• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes 2009 - Predict Today, Laugh Tommorow!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Strauss (c)
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
+Davies
Rashid
Broad
Harmison
Hoggard

Assuming Vaughan and Simon Jones are the ones that aren't fit as per usual. If Vaughan is fit knowing the poncy southern bias from England's selectors that's been going on for over century they'll probably drop Collingwood. Simon Jones if fit would come in for Broad or Harmison. England might want Panesar in for one of those two also, just to give Australia a chance.

Some of the predictions of Panesar being leading wicket taker of the series were technically made yesterday, so I'll laugh now, for quite a while actually.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He'll (Hoggard) only be 32 (I think) and he's been largely injury-free (side strain notwithstanding) compared to our other seamers. S Jones is possibly more of a hope than an expectation tho, yes.

Then I'd slightly overestimated Hogg's age, which might change things. That being said, much as I admire him, I do think we want someone even better if we really want to challenge as a potential number 1 side. Obviously if Anderson doesn't develop & stay fit, then Hoggard stays. Ideally, Jones would stay fit & partner one of the tall brigade with the new ball, as I think he offers rather more, but I just don't see that happening. What I really hope is that Plunkett, Mahmood, Tremlett & any other young quicks that I've forgotten will really strive to raise their games over the next couple of years. Then things would be interesting :)

Scaly piscine

Forgot about Plunkett (as seems to have Fletcher to some extent) him or Broad for that no.9 spot then.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Forgot about Plunkett (as seems to have Fletcher to some extent) him or Broad for that no.9 spot then.
Plunkett must have loved the message that Fletcher didn't seem to reckon he could do any better than the rubbish served up by Harmison, Mahmood & Anderson. Makes you wonder why he went, really.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Strauss
Cook
Bell
Collingwood
Pietersen
Joyce
Davies +
Broad
Panesar
Hoggard
Tremlett

Rogers
Jaques
Ponting*
Hussey
Clarke
Voges
Haddin+
Clark
Johnson
Bailey
Hilfenhaus

Watson and Flintoff missing through injury, Lee and Harmison detoriated badly and were dropped.

Top Run Scorers

Eng: Joyce
Aus: Jaques

Top Wicket Takers

Eng: Broad
Aus: Johnson

Result

3-1 Aus

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Big things predicted for Joyce, I've not seen it yet to be honest but I live in hope. I think Freddie will be utterly knackered by then, he'll be doing well to still be walking the rate he's going.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Strauss (c)
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
+Davies
Rashid
Broad
Harmison
Hoggard

Assuming Vaughan and Simon Jones are the ones that aren't fit as per usual. If Vaughan is fit knowing the poncy southern bias from England's selectors that's been going on for over century they'll probably drop Collingwood. Simon Jones if fit would come in for Broad or Harmison. England might want Panesar in for one of those two also, just to give Australia a chance.
Some of the predictions of Panesar being leading wicket taker of the series were technically made yesterday, so I'll laugh now, for quite a while actually.
8-)

Yet you still retain the services of Steve Harmison.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Australia

Rogers
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
+Haddin
Lee
Clark
Johnson
Macgill

Series
MOTS: Pietersen

Runs:
Eng: Pietersen
Aus: Hussey

Wickets:
Eng: Jones (i hope he will be around)
Aus: Macgill

Result
Australia - 3-1

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
England

Thompson
Clinton
Newman
Hamilton-Brown- Captain
Benning
Clarke
Walters- Australian but will have qualified in time, talent.
Batty- wk
Saker
Dernbach
Ormond

Scaly piscine

8-)

Yet you still retain the services of Steve Harmison.
Harmison can produce match-winning bowling, if Panesar takes a few wickets in a game it either means England are getting hammered or it means they'll soon get hammered by a part-time finger spinner or a genuine world class wrist spinner/'different' finger spinner (ie Kumble or Murali).

Langeveldt

Soutie
ENG
1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Joyce
4. Pietersen
5. Bell
6. Flintoff
7. Read
8. Broad
9. Panesar
10. Mahmood
11. Hoggard

AUS
1. Jacques
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. Voges
7. Henriques
8. Haddin
9. White
10. Lee
11. Clark

Prediction 5-0 Australia I've predicted it every Ashes series since 2003, and have a 50% success rate

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Big things predicted for Joyce, I've not seen it yet to be honest but I live in hope.
I saw him live for the first time last summer and he looked to have that little something.

Mind you the Warwickshire attack weren't up to much, but he outshone anyone else who played that day by a long way.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't think you'd taken leave of your senses that much!

Funny though that you think the team won't change one bit - yet you're not predicting a heavy Aus win?
It'll change a little bit, but realistically I think Flintoff, Hoggard and Panesar are all good bowlers and will all be around in 2009 if they are fit. Jones is in the same boat, if he's fit, but he rarely is. It's hard to predict whether or not guys like Broad will be ready in 2009, but I'd guess not, while the selectors love Harmison and he'll have to bowl atrociously for an extended period for them to drop him. There's nothing much wrong with the batting - it's the second best batting lineup in the world IMO and easily the best England have had in some time, so I don't expect it to change much in two years, aside from Vaughan and Trescothick being gone for good. History suggests that successful teams with reasonably young players don't change much over a couple of years, and it'd be a surprise if England aren't reasonably successful in the next two years.

Anyway, Australia will be a different team. No Warne and McGrath, probably no Hayden and Gilchrist, and the bowling attack will be relying on a few guys who really aren't proven yet at test level and probably won't have a world class spinner, unless MacGill is still going at nearly 40. Obviously there's a chance that the players coming in for Australia could prove to be tremendously successful, but they also might not, particularly the fourth seamer or spin bowler, and I imagine England will be a better team in a couple of years than they are now, plus on home soil. 30 months out, I think 2-2 is a fair bet. I'd also bet that Australia will still be the best test team in the world in 2009, but it won't be by a big margin.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
ENG
1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Joyce
4. Pietersen
5. Bell
6. Flintoff
7. Read
8. Broad
9. Panesar
10. Mahmood
11. Hoggard

AUS
1. Jacques
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. Voges
7. Henriques
8. Haddin
9. White
10. Lee
11. Clark

Prediction 5-0 Australia I've predicted it every Ashes series since 2003, and have a 50% success rate
Moises Henriques is one hell of a call. I guess if anything he would be picked for the ODI team before he would get a gig in the Test team, assuming he has the form, fitness etc.

James Anderson can be quite a good bowler by 2009, providing he has plenty of overs to bowl in County Cricket and if on tour, plenty of overs in warm-up games, and there for he can learn to be more consistent with the ball because he can get some good outswing and if he bowls it on a good length outside off stump, it will trouble any batsman. England don't actually have a bad squad as such, there are a lot worse out there, so if they plan right, select right, make the right changes at the top, some luck I don't see why they can't have a chance. And there is no reason to suggest some Australia's replacement players will be great successes.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Harmison can produce match-winning bowling, if Panesar takes a few wickets in a game it either means England are getting hammered or it means they'll soon get hammered by a part-time finger spinner or a genuine world class wrist spinner/'different' finger spinner (ie Kumble or Murali).

Like in the 2nd & 3rd tests against pakistan last summer?
And as for Harmy being a match winner, please ......:blink:

ethos

Cricket Spectator
1. Rogers
2. Jacques
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. Symonds
7. Haddin (Chris Hartley will be close on his heels though)
8. Lee
9. Clark
10. Cullen
11. Hilfenhaus

howardj

International Coach
Australia
Jacques
Paine
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke