• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist in the Ashes.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Did anyone else notice Roebuck was really scathing about Gilchrist today on the radio; saying apart from one innings his Ashes series has been terrible and the wrong men were leaving or something to that effect - insinuating it should be Lee and Gilly instead of Warne and McGrath. What has everyone else thought of Gilchrist's series - may his time be up sooner that we, and he, all think? Personally I'd say Roebuck's comments on the one innings were been pretty fair and he has hardly redeemed himself from the last Ashes.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Eh? Load of crap IMO.

Sure, he's only played one particularly good innings, but how often has he been needed? Once century and one fifty in three tests is perfectly good, especially given that he's also been keeping very well (today aside). If Geraint had made one century and one fifty in the first three tests England fans and pundits would be over the moon with him. England would probably have done a fair bit better in the series, too.

If he fails in the final two tests the comments about his "one good innings" might have some merit, but one great innings and one handy one in three tests for a keeper is completely acceptable. Incidentally, his batting average in the series so far is better than Hayden, Langer and Symonds, not to mention every England player aside from Pietersen and Collingwood.

Laurrz

International Debutant
bad day in the office i think thats it..

Lee should retire? huh? o.O

and how about the Adelaide innings.. important one that one

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't been particularly impressed by Gilchrist's keeping at all this series. Today was considerably worse than any other day but from the stands in The Gabba it was obvious that Gilchrist didn't have the energy to get behind the stumps to receive the throws.

Still too early to panic as his batting's been fine.

gwo

U19 Debutant
it was rubbish...

Roebuck went on about 05/06 in england how they were both bad...fair comment...but then to bring it on to 06/07 how they were both poor...

Fair comment on Jones ...but Gilchrist's 61 in Adelaide was probably one of the best innings australia could have hoped for in that situation....

As for defending Gilchrist on his average...i dont think that you can seriously take averages as a signpost as to how a player has gone in this series...i mean B.Lee was averaging 60 before today...numbers deceive...our eyes dont...and Gilly has had a fair time with the bat and gloves.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If it was any other keeper, a century and a fifty from three tests, would be considered a very good series. Do Aussies really have anyone better?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
silentstriker said:
If it was any other keeper, a century and a fifty from three tests, would be considered a very good series. Do Aussies really have anyone better?
By all accounts Haddin's batting would be close on their respective current form, but dunno what his keeping's like really.

Anyway Gilly must surely have enough credit in the bank for a fair while yet. It's sometimes easy to forget after his career that he was in his late 20s before he got a proper go. It's no wonder he's so keen to prolong his career.

ripper868

International Coach
I totally agree, a keeper who scores a fifty and hundred is doing fine, sure he muddled with the gloves a little bit today but hey, what were england bowled out for again?

Laurrz said:
Lee should retire? huh? o.O
i think he was talking about how lees form hasnt been fantastic, and selectors could be considering dropping him in favour of johnson for the sydney test. those two wickets today were good fast bowlers wickets but.

howardj

International Coach
Increasingly, I think Roebuck deals in extremes. Today's edition was but another example. It's as though, to grab people's attention, he comes out and makes these huge statements. Like, it's not enough to say that Gilchrist had a rare off day with the gloves. Instead, he has to go the whole way - i.e. it's "Gilchrist that should be the chap retiring, not Warne/McGrath etc". In short, he's become attention seeking.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
He's probably hasn't totally gotten over the ``around the wicket`` tactic but he has had decent enough of series with the willow. Calls from this bloke on him to retire sounds a bit crazy..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
howardj said:
Increasingly, I think Roebuck deals in extremes. Today's edition was but another example. It's as though, to grab people's attention, he comes out and makes these huge statements. Like, it's not enough to say that Gilchrist had a rare off day with the gloves. Instead, he has to go the whole way - i.e. it's "Gilchrist that should be the chap retiring, not Warne/McGrath etc". In short, he's become attention seeking.
His people are very theatrical, aren't they? ;)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Roebuck is just weird. Personally, I reckon he's a schizophrenic. Something just clicks and he becomes a different person.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
James90 said:
I haven't been particularly impressed by Gilchrist's keeping at all this series. Today was considerably worse than any other day but from the stands in The Gabba it was obvious that Gilchrist didn't have the energy to get behind the stumps to receive the throws.
I was thinking before he made the century in Perth that he would start to come under some serious pressure if the keeping fell away a little further and he started missing chances. Since the beginning of the last ashes series he has only made 800 odd runs at an average of 30 and if you take out the 144 v. Bangladesh and the unbeaten ton in Perth it is pretty ugly from a batting perspective. Over that time period I would have backed Haddin to put up better numbers than that and if Gilchrist is missing soda stumpings and not reaching sharpish catches that you would expect an Australian keeper to get to than the jungle drums in the media will start to get louder. I think Healy has it right when he says that Gilchrist should retire from the one dayers and concentrate on tests for another year or two after the world cup and give a Haddin, Ronchi or Paine an opportunity in the one day side to ease them into international cricket before he hangs up the gloves permanently.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I think that the 100 in Perth has clearly taken the heat off him, but he didn't keep well at all today, I can't ever invisage Australia dropping him until at least after the world cup, whatever he gets.

Slow Love™

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
His people are very theatrical, aren't they? ;)
Yes, it came out some years ago that despite his years of contributing to Australian media, he's actually English! I can't say I was surprised, though, all the telltale signs were there.

I didn't hear Roebuck's rant, but Lee has certainly been unimpressive (though not through lack of effort) and in spite of that amazing innings the other week, Gilly's certainly been in a bit of a patch of late. I'm still firmly in the "I wouldn't be dreaming of axing him" camp, even with his shoddy keeping yesterday. Still an incredibly dangerous weapon to have up your sleeve, and while his quickfire century doesn't necessarily say he's back, it shows he's still got it (there's a subtle difference). And, as others have said, his stats for this series are far from horrid and he's averaging 50+.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Slow Love™ said:
Yes, it came out some years ago that despite his years of contributing to Australian media, he's actually English! I can't say I was surprised, though, all the telltale signs were there.
Touche. :p

I here there's talk of developing an in utero test for the rogue "Pommie gene".

Slow Love™

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Touche. :p

I here there's talk of developing an in utero test for the rogue "Pommie gene".
:laugh: Actually Roebuck's really something of a prick, isn't he though? At times he writes well (though less and less as the years go by, I find), but he does launch into some really vitriolic attacks out of the blue occasionally. Coincidentally, I was just reading the Kenneth Williams diaries, and Roebuck shares more than a few traits.