• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Buchanan: "KP not a team player"

James

Cricket Web Owner
This belongs in the Ashes category Stumped, because it's related to the Ashes.

Use the report post feature if you have an occurance like this again :)

Stumped

Banned
oh ok...i thought coz its not just the ashes its the way buchanan thinks kp conducts himself in all games not just the ashes

Craig

World Traveller
Personally what does it have to with him?

He wouldn't say it to KP's face though, especially if he had just finished a net session :boxed:

howardj

International Coach
lol

Who gives a toss what Buch thinks?

He's always been off with the fairies.

I think a few in his own team regard him as an irrelevance.

So I'm quite sure most of the opposition do.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
What's with the article? It says that Pietersen "asked" to be moved up to 4 because he was sick of batting with tailenders, and then mentions that Fletcher said he hadn't wanted to bat there. I've not seen the first claim anywhere else, and it seems to contradict the second.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Whether he's a "team player" or not, he's done more for the team than any other in this series, so who cares?

And it would have been better, for the team, if KP had not been stuck with the tail at Perth, and hence made bigger scores than he did. Same goes for Lord's last year.

howardj

International Coach
I think the way he has slogged towards the end of the innings, when stuck with the tail, indicates that he's every bit the team player.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Couldn't give a **** what Buchanan thinks, and why should anyone. If it wasn't for KP we would have been thrashed a hell of a lot more than we just did.

sideshowtim

Banned
PhoenixFire said:
Couldn't give a **** what Buchanan thinks, and why should anyone. If it wasn't for KP we would have been thrashed a hell of a lot more than we just did.
Hard to be down by more than 4-0 with 4 matches played so far mate. That's a thrashing if ever I've seen one.

The point is that KP, even though Dunc and the rest of the team wanted him to bat 4 for the whole series, refused and said he felt more comfortable at 5. Since when the hell does he make those decisions? Fred should tell him "You bat 4 or you're out of the team". They wanted their best player at 4 and KP had a whinge and refused. So he finally bats 4, 8 innings too late. He put his own wants over the wants of the team.

That my friends, is not a team player.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Has anyone actually confirmed that the Flintoff/Fletcher wanted Pietersen to definitely bat at four and he flat out refused?
All I've heard so far are rumours...

sideshowtim

Banned
I read the article. Dunc said that they all wanted him at 4 since the start of the series however he declined and said he felt better at 5.

""We've been trying to get him to four but he just feels very, very comfortable at five," Fletcher said"

The captain and coach wanted him at 4. KP is not in a position of authority. He should move wherever the hell the captain and coach want him to.

sideshowtim

Banned
And then the reason he eventually DID move to 4, was not because of what the team wanted, it was rather because he didn't want to bat with the currently very poor English tail! What a joke!

"Then Kevin discussed with us that he was batting with the tail a lot and he wanted to bat four. We said 'Are you sure you want to? He said he'd rather do that than be caught with the tail that we've got at the moment."

PhoenixFire

International Coach
They should build the team around him, he is the best batter. It sounds soft, but if you get him happy, and let him go where he wants, then the chances are he'll bat better, and better for the team.

sideshowtim

Banned
PhoenixFire said:
They should build the team around him, he is the best batter. It sounds soft, but if you get him happy, and let him go where he wants, then the chances are he'll bat better, and better for the team.
Thats ridiculous! Give him the captaincy if you want to do that. We're not going to let Hussey do whatever he feels like just because he's our star batsman at the moment. Pietersen is not in a position to make these major decisions. The Captain and Coach decide what is best for the team, not a virtual rookie.

I think England are just worried they'll upset him and he'll bugger off back to South Africa or something.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
That's never going to happen, I'm not worrying about that.

To compare Australia to England is ridiculous. Of all the English batsmen, I'd say that only Pietersen at the moment has a realistic chance of getting into the Australian line up, to put in other words, your top order will score runs pretty much every match, wherever people bat.

It is different with us, because of the unreliablity of the top order. So, we have to utilise what small amount of real and developed talent we have, we should do this by putting Pietersen, our best player, where he feels he can play best for himself and the team, since he knows his own game better than anyone, like Fletcher and Flintoff.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sideshowtim said:
Hard to be down by more than 4-0 with 4 matches played so far mate. That's a thrashing if ever I've seen one.
Jeez. Read what he said.