• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hoggard At Number 11?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
He is crap now, he's declined steadily over the last 18months-2 years.

I'd like to see the average partnerships he's been in the last 2 years, if we are saying thats what counts in his case, because i don't think he's been nearly as effective as he was, and the fact is that Panesar had put in a few decent partnerships batting at 11 where he obvioulsy doesn't get the chance to form them as much as Hoggard does at 9. ( I remember a big one with Collie and least a couple of others around 40).

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Some stats

Since Ashes 2005.

No of runs added whilst Hoggard at the crease 665 in the course of 34 innings (19.56 per inns), 5 not outs leaves 22.93 per completed inns.

No of runs added whilst Harmison at the crease 560 in 26 inns (21.53), 5 NO's leaves 26.67 per inns.

Panesar - 220 runs added from 15 inns (14.67), but 9 NO's leaves 36.67.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As has already been stated, it makes no difference.

He would bat 11 for Aus and England have a terrible tail.

The old expression "You can't plait ****" applies here. Hoggard is a bad batsman. Batting him at 8 or 9 does not make him a number 8 or 9 batsman.

11 is fine for him, the problem is that everyone else is his equal or worse.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
As has already been stated, it makes no difference.

He would bat 11 for Aus and England have a terrible tail.

The old expression "You can't plait ****" applies here. Hoggard is a bad batsman. Batting him at 8 or 9 does not make him a number 8 or 9 batsman.

11 is fine for him, the problem is that everyone else is his equal or worse.
Yea, Flintoff at 7, Jones/Read at 8, someone else at 9 (Giles-like), and then 10 & 11 can be Hoggard and Panesar.

That would be ideal, until they find a better keeper.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly, when I heard Giles was picked on the basis of his batting I assumed Panesar was Chris Martin-esque. But he's actually not bad at all, can see him getting a Test 50 or two in his career.

ripper868 said:
Pieterson seems to always be stuck with the tail, he needs to be promoted to 4 so he can get the chance to bat with other batters instead of having to not take singles to retain the strike and play shots like the one he got out to warne with.
He did and failed.:ph34r:

luffy

International Captain
Because Hoggard is such a defensive batter have him last so they can try and last a couple more overs.