Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ashes 2009 - Predict Today, Laugh Tommorow!

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post

Yet you still retain the services of Steve Harmison.
    Harmison can produce match-winning bowling, if Panesar takes a few wickets in a game it either means England are getting hammered or it means they'll soon get hammered by a part-time finger spinner or a genuine world class wrist spinner/'different' finger spinner (ie Kumble or Murali).
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Pinball Champion!
    ENG
    1. Strauss
    2. Cook
    3. Joyce
    4. Pietersen
    5. Bell
    6. Flintoff
    7. Read
    8. Broad
    9. Panesar
    10. Mahmood
    11. Hoggard

AUS
    1. Jacques
    2. Hayden
    3. Ponting
    4. Clarke
    5. Hussey
    6. Voges
    7. Henriques
    8. Haddin
    9. White
    10. Lee
    11. Clark

Prediction 5-0 Australia I've predicted it every Ashes series since 2003, and have a 50% success rate
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Just realised I forgot to predict the score. Will go 2-1 Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PY View Post
    Big things predicted for Joyce, I've not seen it yet to be honest but I live in hope.
    I saw him live for the first time last summer and he looked to have that little something.

Mind you the Warwickshire attack weren't up to much, but he outshone anyone else who played that day by a long way.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Didn't think you'd taken leave of your senses that much!

Funny though that you think the team won't change one bit - yet you're not predicting a heavy Aus win?
    It'll change a little bit, but realistically I think Flintoff, Hoggard and Panesar are all good bowlers and will all be around in 2009 if they are fit. Jones is in the same boat, if he's fit, but he rarely is. It's hard to predict whether or not guys like Broad will be ready in 2009, but I'd guess not, while the selectors love Harmison and he'll have to bowl atrociously for an extended period for them to drop him. There's nothing much wrong with the batting - it's the second best batting lineup in the world IMO and easily the best England have had in some time, so I don't expect it to change much in two years, aside from Vaughan and Trescothick being gone for good. History suggests that successful teams with reasonably young players don't change much over a couple of years, and it'd be a surprise if England aren't reasonably successful in the next two years.

Anyway, Australia will be a different team. No Warne and McGrath, probably no Hayden and Gilchrist, and the bowling attack will be relying on a few guys who really aren't proven yet at test level and probably won't have a world class spinner, unless MacGill is still going at nearly 40. Obviously there's a chance that the players coming in for Australia could prove to be tremendously successful, but they also might not, particularly the fourth seamer or spin bowler, and I imagine England will be a better team in a couple of years than they are now, plus on home soil. 30 months out, I think 2-2 is a fair bet. I'd also bet that Australia will still be the best test team in the world in 2009, but it won't be by a big margin.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 06-01-2007 at 11:35 PM.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    England

Thompson
    Clinton
    Newman
    Hamilton-Brown- Captain
    Benning
    Clarke
    Walters- Australian but will have qualified in time, talent.
    Batty- wk
    Saker
    Dernbach
    Ormond
    Doug Walters?
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    ENG
    1. Strauss
    2. Cook
    3. Joyce
    4. Pietersen
    5. Bell
    6. Flintoff
    7. Read
    8. Broad
    9. Panesar
    10. Mahmood
    11. Hoggard

AUS
    1. Jacques
    2. Hayden
    3. Ponting
    4. Clarke
    5. Hussey
    6. Voges
    7. Henriques
    8. Haddin
    9. White
    10. Lee
    11. Clark

Prediction 5-0 Australia I've predicted it every Ashes series since 2003, and have a 50% success rate
    Moises Henriques is one hell of a call. I guess if anything he would be picked for the ODI team before he would get a gig in the Test team, assuming he has the form, fitness etc.

James Anderson can be quite a good bowler by 2009, providing he has plenty of overs to bowl in County Cricket and if on tour, plenty of overs in warm-up games, and there for he can learn to be more consistent with the ball because he can get some good outswing and if he bowls it on a good length outside off stump, it will trouble any batsman. England don't actually have a bad squad as such, there are a lot worse out there, so if they plan right, select right, make the right changes at the top, some luck I don't see why they can't have a chance. And there is no reason to suggest some Australia's replacement players will be great successes.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Harmison can produce match-winning bowling, if Panesar takes a few wickets in a game it either means England are getting hammered or it means they'll soon get hammered by a part-time finger spinner or a genuine world class wrist spinner/'different' finger spinner (ie Kumble or Murali).

Like in the 2nd & 3rd tests against pakistan last summer?
    And as for Harmy being a match winner, please ......

