Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SixthTest anyone?

SixthTest anyone?

I see that not contnet with stuffing us 5-0 Cricket Australia want the chance to beat us 6-0 when Australia bid to regain the Ashes in 2010-11(You know it will happen). So I just want to know - do you think its a good idea or are CA just greedy to make extra money (bet you if we agree to six Ashes Tests they don't cut the number of matches in the CB series either)
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

What about a 7th Test in Canberra? Seriously though, I think five is sufficient.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Well until fairly recently 6-Test series' between England and Australia were the norm... at least in Australia in the '70s and England in the '80s and '90s.

I can't say I'd be terribly disappointed to see it return, though clearly if it did it would be absolutely essential to first un-synchronise The Ashes and World Cups, which has been talked about but given that the next tour still seems to be scheduled for 2010\11 nothing seems to have been done yet...

And even if it remained a 5-Test rubber, I still think un-synchronising said things is absolutely essential for English cricket. And I've thought on all 3 occasions it's happened that a Champions Trophy prior to an Ashes is something we can do without. In fact, a Champions Trophy which is played every 4 years not every 2 is something we can do with, for the taking-gloss-off-both reasons.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    What about a 7th Test in Canberra?
    That'd do me. Chuck the ODI series.

^^^ Spot the Englishman.

PY
    I can see it happening if someone at CA points out that it means that another Test can be played in England at the ground that is due to miss out.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

^^^Uh?

PY
    Well the rotation/problem of a Test ground not having a Test match in the English summer wouldn't have to happen for that year if there was a reciprocal 6th Test in England?

Or they could use it to do what they've done with Cardiff and blood a new ground.

Someone should check to see if Tassie is still part of Australia first.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PY View Post
    I can see it happening if someone at CA points out that it means that another Test can be played in England at the ground that is due to miss out.
    With the current FTP it wouldn't work because it'd mean 8 Tests in a summer when 7 is pushing it...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    It makes a bit of sense considering that the normal Australian summer contains six tests, and given Australia doesn't usually host another team during Ashes years it means one venue has to miss out each time around. It's not really necessary for the contest in any way, but I think I'd prefer a six test Ashes series to five and an additional two test series against another nation, given how poor two test series usually are.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

School Boy/Girl Captain McKanga's Avatar
    At the moment in Australia a cricket chirping in the back yard attracts a minimum of 15 people. My God-awful state team (the Redbacks) attracted a crowd of almost 14,000 just recently for a Twenty/20 match against NSW in 40C heat.
    The ACB knows the wheel will turn and one day we will have 1/4 full stadiums again but not now, and not for the Ashes. One more Test, in Tasmania, and all our core cricket bodies will be satisfied and the ACB will need a money bin like that of Scrooge McDuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    I see that not content with stuffing us ...
    Us? Are ye no a Scot?

Quote Originally Posted by PY View Post
    Well the rotation/problem of a Test ground not having a Test match in the English summer wouldn't have to happen for that year if there was a reciprocal 6th Test in England?

Or they could use it to do what they've done with Cardiff and blood a new ground.
    Oh, right, you were talking about in England?

Thing is there, of course, that it's not reciprocal - it's been England's choice to have 5-Testers since 2001, not Australia's, since given that we now play 7 Tests per summer it'd mean that 6 against Australia would have to mean 1 against someone else - and one-off Tests are now outlawed. Rightly, too, IMO.

So it's gone 2 vs someone and 5 vs Australia. Before that, when it was 6 Tests per summer, it was just 6 vs Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by McKanga View Post
    Us? Are ye no a Scot?
    Are ye no aware that in cricketing terms Scotland is part of the team which is known as "England" but reprisents, in reality, "The British Isles"?

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    It makes a bit of sense considering that the normal Australian summer contains six tests, and given Australia doesn't usually host another team during Ashes years it means one venue has to miss out each time around. It's not really necessary for the contest in any way, but I think I'd prefer a six test Ashes series to five and an additional two test series against another nation, given how poor two test series usually are.
    It makes sense, yes, but it could not realistically happen without un-synchronising The Ashes and World Cups, and the latter would need to be done first.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information