• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The worst Australian team for years?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
I can't believe the amount of people who have given serious responses to what is clearly not a serious thread to be honest.

It's pure quality. My original idea for a thread was entitled "Would England have won if Popeye and Superman were in the team" But then I thought that would be pushing my luck a bit too far.:laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lillian Thomson said:
It's pure quality. My original idea for a thread was entitled "Would England have won if Popeye and Superman were in the team" But then I thought that would be pushing my luck a bit too far.:laugh:
I think Popeye's influence would greatly depend on if they decided to declare spinach a performance enhancing drug.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
bugssy said:
silly thread!

Come off it, it's not as if anyone has suggested that Australia lost on purpose because the current generation coming up to retirement wanted to add "regaining the Ashes" to their CV having previously never achieved that feat.

tooextracool

International Coach
I think its quite clear to me that both Hayden and Langer are 2 players who would have struggled to average in the 30s had they played in an any era before the late 90s. The fact that both had mediocre records before that bears testiment to it. Even now against a quality attack on a pitch offering any sort of assistance you can see their deficiencies being exposed quite easily. For mine while this current Australian bowling attack is still looking quite strong(with Johnson presumably coming in) the batting largely revolves around Ponting and Hussey(and to a lesser extent Clarke) while the rest are either ordinary(Langer, Hayden), past it(Gilchrist), or just rubbish(Symonds).

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hayden has shown that he is very vulnerable when the ball is seaming around and bouncing. He looked weak against the remnants of the great West Indian fast bowlers, and couldn't cope with the extreme pace of an unfit Shoaib Akhtar.

ripper868

International Coach
Yes hayden must be vulnerable when the ball is seaming and bouncing....being one of only 2 batters to score good runs on a pitch that finally did something for bowlers in melbourne.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I think many of the people who responded seriously, including me, were being sarcastic. To counter attack a silly thread you need a sarcastic response. :happy:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yes hayden must be vulnerable when the ball is seaming and bouncing....being one of only 2 batters to score good runs on a pitch that finally did something for bowlers in melbourne.
I mean against a semi-decent pace attack, England are not.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just about every batsman is more vulnerable when the ball is moving and bouncing. Hayden would have to be absolutely extraordinary or even beyond that to be exempt. He's scored runs in difficult conditions before, but it's blatantly obvious that he has a weakness against the moving ball. It doesn't make him a bad batsman though. Every batsman has weaknesses.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think many of the people who responded seriously, including me, were being sarcastic. To counter attack a silly thread you need a sarcastic response. :happy:

Nice try - although it could seen as using a double deflective simile to renounce your membership of the gullable pratt club.................or the other hand. Who Cares? No one!
Exactly.:cool:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
by no means is this the worst australian team

if england are loosing 4-0 with a match to go in a five match series i think there should be a thread about how bad england are
Why not a thread about how much of a tool you are?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayden has shown that he is very vulnerable when the ball is seaming around and bouncing. He looked weak against the remnants of the great West Indian fast bowlers, and couldn't cope with the extreme pace of an unfit Shoaib Akhtar.
Well of course he's vulnerable when the ball is seaming and bouncing - name a player in the history of the game who hasn't been. Some handle it better than others, but everyone's vulnerable to it. He's been the dominant opener in world cricket for over half a decade - he struggled in England last year but has scored runs virtually everywhere else. He's nearing the end but he's been quality for a long time.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well of course he's vulnerable when the ball is seaming and bouncing - name a player in the history of the game who hasn't been. Some handle it better than others, but everyone's vulnerable to it. He's been the dominant opener in world cricket for over half a decade - he struggled in England last year but has scored runs virtually everywhere else. He's nearing the end but he's been quality for a long time.
Of course, I'm not doubting his skill one bit, but he seems to be more susceptable to the seaming ball than most, escpecially as an opener.