1. Rogers
    2. Jacques
    3. Ponting
    4. Hussey
    5. Clarke
    6. Symonds
    7. Haddin (Chris Hartley will be close on his heels though)
    8. Lee
    9. Clark
    10. Cullen
    11. Hilfenhaus

Australia
    Jacques
    Paine
    Ponting
    Hussey
    Clarke
    Watson
    Haddin
    Bailey
    Hilfenhaus
    Clark
    Tait

England
    Strauss
    Cook
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Joyce
    Flintoff
    Foster
    Panesar
    Jones
    Hoggard

Top Run Scorers
    Ponting
    Pietersen

Top Wicket Takers
    Hilfenhaus
    Hoggard

Result
    England 2-1
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    It'll change a little bit, but realistically I think Flintoff, Hoggard and Panesar are all good bowlers and will all be around in 2009 if they are fit. Jones is in the same boat, if he's fit, but he rarely is. It's hard to predict whether or not guys like Broad will be ready in 2009, but I'd guess not, while the selectors love Harmison and he'll have to bowl atrociously for an extended period for them to drop him. There's nothing much wrong with the batting - it's the second best batting lineup in the world IMO and easily the best England have had in some time, so I don't expect it to change much in two years, aside from Vaughan and Trescothick being gone for good. History suggests that successful teams with reasonably young players don't change much over a couple of years, and it'd be a surprise if England aren't reasonably successful in the next two years.
    England's batting lineup is pathetic. They were bowled out for 157, 129, 215, 159, 161 and 147 in the Ashes. That's half of their innings scores that are completely inadequate and the 215 wasn't too clever either. Only KP and Collingwood bothered to turn up with the bat. At least in 2005 the batting fired every now and then but it was still on the weak side then.

I'd say that's being generous to Collingwood...

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    England's batting lineup is pathetic. They were bowled out for 157, 129, 215, 159, 161 and 147 in the Ashes. That's half of their innings scores that are completely inadequate and the 215 wasn't too clever either. Only KP and Collingwood bothered to turn up with the bat. At least in 2005 the batting fired every now and then but it was still on the weak side then.
    Obviously they struggled in the Ashes, but most teams would struggle against that attack in the form it was in. England's batting dominated against Pakistan, who certainly don't have the weakest attack in world cricket, and really against all other opposition in recent times. Pietersen is obviously a class batsman, Strauss has been pretty consistent outside of the Ashes and would make most sides in the world, and Cook and Bell are pretty good prospects, particularly Cook. Bell I don't rate all that highly, but he's done reasonably well against teams other than Australia. Collingwood has generally been pretty good too, though he's not done much on any lively wickets yet. I haven't seen Joyce bat much yet, so I can't comment on him, but he does seem to be rated quite highly by a number of people.

The main problem with England's batting is from 6 and down they are horrible. Flintoff's probably the worst number 6 in test cricket outside of Bangladesh, or at least close, and the various keeping options are in a similar boat with the bat. And England's tail is as bad as the West Indies. The top 5 is probably the best in the business bar Australia though. India and Pakistan are reasonably close, but certainly neither of them are clearly better than England, and Sri Lanka, South Africa, the West Indies and New Zealand are all less consistent and have more weak spots. Anyway, I don't see any particular reason England's batting lineup would change any time soon. Someone might end up being dropped to get Vaughan back in, probably Collingwood or one of the bowlers, but that's it.

The main problem with England's batting is from 6 and down they are horrible. Flintoff's probably the worst number 6 in test cricket outside of Bangladesh
    I'd question if he were actually the worst number 6 in the Ashes...

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Obviously they struggled in the Ashes, but most teams would struggle against that attack in the form it was in. England's batting dominated against Pakistan, who certainly don't have the weakest attack in world cricket, and really against all other opposition in recent times. Pietersen is obviously a class batsman, Strauss has been pretty consistent outside of the Ashes and would make most sides in the world, and Cook and Bell are pretty good prospects, particularly Cook. Bell I don't rate all that highly, but he's done reasonably well against teams other than Australia. Collingwood has generally been pretty good too, though he's not done much on any lively wickets yet. I haven't seen Joyce bat much yet, so I can't comment on him, but he does seem to be rated quite highly by a number of people.

The main problem with England's batting is from 6 and down they are horrible. Flintoff's probably the worst number 6 in test cricket outside of Bangladesh, or at least close, and the various keeping options are in a similar boat with the bat. And England's tail is as bad as the West Indies. The top 5 is probably the best in the business bar Australia though. India and Pakistan are reasonably close, but certainly neither of them are clearly better than England, and Sri Lanka, South Africa, the West Indies and New Zealand are all less consistent and have more weak spots. Anyway, I don't see any particular reason England's batting lineup would change any time soon. Someone might end up being dropped to get Vaughan back in, probably Collingwood or one of the bowlers, but that's it.
    TBF it was a Pakistan without Ahktar & (until the 4th test) Asif and Kaneria was having an ordinary series. With Asif we were getting our arses handed to us until you-know-what happened.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information