• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hoggard At Number 11?

ripper868

International Coach
had to be form, or personal preference or something, he looked unhindered when he was bowling.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Bob Bamber said:
Was this purely because of his batting form. Or was there another reason.
How about a grand average of 5.22 in his last 25 Tests (HS 16) :laugh:

Or even better, how about because his career average is 7.41, which is even lower then the Aussie # 11, Glenn McGrath (7.45)

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it is quite stupid to be honest.

The likes of Harmison and Panesar are naturally going to have better averages than Hoggard because he doesn't play any shots, but if I was a batsman on 30 not out - I know who I'd rather see come at #9 and it's not Harmison. In fact, I'd actually bat Hoggard at #8 ahead of Mahmood. He has a much better chance of sticking around than Mahmood, Harmison or Panesar and he can play for the other batsman at the crease.

ripper868

International Coach
Pieterson seems to always be stuck with the tail, he needs to be promoted to 4 so he can get the chance to bat with other batters instead of having to not take singles to retain the strike and play shots like the one he got out to warne with.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
ripper868 said:
Pieterson seems to always be stuck with the tail, he needs to be promoted to 4 so he can get the chance to bat with other batters instead of having to not take singles to retain the strike and play shots like the one he got out to warne with.
I agree with that but it has little to do with where Hoggard should bat.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
ripper868 said:
Wouldn't be such an issue if Fred & the keepers hadn't be quite so horrible with the blade at six & seven.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Lillian Thomson said:
It's because there's no Number 12.
Rinsed!

Panesar has shown some skill with the bat of late, he has bumped his average up to 11 aswell, so he deserves to be above at least one person

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hoggard isn't ****, how dare you!!!!!

You see that cover-drive at Edgbaston last year? Tendyla would be proud :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
dontcloseyoureyes said:
He's batting at 11 because he's ****.
He really isn't though - I think his batting might suffer from this demotion - it'll shatter his confidence.

I seriously think he should be at #8 in the current England lineup - he is a lot more valuable with a set batsman than someone like Mahmood or Harmison.