Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ashes 2009 - Predict Today, Laugh Tommorow!

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    I'd say that's being generous to Collingwood...
    He averaged over 48 in the series, I don't see how that's being generous.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    He averaged over 48 in the series, I don't see how that's being generous.
    Scored a double ton on an absolute road and fair play to him for that, but never once got past 30 thereafter. He was our second most effective batsman, but there was a big drop off after KP.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    I'd question if he were actually the worst number 6 in the Ashes...
    Err, what? Flintoff scored two fifties in the Ashes. The Australian number 6 across the five tests scored two centuries, one for each of the batsmen who batted there, and Clarke and Symonds together scored 433 runs @ 72.17 batting at 6. Symonds 232 @ 58 and Clarke 201 @ 100.50. It wasn't even close, even given that Australia's bowlers were generally better.

In general I'd say Flintoff is probably a better test batsman than Symonds, but Symonds is really a stop-gap player, selected on his fielding and bowling as much as his batting, and because of injuries and Martyn's retirement. Granted, if he was a long term selection at 6 and didn't improve dramatically he'd probably be worse than Flintoff, but I think Australia could get away with it given the strength of the batsmen below him. Clarke is quite obviously a much better test batsman than Flintoff, so I assume you're talking only about Symonds.

Flintoff simply hasn't been good enough to be a test number 6. An average of 32 from more than 60 tests is horrible for a top order batsman, especially when he's the last recognised batsman in the order. He'd be a pretty good number 7, but it's obvious IMO that the current setup leaves England very weak from 6 and below, and that was a major weakness in the recent series.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    TBF it was a Pakistan without Ahktar & (until the 4th test) Asif and Kaneria was having an ordinary series. With Asif we were getting our arses handed to us until you-know-what happened.
    Good point. I remember a Pakistani forum member labelling it one of the worst bowling line-ups Pakistan ever put out, so I think runs against them is hardly a massive achievement.
    Last edited by Jono; 07-01-2007 at 07:24 AM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    TBF it was a Pakistan without Ahktar & (until the 4th test) Asif and Kaneria was having an ordinary series. With Asif we were getting our arses handed to us until you-know-what happened.
    Yeah, I actually forgot that Asif only played one test in that series. I thought it was Asif and Gul throughout.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Err, what? Flintoff scored two fifties in the Ashes. The Australian number 6 across the five tests scored two centuries, one for each of the batsmen who batted there, and Clarke and Symonds together scored 433 runs @ 72.17 batting at 6. Symonds 232 @ 58 and Clarke 201 @ 100.50. It wasn't even close, even given that Australia's bowlers were generally better.

In general I'd say Flintoff is probably a better test batsman than Symonds, but Symonds is really a stop-gap player, selected on his fielding and bowling as much as his batting, and because of injuries and Martyn's retirement. Granted, if he was a long term selection at 6 and didn't improve dramatically he'd probably be worse than Flintoff, but I think Australia could get away with it given the strength of the batsmen below him. Clarke is quite obviously a much better test batsman than Flintoff, so I assume you're talking only about Symonds.

Flintoff simply hasn't been good enough to be a test number 6. An average of 32 from more than 60 tests is horrible for a top order batsman, especially when he's the last recognised batsman in the order. He'd be a pretty good number 7, but it's obvious IMO that the current setup leaves England very weak from 6 and below, and that was a major weakness in the recent series.
    I think in The Ashes itself you're absolutely right, however in fairness to Marc I think he meant Flintoff wasn't the worst batsman to play at number six in The Ashes generally speaking. You said

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Flintoff's probably the worst number 6 in test cricket outside of Bangladesh, or at least close
    & I'd guess most people would take Flintoff as a test batsman over Symonds most of the time.

As I said tho, there's no doubt that Australia's number 6 was more effective than than ours in the series just past.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    And there is no reason to suggest some Australia's replacement players will be great successes.

Why not? I've grown accustomed to expecting gun replacements from Australia.. I think Jacques has played an ODI already, and looked better than any England ODI batsman for a long time.. Brad Hodge his 200 against South Africa and was deemed to be not good enough.. We seem to be taking Hussey for granted, he hasn't been playing for a long time at all, Clarke has had his blips, but looks to be a class act, and Stuart Clark looks like he's been bowling against the very best for ten years.. Australia produce the best newcomers, and thats why they are the best team, I have little reason to doubt they will continue producing the best
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information