nope. Bollinger possesses something Bracken will never have - ethanol.

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
chris.hinton said:

M.Hussey
M.North
R.Ponting
S.Marsh
M.Clarke
A.Gilcrist
S.Watson
B.Lee
C.White
J.Gillispie
N.Braken

N.Hauritz (12 th man)
Why has everyone forgot the likes of Ian Markus?

Cloete

International Captain
chris.hinton said:

M.Hussey
M.North
R.Ponting
S.Marsh
M.Clarke
A.Gilcrist
S.Watson
B.Lee
C.White
J.Gillispie
N.Braken

N.Hauritz (12 th man)
notice how Chris has opted to go for Cameron White - who hasn't shown anything of his so called huge potential - a leg spinner over Nathan hauritz who looks very talented and quite an exciting young player who is an off spinner
:rolleyes::rolleyes::yawn::yawn::lol:

Cloete

International Captain
Rik said:
Who's he?
he's that guy from sydney. i think he'll play golf instead of cricket tohugh:yawn:. he is a long way from the NSW side but was smashing some records in grade cricket(must ducks in a row, worst economy rate and also highest bowling average). also amazingly he is a friend of shooter:wow::wow::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Markus, gave up cricket for golf :| he got up to Emerging Blues before he did though, pretty descant effort :)

howardj

International Coach
Eng XI
Strauss
Trescothick
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Flintoff
Jones
Hoggard
Jones