Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After the Whitewash (or How to Lose the Ashes)

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar

After the Whitewash (or How to Lose the Ashes)

These are the fruits of a train journey between Cleethorpes and approximately Rotherham.

Feedback appreciated.
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 05-01-2007 at 10:59 AM.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Great article.

I'd rather have four bowlers, including the all rounder and six top order batsman. If one of the six can send down a few overs, thats good enough. If not, thats still good enough. The depth of English batting would be exceptional if they batted with Flintoff coming in at seven and a keeper at eight. Flintoff would make them the deepest batting lineup in the world. Just look at how much it has helped SA out this series with such vital knocks by Pollock.

Four bowlers, assuming all are fit and have match perparation, ought to be enough. But with Flintoff not at full speed and injury concerns with some of the others...I realize it may not be possible.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 05-01-2007 at 11:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

If Jones gets fully fit and FLintoff is better with his ankle, how about Flintoff-Jones-Panesar-Hoggard? Or you can even go with four quicks at Flintoff-Jones-Hoggard-Harmison.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Top drawer, Pickup. Not enough praise of Mahmood though.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

I love #5...

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Top stuff as always. You'd be a huge loss to the fourth estate if you end up a humble pedagogue.

WRT to the four/five bowlers debate I'm still firmly in the five bowlers camp if we have five bowlers worthy of the name. Yes, it'd be nice to have a batter who sent down a few overs or a bowler who could bat, but where are these players in our county scene? We're in serious danger of falling into the "bits-and-pieces" trap again.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Kevin Pietersen is a bowling allrounder.

Good piece, showing admirable restraint. Nothing unfair or exaggerated that I could spot.

The only thing I'd add is the complacency that's been present for most of the last 15 months, evident the charge of the ****e brigade at Multan, the "lets not bother with a decent night sleep before playing pakistan so we can wallow in the ashes with the Beeb" episode, the staggering slopiness in all 3 tests against SL, Fred's view that he can publicly refer to our elected PM as a "knob", pretty much every utterance from Steve Harmison this year and, as you mentioned, the idea that we could take on the best in the world after about a week & a half in their neck of the woods. They had this coming big time, and you can only hope that lessons will be learnt, acted on, and not repeated in our lifetimes. Cue pigs flying ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Kevin Pietersen is a bowling allrounder.
    Maybe in Natal, buddy, but this is England.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Maybe in Natal, buddy, but this is England.
    Exactly. The land where Rikki Clarke is a batting allrounder. What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Top stuff as always. You'd be a huge loss to the fourth estate if you end up a humble pedagogue.

WRT to the four/five bowlers debate I'm still firmly in the five bowlers camp if we have five bowlers worthy of the name. Yes, it'd be nice to have a batter who sent down a few overs or a bowler who could bat, but where are these players in our county scene? We're in serious danger of falling into the "bits-and-pieces" trap again.
    But then you have a huge tail. Giles wasn't doing any good but you still need to be able to bat down to #8 with #8 at least able to rotate the strike and stay around for a while. Flintoff gives England the shot to field the deepest batting lineup, even more than the one SA has. And SA has been killing us with that deep lineup this series...its vital IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    But then you have a huge tail. Giles wasn't doing any good but you still need to be able to bat down to #8 with #8 at least able to rotate the strike and stay around for a while. Flintoff gives England the shot to field the deepest batting lineup, even more than the one SA has. And SA has been killing us with that deep lineup this series...its vital IMO.
    Five bowlers is my ideal, it isn't always appropriate for every test. It isn't desirable to have such a long tail as we do currently, obviously. Which comes back to my point about bowlers being "worthy of the name". Saj may've batted like a drain, but if he'd taken a five-for the game would've looked very different. I actually would've played Dalrymple (almost the dictionary definition of bits-and-pieces) for the fifth test, simply because it's very obvious Flintoff doesn't rate Saj at all and Jamie was more likely to score some runs than Saj or Read.

Fred is the key for balance, obviously. Before he came along we could fudge the issue with Alec Stewart doning the gloves, but now with Fred very much a bowling all-rounder & neither of our keepers looking remotely close to being up to it with the bat, our batting depth is too shallow. Food for thought: we were 234-4 at the end of day one & ended up 291 all out; Oz were 188-4 after day two & finished up 102 runs ahead.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Top stuff Pickup, agree with every point you made
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Fantastic article!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Excellent work Neil - well done

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information