• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Five-Nil, Five-Nil

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hang on..........

We are a disgrace if we rub it in, so you are going to run it in 5 times more. Doesn't that make you 5 times the disgrace we are?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
pasag said:
I think the poms were much more gracious in victory then we have been tbh.

There were a few that rubbed it in, in 05, but not to this extent.
And to be fair I'd like to thank the majority of Australians for not going overboard.

Funnily enough it seems to be the more mature, well respected ones whose posts are usually entertaining and well written.

Wonder if there's any link between the 2?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Why are they a disgrace? Obviously they have played like ****, but it's not through lack of trying (which is the worrying bit).

PhoenixFire

International Coach
In my opinion, being a disgrace it not trying, giving up and behaving poorly, none of which the England team has done, if you want to see a disgrace, look no further than Ponting when he gets out on a bad day.

sideshowtim

Banned
PhoenixFire said:
In my opinion, being a disgrace it not trying, giving up and behaving poorly, none of which the England team has done, if you want to see a disgrace, look no further than Ponting when he gets out on a bad day.
How dare he show frustration on a cricket field!

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Swearing and abuse is way too far, you fon't get fined for being annoyed. Anyway, plenty of other players mange not to start swearing at people when they get out.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
marc71178 said:
And to be fair I'd like to thank the majority of Australians for not going overboard.

Funnily enough it seems to be the more mature, well respected ones whose posts are usually entertaining and well written.

Wonder if there's any link between the 2?
Agreed with marc tbh. I wouldn't mind if someone like pasag or Fuller did want to rub it in to me personally, I probably deserve it :p

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's irritating is after England's home Ashes series we got all of what 13-14 months before it's off to the old convict colony. The Aussies then get twice as long after their home series before England get a chance of restoring the Ashes to their rightful home, so Australia gets twice the gloating time if England win at home then Australia win at home... totally unfair. It's like saying oh Australia won the World Cup, lets not have another for 8 years then.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
What's irritating is after England's home Ashes series we got all of what 13-14 months before it's off to the old convict colony. The Aussies then get twice as long after their home series before England get a chance of restoring the Ashes to their rightful home, so Australia gets twice the gloating time if England win at home then Australia win at home... totally unfair. It's like saying oh Australia won the World Cup, lets not have another for 8 years then.
Are you suggesting 5 years between home series so its 2 and a half years each?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBF I heard that's what we want to do, so that we don't play the Ashes in WC season. Like it matters.

Nonetheless, I'd have the Ashes every 18 months myself :p

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:

That hasn't always been the case. For many years it was the other way around up to 1974/75. For example England won in Australia in 1970/71 and defended on home soil the following summer of 1972 and Australia then had to wait two and half years for the chance on home soil. This sequence changed when Australia agreed to play 4 Tests following the first World Cup in 1975 instead of another scheduled full tour in 1976. From then on the sequence has been the way it is now.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Well could that work?

Of course it couldn't. There is no way of having an equal gap between the series because of the reverse climates. Unless of course you want to play cricket in England in December/January or Australia in June/July.

Scaly piscine

Lillian Thomson said:
Of course it couldn't. There is no way of having an equal gap between the series because of the reverse climates. Unless of course you want to play cricket in England in December/January or Australia in June/July.
Err no, you just play in Australia in December/January and England in June/July or whatever, as happens already. You can have an equal gap for 2 series every 3/5/7 years and so on. If they were in the same hemisphere it would be every 2/4/6 years and so on.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Err no, you just play in Australia in December/January and England in June/July or whatever, as happens already. You can have an equal gap for 2 series every 3/5/7 years and so on. If they were in the same hemisphere it would be every 2/4/6 years and so on.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. But it's unlikely that the respective cricket boards would want a five year gap between home series anyway.

Scaly piscine

Yea, but you can still manage it so that the 2 1/2 year gaps are alternated or shared and you retain the current frequency of Ashes series.