• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Five-Nil, Five-Nil

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This team wasn't the best to go down there in 20 years. It was the best team to go down there in 20 years minus a third of its players. There's a difference.
Vaughan (Who would he have replaced?), Jones (who's reverse swing would've been negated here). That's it. Wow, two whole players!

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vaughan (Who would he have replaced?), Jones (who's reverse swing would've been negated here). That's it. Wow, two whole players!
Vaughan in for Mahmood. Jones can actually bowl straight regardless of the swing so he'd have been a help. Tresco could have come in for Collingwood (who actually did absolutely nothing bar his double century and his 96.) or Bell.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Yeah, let's just completely ignore Trescothick, shall we? 'Cause he doesn't have close to 6,000 Test runs or anything.

And if you're going to be pedantic and say that 3/11 isn't a third, then the injuries the other players have had in the last 6 months and subsequent loss of fitness is as good as losing another player.

As inexcusably terrible as they were, the simple fact is that the England side that lost the Ashes 5-0 was nowhere near full-strength. That's not to say the result would have been any different if they had been at full-strength, but the fact they weren't is pretty much the plain truth.

Scmods

Yeah, let's just completely ignore Trescothick, shall we? 'Cause he doesn't have close to 6,000 Test runs or anything.

And if you're going to be pedantic and say that 3/11 isn't a third, then the injuries the other players have had in the last 6 months and subsequent loss of fitness is as good as losing another player.

As inexcusably terrible as they were, the simple fact is that the England side that lost the Ashes 5-0 was nowhere near full-strength. That's not to say the result would have been any different if they had been at full-strength, but the fact they weren't is pretty much the plain truth.
Tresco? He's a hack these days. Can you honestly tell me it was better for English Cricket for Tresco to be in those 5 Test Matches for Cook?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Vaughan in for Mahmood. Jones can actually bowl straight regardless of the swing so he'd have been a help. Tresco could have come in for Collingwood (who actually did absolutely nothing bar his double century and his 96.) or Bell.
Been a long time but combined with the utterly brilliant delivery the man (Simon Jones) had more than a penchant for the half volley and a bit of legside trite. He was hardly gun barrel straight ala McGrath. Also Tresco wasn't much cop in Australia last time was he?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Tresco? He's a hack these days. Can you honestly tell me it was better for English Cricket for Tresco to be in those 5 Test Matches for Cook?
To be blunt, yes. Cook did next to nothing apart from his hundred at Perth (or was it Adelaide? The defeats are bleeding into one another these days), and given the fact that our biggest opening partnership of the series was something like 54, I don't think you can exactly say that the Strauss-Cook partnership was a success. I would far rather have had Trescothick at the top of the order with Cook at three and Bell at five. And yes, that does mean I'd have dropped Collingwood if Trescothick was fit, that double-hundred is an irrelevance.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Oh dear England. Wasn't this team the best to come down in here in 20 years? Well I think we've proven that England are ridiculously overrated, almost as much so as MS Dhoni and Shiad Afridi. It was funny watching the Barmy Army cheering today, but then again they are English so I guess they celebrate mediocrity.
Why of course.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scoring only 261 of them in Australia at an average of 26, probably best to ignore TBH.
Ricky Ponting doesn't have a good record in India, doesn't mean Australia leave him out when they go there. No reason why a class act like Tresco couldn't improve that.

Scmods

Ricky Ponting doesn't have a good record in India, doesn't mean Australia leave him out when they go there. No reason why a class act like Tresco couldn't improve that.
Rickys played 4 tests there, 3 was when Harbhjan was just absolutely destroying everybody, combined with a run of bad form from Ricky. And the 4th was coming back from a broken thumb in a dead rubber.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rickys played 4 tests there, 3 was when Harbhjan was just absolutely destroying everybody, combined with a run of bad form from Ricky. And the 4th was coming back from a broken thumb in a dead rubber.
14 innings in 4 Tests - that's impressive...

172 runs in said 14 innings, that's less so.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He could have but in his current state and performances in the summer I highly doubt he would have performed better than a Collingwood or Cook. Say what you will about the former, I will his not particularly good but his a fighter whilst old Tesco when the going gets tough, he gets going and sharpish (countdown for people to bring up road tons against South Africa at the Oval 3, 2, 1...).

Barney Rubble

International Coach
He could have but in his current state and performances in the summer I highly doubt he would have performed better than a Collingwood or Cook. Say what you will about the former, I will his not particularly good but his a fighter whilst old Tesco when the going gets tough, he gets going and sharpish (countdown for people to bring up road tons against South Africa at the Oval 3, 2, 1...).
I think you're doing Tresco a gigantic disservice there. You're effectively calling him a flat-track bully, which is a pretty damning indictment.