• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Out of 10 - The Player Performances

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
But you can see why. I have to explain the format and names to people each year.
But, equally so, everyone still talks about how Geelong was "one kick away from a Grand Final", thinking it was a Prelim. And even to the few who say that thinking we would've beaten St. Kilda, that was doubly unlikely as we had worse injury problems than they did. Often overlooked is how depleted that Geelong side was, and it would've been one of our best wins in the post-Ablett era if we had've gotten up, which is why all the ridiculous criticism of the Cats after the game was so uncalled for (looking at you, Rex Hunt).

Doesn't mean that someone like Josh Hunt shouldn't be criticised for his brain fade and not being defensive side, ditto Steve Johnson who should've gotten the ball out of bounds.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was certainly true in 2005. However wrong forum to discuss AFL, much as I love it.
*gasp of exasperation*

It was a Semi Final. The winner played St. Kilda in a Preliminary. Then onto the Grand Final vs WCE.

Geelong lost the Semi to Sydney, and despite St. Kilda's injury woes, Geelong's at the time were worse, hence we would've probably lost that game anyways, thus not making the GF.

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
*gasp of exasperation*

It was a Semi Final. The winner played St. Kilda in a Preliminary. Then onto the Grand Final vs WCE.

Geelong lost the Semi to Sydney, and despite St. Kilda's injury woes, Geelong's at the time were worse, hence we would've probably lost that game anyways, thus not making the GF.
]*blush of shame*

1] Je regrette.
I had that game lodged in my mind as a PF :shutup:

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah, it sucks Geelong didn't make it to the PF or GF. Would've liked to see their hopes and the hopes of their fans crushed, inches away from the finishing line...again.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, it sucks Geelong didn't make it to the PF or GF. Would've liked to see their hopes and the hopes of their fans crushed, inches away from the finishing line...again.
I don't see how it could've been worse than that Semi, TBH.

PS. Die.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, it's hilarious the amount of people who refer to that game as a Preliminary Final
I just forgot tbh. I daresay I realised it was a semi at the time. St. Kilda beat Adelaide in the qualifying final anyway, so obviously Sydney had to beat them in the prelim and not the semi.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So you can expect said desire to coincide exactly with said breaks every single time in a 5-match Test-series?

No.

You goon. 8-)
If you're not drinking alcohol it's pretty easy to spread your toilet breaks to 2 hours, 1 even (with drink breaks). 40 minutes is more than enough time to order a pizza and go to the door to have it delivered. With the invention of the cordless phone you can even order your pizza while watching the cricket to ensure that the pizza is delivered right during the lunch break. Even if you're not ordering pizza 40 minutes is more than enough time to make a sandwich or pop down to the little shopping centre around the corner to grab a Chicken and Mushroom Pie or fish and chips. It is not impossible to watch every ball of a series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I never once said it was impossible - I said it'd take a concentrated effort, and one hell of a strong mind during the more boring passages of play. And, of course, the compliance of the TV companies - more than once I've seen the odd delivery missed here and there because the producer has ****ed-up the ad-slot.

Mister Wright

I never once said it was impossible - I said it'd take a concentrated effort, and one hell of a strong mind during the more boring passages of play. And, of course, the compliance of the TV companies - more than once I've seen the odd delivery missed here and there because the producer has ****ed-up the ad-slot.
Haha. Now you're going to blame not watching on the producer. One of your best Richard, surely.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What, have you never seen a case where the coverage has cut to the immidiate aftermath of a delivery because an ad has been misjudged?

If not, can only assume Nine's (and maybe Fox's) producers are one hell of a lot better than C4's and Sky's.

PS: doesn't your sig need a tweak? Ie copyright Kyle Wright 2007, not 2006?

Mister Wright

What, have you never seen a case where the coverage has cut to the immidiate aftermath of a delivery because an ad has been misjudged?

If not, can only assume Nine's (and maybe Fox's) producers are one hell of a lot better than C4's and Sky's.

PS: doesn't your sig need a tweak? Ie copyright Kyle Wright 2007, not 2006?
I've seen it happen. but, it's not like it happens every ad break.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I never said it did - just that it only requries it to happen once in a series, and that's it - the chance to watch every ball of a series is gone.