• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The worst Australian team for years?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Langer and Hayden - both past their peak and not as consistant as in previous years
Ponting - probably the only member of the team at the peak of his form.
Hussey - First Ashes series
Clarke - Not established in the side
Symonds - unlikely to be a long term Test player dispite his recent century
Gilchrist - One great innings but another one past his peak
Warne - A freak, probably still be at his peak when he's 90 if he wanted to continue playing
Clarke - Top wicket taker, but 31 years old before getting a run in the side.
Lee - Inconsistant as always
McGrath - Obviously well past his prime and not needed in this series to produce a match winning performance.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well, it's better than the 2005 XI, if only because of Hussey & Clark.
It's not as good as the sides in the late 90's/early 2000's. Maybe on a par with the mid90's side with guys like Merv Hughes, Brendan Julian & Paul Reiffel? Beyond that, I'd reckon that Warne makes them superior to the Aus side in the early 90's.

Over the last 30 years or so:

1. Late 90's/early 2000's
2. Mid 70's
3= Current side & mid 90's
4= Late 70's & early 90's

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
You must stop this sort of in-depth analysis or people will start to think you like Britney Spears.
Well, their bowling coming through is good (Johnson, still have MacGill, Clark). Their batting is phenomenal, with some new guys coming in that should be good (Jaques, Hussey).

I don't see a big decline.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think it was Australia's greatness that really won them this series, it was more so the determination and willingness regain the Ashes and obviously England's lacklustre performances.

sideshowtim

Banned
Yeah, gee, what a horible team...17 consecutive undefeated test matches...Leading the second best team in the world 4-0... Worst team ever for sure.

luffy

International Captain
Totally crap imo. Hate to be England at the moment if Australia are being called crap England must be playing worse than USA.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Australia = Bangladesh really. Can beat Zimbabwe most of the time, but everything else is a huge struggle. Give them time people, were New Zealand any good when they first started? It`ll take years, but I can see them being competitive will Test playing nations in the not too distant future.

Stumped

Banned
by no means is this the worst australian team

if england are loosing 4-0 with a match to go in a five match series i think there should be a thread about how bad england are

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I can't believe the amount of people who have given serious responses to what is clearly not a serious thread to be honest.