• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes sub-forum - a success?

Ashes sub-forum

• Total voters

pasag

RTDAS
Yes imo. It didn't clutter CC with heaps of threads and gave people the opportunity to discuss what they want without the fear of annoying all the non Aussie and English fans.

Although I would have preferred the official matches to be in one thread and not 5. I don't think that aspect worked particularly well for various reasons.

Thoughts?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yes imo. It didn't clutter CC with heaps of threads and gave people the opportunity to discuss what they want without the fear of annoying all the non Aussie and English fans.

Although I would have preferred the official matches to be in one thread and not 5. I don't think that aspect worked particularly well for various reasons.

Thoughts?
Agree completely with you.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Thoughts?
Agree all-round tbh

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, yes spot on. Seperating the matches into threads was too much, particularly before the series started where people were talking about specific matches such as the Perth test and what not before the Gabba test had even taken place.

But the sub-forum in itself was good.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yep, hit the nail on the head, young Pasag, as is so often the case. Good work. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
^^ Just don't understand why you feel the need to remind us all that you're "Truly Big and Hairy" at the end of every post though...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'm fairly indifferent, but overall I think I preferred it last year. There was more activity in just one thread than this entire forum, and that was for a series with less hype and so on. I think less people got involved with the discussions than they would have otherwise.

I think subforums are a good idea for large scale tournaments like the CT and the World Cup, but for bilateral series I'd stick to the official thread.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Although there's not likely to be another such eagerly anticipated bilateral series for the forseeable future, so its not really likely James would bother setting up a separate forum again, you'd feel.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's actually a decent point. This series probably demanded a sub-forum because of the overwhelming hype, and whilst I may be incorrect and correct me if I'm wrong when 08 and 09 comes around, but the next Ashes should be less of a victim of the hype machine.

The 2005 Ashes thread was really cool though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes, yes it was, when I read through it I wanted to reply to lots of stuff but resisted the urge to dig. Turns out it's been dug now anyhow, I would imagine people will be quoting all sorts, such as yourself with that Scaly/Eddie exchange.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There were more posts last year tho. 15,948 vs 14,949.

Probably due to the excitement of last year's series.
I'd put it down to the fact that last year's series went down to the last test.
If you look at the post figures for the matches, 1500 for the first three, Aus have the ashes, something like 600 posts for the 4th and just over a 1000 for the 5th. Once the Ashes were back it was almost like a formality and there wasn't as much interest.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dead set disgrace for mine. Major contributing factor to us losing The Ashes. :@

Seriously, I think it's been a good idea for the same reasons as I reckon the Sports Forum has been one too: it makes it easier to find threads & stops those not so interested in The Ashes from whinging (a la Too Many Sawker Threads in OT) about it clogging up CC.

PY

International Coach
A lot of the 2005 Ashes posts were in the heat of the moment, with people making 5-10 posts each in like 10 minutes whereas I didn't see that happening this time around. Not as much excitement during the series as a whole.

Look at the English involvement in the 2005 one then look at them this time round and it's not nearly as high due to timezones (obviously) but also due to fact that there wasn't much to cheer about.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I dislike this forums continually breaking things up into smaller forums, the Ashes is cricket, so why is it not in cricket chat? Why can't the Indians and Pakistani's have a subforum when they play each other? Maybe I don't want to read about NZ cricket? I don't see the whole cluttering up of the board as much of an argument really, and it's just annoying to have an extra forum to check through..