• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Out of 10 - The Player Performances

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well your mind's made up, clearly. However, fruitless as debate with you obviously is, the logician in me feels compelled to point out that even if you divide Symonds 156 by 3 (allowing for his two "outs") he still avearges more than Strauss does during his "damn superb" innings of 50.
Does the quality of the bowling mean nothing to you?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard, will you ever just accept that luck and bad luck is something that happens in equal amounts
No, I won't, because that's complete and absolute bull****, and anyone who looks at the matter seriously rather than clutching at straws will realise that.
Strauss was rubbish, he got 3 bad decisions, but even in those innings he looked like Australia's bunny, like he was to a certain extent last year, in two series against the best team in the world he has averaged 30, he's not unlucky, he's just not good enough.
He was unlucky and to suggest otherwise is stupid. It doesn't get much worse than 3 bad decisions in a row.

He could have been better, that's why I didn't give him 8 or 9 out of 10, but he was nowhere near as bad as a 4 or so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, Richard's ratings are hilarious. 6 for Strauss? 3 and 4 for Symonds and Hayden, and 6 for Langer, who was clearly the worst Australian player in the series?
Did Hayden or Symonds score (chancelessly) 182 for once out?

No, at no stage did they.

Therefore both were far worse than Langer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone who claims they did is a liar.

I'd be willing to bet that no-one in history has watched every single ball of a 5- or 6-match Test series (and quite conceivably of a 2-, 3- or 4- too), including players and the most attentive of match-reporters.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I'd be willing to bet that no-one in history has watched every single ball of a 5- or 6-match Test series (and quite conceivably of a 2-, 3- or 4- too), including players and the most attentive of match-reporters.
In the summer of 1995-96 I watched every ball of that series. I had just finished grade 10 and didn't have a job, therefore I had no money to do anything. I was up every morning and watched every ball of the series - I had nothing else to do.

Barney Rubble

International Coach

Scorers, perhaps? :blink:

I've watched every single ball of an entire day before, and if I'd had the time and could be bothered, I'm sure I could watch every single ball of a Test match or a Test series. What made you think it was so impossible? 2-hour sessions aren't that long.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'm fairly sure I watched every delivery of the 2005 Ashes. Missed a session or two of the Perth test this time around, and bits of Melbourne too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In the summer of 1995-96 I watched every ball of that series. I had just finished grade 10 and didn't have a job, therefore I had no money to do anything. I was up every morning and watched every ball of the series - I had nothing else to do.
And you never glanced away from the TV and missed the odd ball, or went to make a drink during a drinks-break and missed the first couple of deliveries of the next over?

Sorry, but I really do find that impossible to believe.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scorers, perhaps? :blink:
I find it impossible to believe that a scorer has never looked away for half a second, missed the actual happenings of the delivery but been able to take it down accurately because they knew who the striker was and how many runs were run.

Or else missed the odd few deliveries and relied on their fellow scorer.
I've watched every single ball of an entire day before, and if I'd had the time and could be bothered, I'm sure I could watch every single ball of a Test match or a Test series. What made you think it was so impossible? 2-hour sessions aren't that long.
A single Test is another thing - I've probably done that once or twice. Still wouldn't think there'd be an enormous number who've done such a thing, mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm fairly sure I watched every delivery of the 2005 Ashes. Missed a session or two of the Perth test this time around, and bits of Melbourne too.
And for someone who was watching through the night, that's even more inconceivable.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Haha Richard no. You can't possibly think you know more about what other people do than the people themselves.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Here we go again.

Tell me something... do you know that there is such a thing as insanity?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
And you never glanced away from the TV and missed the odd ball, or went to make a drink during a drinks-break and missed the first couple of deliveries of the next over?

And people who record the game and can pause it at will? Or people who simply do such things when they aren't going to miss any of the game? I suppose they don't exist?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

No. I even sat and watched the cricket show in the lunch break. That was when I went to get my lunch or whatever. If you're organised it is an easy thing to do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And people who record the game and can pause it at will? Or people who simply do such things when they aren't going to miss any of the game? I suppose they don't exist?
So someone does something that means they never have to leave their seat 25 days out of 25?

Pull the other one.

Everyone needs a drink \ stretch of neck\legs \ change of scene at least a few times in that.

And people are going to record 25 days' worth of cricket and re-watch the whole lot, are they?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No. I even sat and watched the cricket show in the lunch break. That was when I went to get my lunch or whatever. If you're organised it is an easy thing to do.
Well, if that is what you feel, all well and good - but as I say, I find it impossible to believe you because my own experience makes it appear impossible.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Well, if that is what you feel, all well and good - but as I say, I find it impossible to believe you because my own experience makes it appear impossible.
I find it impossible to believe that anyone can run 100m in 10 seconds because my own experience makes it appear impossible.