Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gilchrist in the Ashes.

Gilchrist in the Ashes.

Did anyone else notice Roebuck was really scathing about Gilchrist today on the radio; saying apart from one innings his Ashes series has been terrible and the wrong men were leaving or something to that effect - insinuating it should be Lee and Gilly instead of Warne and McGrath. What has everyone else thought of Gilchrist's series - may his time be up sooner that we, and he, all think? Personally I'd say Roebuck's comments on the one innings were been pretty fair and he has hardly redeemed himself from the last Ashes.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Eh? Load of crap IMO.

Sure, he's only played one particularly good innings, but how often has he been needed? Once century and one fifty in three tests is perfectly good, especially given that he's also been keeping very well (today aside). If Geraint had made one century and one fifty in the first three tests England fans and pundits would be over the moon with him. England would probably have done a fair bit better in the series, too.

If he fails in the final two tests the comments about his "one good innings" might have some merit, but one great innings and one handy one in three tests for a keeper is completely acceptable. Incidentally, his batting average in the series so far is better than Hayden, Langer and Symonds, not to mention every England player aside from Pietersen and Collingwood.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Yep, Roebuck being dire as usual. I was listening to that diatribe and just turned off.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Yeah great work with the gloves gilly
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

International Debutant
    bad day in the office i think thats it..

Lee should retire? huh? o.O

and how about the Adelaide innings.. important one that one

I haven't been particularly impressed by Gilchrist's keeping at all this series. Today was considerably worse than any other day but from the stands in The Gabba it was obvious that Gilchrist didn't have the energy to get behind the stumps to receive the throws.

Still too early to panic as his batting's been fine.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

gwo
    U19 Debutant
    it was rubbish...

Roebuck went on about 05/06 in england how they were both bad...fair comment...but then to bring it on to 06/07 how they were both poor...

Fair comment on Jones ...but Gilchrist's 61 in Adelaide was probably one of the best innings australia could have hoped for in that situation....

As for defending Gilchrist on his average...i dont think that you can seriously take averages as a signpost as to how a player has gone in this series...i mean B.Lee was averaging 60 before today...numbers deceive...our eyes dont...and Gilly has had a fair time with the bat and gloves.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    If it was any other keeper, a century and a fifty from three tests, would be considered a very good series. Do Aussies really have anyone better?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    If it was any other keeper, a century and a fifty from three tests, would be considered a very good series. Do Aussies really have anyone better?
    By all accounts Haddin's batting would be close on their respective current form, but dunno what his keeping's like really.

Anyway Gilly must surely have enough credit in the bank for a fair while yet. It's sometimes easy to forget after his career that he was in his late 20s before he got a proper go. It's no wonder he's so keen to prolong his career.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    I totally agree, a keeper who scores a fifty and hundred is doing fine, sure he muddled with the gloves a little bit today but hey, what were england bowled out for again?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurrz

Lee should retire? huh? o.O
    i think he was talking about how lees form hasnt been fantastic, and selectors could be considering dropping him in favour of johnson for the sydney test. those two wickets today were good fast bowlers wickets but.

Increasingly, I think Roebuck deals in extremes. Today's edition was but another example. It's as though, to grab people's attention, he comes out and makes these huge statements. Like, it's not enough to say that Gilchrist had a rare off day with the gloves. Instead, he has to go the whole way - i.e. it's "Gilchrist that should be the chap retiring, not Warne/McGrath etc". In short, he's become attention seeking.

He's probably hasn't totally gotten over the ``around the wicket`` tactic but he has had decent enough of series with the willow. Calls from this bloke on him to retire sounds a bit crazy..

Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    Increasingly, I think Roebuck deals in extremes. Today's edition was but another example. It's as though, to grab people's attention, he comes out and makes these huge statements. Like, it's not enough to say that Gilchrist had a rare off day with the gloves. Instead, he has to go the whole way - i.e. it's "Gilchrist that should be the chap retiring, not Warne/McGrath etc". In short, he's become attention seeking.
    His people are very theatrical, aren't they?

Roebuck is just weird. Personally, I reckon he's a schizophrenic. Something just clicks and he becomes a different person.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Roebuck is just weird. Personally, I reckon he's a schizophrenic. Something just clicks and he becomes a different person.
    Keen on musical theatre too.

Allegedly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information