Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SixthTest anyone?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    If you mean we're somewhat more welcoming to non-native born and/or raised English-qualified players then you do have a point with cricket
    And as a result we benefit from the talent of those willing to commit themselves to the England cause... so we benefit where others snub.

Which, to me, looks like a good thing, even if Dmitri Mascarenhas still lists Aussie Rules as his sport, or Tony Greig, Allan Lamb, Robin Smith and Basil D'Oliveira would have played for South Africa had they been able to.

EDIT: no, I'm not accusing you of being an old-style Little Englander, please don't get shirty about that'un again
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

School Boy/Girl Captain McKanga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    .....Mother Australia spreads her petticoat quite wide in the search for ocker Rugger talent; taking in Zambia (George Gregan), South Africa (Dan Vickerman & Clyde Rathbone), Tonga (Toutai Kefu), Fiji (Lote Tuqiri) & New Zealand (Jeremy Paul).
    Mother Australia???? We prefer the term Oz.
    What rugby or rugby league do is of little interest outside QLD/NSW. The rest of us follow Australian Rules football in the AFL or local leagues and as it isn't a game played outside Australia there is none of the angst of who can/can't be picked for a national team.

School Boy/Girl Captain McKanga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    .... even if Dmitri Mascarenhas still lists Aussie Rules as his sport..
    I'd never heard of him but Cricinfo put me right. Plays with Hampshire, isn't that Warney's team? He's a passionate Aussie Rules follower too, played U19s for St Kilda and if he'd made the senior team would never have gone on with cricket.

He played for Hants long before Warne did, debuted as a 18-year-old or something crazy like that.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    He played for Hants long before Warne did, debuted as a 18-year-old or something crazy like that.
    Not that crazy tbh. I have played against a 14 year old when I was playing for Yorkshire u-14 against Glamorgan youth, and he was playing for Glamorgan 2nd XI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Yeah, that's not the first I've heard of that, I've heard accounts of 14\15-yr-olds (Samit Patel, for example) playing the odd Second-XI game (Tim Bresnan even played in the National League at 16 ).

Still, that's crazy and so is playing first-team cricket at 18!

Curveball Champion!
    Of course. Ever heard of Sam Northeast? Scored 40 100s in his time at Harrow School, just ridiculous. The most I ever managed in one season was 3

Master Northeast has been on the radar for a little while now... even has a CricInfo profile, which is more than can be said for many bit-part Test players... and at the time of this post I'd still have to refuse to serve him alcohol if he came in my shop...

International Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Of course. Ever heard of Sam Northeast? Scored 40 100s in his time at Harrow School, just ridiculous. The most I ever managed in one season was 3
    Most of us make do with none you know

If I ever score a century in my entire life I'll be more astonished than it's possible to be.

Heck, if I score a half-century it'll be quite an achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by McKanga View Post
    I'd never heard of him but Cricinfo put me right. Plays with Hampshire, isn't that Warney's team? He's a passionate Aussie Rules follower too, played U19s for St Kilda and if he'd made the senior team would never have gone on with cricket.
    Is a gun in International Cricket Captain.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Curveball Champion!
    I can absolutley guarantee that if you lot played against some of the ****ty school sides that I do, then you would score runs.

I can guarantee you that you can lob the ball up and I'll still find a way of getting out - probably for single-figures.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by McKanga View Post
    Mother Australia???? We prefer the term Oz.
    What rugby or rugby league do is of little interest outside QLD/NSW. The rest of us follow Australian Rules football in the AFL or local leagues and as it isn't a game played outside Australia there is none of the angst of who can/can't be picked for a national team.
    So are you the scarecrow, the tinman, the cowardly lion or Dorothy?

&, TBF, the population of NSW & QLD is higher than the rest of Australia put together.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Curveball Champion!
    I can guarantee you that you can lob the ball up and I'll still find a way of getting out - probably for single-figures.
    Your that bad Dickinson?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information