• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would the other teams have done?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
West Indies, India, Sri Lanka, New Zealand and South Africa would undoubtedly have been thrashed IMO. Pakistan may have competed a bit better, but would still have gone down 5-0.
Reckon Pakistan(or too many others) wouldn't have lost the 550 odd declared first up test tbh. :unsure:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
5-0 against any team. England are the second best side but weren't allowed to play as well as they can. The pressure Australia applied with their bowling was unbelievable and always someone came through with the bat. Everyone contributed at some stage. I can't remember such a complete team performance.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon Pakistan(or too many others) wouldn't have lost the 550 odd declared first up test tbh. :unsure:
West Indies would have.
India likely would have choked.
South Africa would have pulled an India.
New Zealand probably would have saved the match.
Sri Lanka may have gone down.
Pakistan would have attained a draw on Mohammad Yousuf's bat.

So maybe you have a point.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
They might not have made 550 declared batting first, though. Pakistan could have, but I don't think any of the others would have.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They might not have made 550 declared batting first, though. Pakistan could have, but I don't think any of the others would have.
India on their day could have. Lara on his day could have taken to the West Indies close.
Sri Lanka and South Africa probably not.
New Zealand definitely not.

Craig

World Traveller
New Zealand don't play Test cricket anymore (well it is more rare then a Geriant Jones 50 these days) and their middle order is more MIA then Marcus Trescothick. Plus they haven't played a five Test series in 35 years (Tony Cozier said the last time they played a five Test series was in the West Indies in 1971).

Craig

World Traveller
Didn't New Zealand post up a similar score in 01-02 at the WACA? So it is not without precedent...

pasag

RTDAS
Yep it's pretty obvious that if we beat the second best team 5-0, we would have beaten any other team further down the list 5-0 as well. Although in this series the intesity for dead rubbers has been equal to that of the live games I reckon, so as others have said may not have existed for other teams (in the dead rubbers). Although with this list I doubt we'd have lost anything and definitly not to NZ.

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
No-one can know.
On paper Australia weren't a 5-0 better side than England and that's the only way to judge the other teams - on paper.
Having said that I'd have tipped South Africa, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka to win or at least draw at 550 declared in the 1st innings.

tooextracool

International Coach
What evidence is there to suggest that New Zealand or South Africa would have beaten Australia in a Test match?
A bowling attack of Ntini, Nel, Steyn, Pollock, Kallis and Harris?
Thats arguably one of the best pace attacks going around, certainly assuming all of them are fully fit. Even with half of that attack they caused enough problems in that series down under. The only problem is their batting which consists of Kallis, Prince and very little else.

tooextracool

International Coach
If Australia played a similar level of cricket, they would have beaten any team in the world 5-0, and in fact would probably have hammered a number of them even worse. South Africa toured last year and Australia didn't play half as well and still won 5 of the 6 tests, so I don't see why they'd have managed to win one..
Maybe they didnt play half as well because they arent very good? Theres no point talking about the quality of Australian batting in the Ashes, because the fact is even a chimpanzee would have made batting look easy when batting against Hoggard, Harmison, Giles, an injured Flintoff and Anderson for most of this series.
Point emphasized when symonds scored runs.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
A bowling attack of Ntini, Nel, Steyn, Pollock, Kallis and Harris?
Thats arguably one of the best pace attacks going around, certainly assuming all of them are fully fit. Even with half of that attack they caused enough problems in that series down under. The only problem is their batting which consists of Kallis, Prince and very little else.
To be fair, 4 of that 6 played in the home and away series' 12 months ago and didn't do a lot better.