• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man of the Series?

Who?

• Sarfraz - 26 wickets at 17.03

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • Ponting - 576 runs at 82.28

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Warne - 23 wickets at 29.95 and 196 runs at 49

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Hussey - not sure on stats sorry, help

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

Laurrz

International Debutant
i'd pick Sarfraz

as they say, Batsmen save u matches...bowlers win u em :P

Warney is an interesting one... averaging 49 with the bat :wacko: it would be fitting i spose

howardj

International Coach
Clark.

The pitches have been largely benign, and therefore he falls in ahead of Ponting who has been imperious (especially when the Series was still alive) and totally driven.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Do the coaches of each team still pick 1 man from each side to have 2 men of the series? or will it be just 1 man picked via a commitee or something?

Anyway...

Australia: Clarke
England: Pietersen

Obviously Clarke to be MOS if only 1 is picked.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Clark has not bowled badly in the entire series. No-one has ever done that before in a 5 Test series.

Sho-in for mine.

Last edited:

Laurrz

International Debutant
Clark has not bowled badly in the entire series. No-one has ever done that before in a 5 Test series.

Shoe-in for mine.
Warney would be close last year.... Alderman ?

correct me if im wrong just asking lol...05 is a blur :P

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Do the coaches of each team still pick 1 man from each side to have 2 men of the series? or will it be just 1 man picked via a commitee or something?

Anyway...

Australia: Clarke
England: Pietersen

Obviously Clarke to be MOS if only 1 is picked.
They pick a MOS from each team, but then give the Compton-Miller medal to the single overall MOS.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Warney would be close last year.... Alderman ?

correct me if im wrong just asking lol...05 is a blur :P
Warne 25 3 74 0

Not saying he bowled badly, but his figures aren`t great. Whereas Clark has good figures for all 10 times he`s bowled. Incredible.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting and Clark are very close with Ponting perhaps shading it for mine, though it does depend a little bit on what happens tomorrow. There's still a chance for either one of them to put in a good performance.

Anyway, as I said in the 5th test thread the other day, Clark has been absolutely remarkable and has bowled well in every match, but generally the match defining spells have come from other bowlers. Clark's been a rock and taken plenty of key wickets, but it was Warne who turned the game in Adelaide and Melbourne and McGrath in Brisbane. Clark's not really dominated with the ball at any point to quite the extent that Ponting did with the bat across the first two tests. Obviously though, Clark has been good in every match while Ponting did nothing of note in Melbourne in his one chance.

If Australia are set a decent chase of 100+ tomorrow, I have a feeling that Ponting might take control and take Australia to the win, which will probably seal the MoTS award for him. If Clark grabs a few tomorrow and it ends quickly he might take it though. It's that close.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Pathetic arguement IMO. Clark is not showy and gets the job done quietly. Without him taking key wickets, other bowlers wouldn`t be able to turn matches around. Every single innings he has bowled well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Geraint Jones easily...

Seriously though, Ponting. Clark has been very consistent in picking up key wickets but he hasn't really turned up with a match-winning bowling display. That is possibly because of the strength of the other bowlers around him or even the fact that he rarely gets to bowl to the tail, but it is worth noting IMO. Ponting has been inconsistent but his innings on Day 1 of the Brisbane test really set the tone for the rest of the series and he really seemed ultra-determined to win the Ashes back off his own bat - and basically did so. I've also been quite impressed with his captaincy - something I have actually been quite critical of in the past, even when Australia have won easily.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Clark, its conceivable Ponting won't get a knock in the 2nd innings, and even if he does, if its 15-25*, it's fairly irrelevant.

Clark's been very good every test, and excellent on batting tracks, surely that has to be taken into account vs. Ponting's mountain of runs, as good as he has been.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Warney's out of the running yet, particularly given the emotion surrounding his farewell, and if he picks up all or most of the 5 wickets to fall today. Especially considering he's also made useful runs in these past two Tests, and that his series figures, while not particularly outstanding as a whole, have included several important and match-turning spells.

Still Clark at this stage for me though, just ahead of Punter, with Warney the dark horse for late charge tomorrow morning.

sideshowtim

Banned
Ponting has played 3 vital innings in the series. Without him we certainly wouldn't have won Adelaide, the GABBA would've been a bit harder and same goes for Perth.