Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: England Name ODI Squad

U19 12th Man

England Name ODI Squad

Wasn't sure where to put this.

England squad: J Anderson, I Bell, P Collingwood, J Dalrymple, A Flintoff, E Joyce, J Lewis, S Mahmood, P Nixon, M Panesar, K Pietersen, L Plunkett, C Read, A Strauss, C Tremlett, M Vaughan.

Vaughan named in squad , and is likely to be captain. Jones dropped for Nixon. Panesar played , although I thought he should have gone to India anyway. Tremlett probably the only other surprise. Oh and Harmison has retired from ODI's.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Frankly, I am not sure if you should put Panesar in ODI team. You don't want to turn him into a defensive bowler.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

What about reads I thought he would have come in before Nixon?
    Everyone Loves Winners

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    There`s already a thread on the series in CC. Mergeeee.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Nixon's selection is both totally bizarre and completely predictable. Mirrors Udal's - a step back when there was an opportunity to take a step forward going begging.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Nixon might not be Adam Gilchrist, but he's actually a very good batsman, that certainly has the talent to cope at ODI level. I remember watching him flick Darren Gough of his toes for a massive 6 at Chelmsford once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I don't think anyone except maybe James Foster, Stuart Broad or Darren Gough would have grounds to be too annoyed. Gough would be a huge backward step too, he was pretty cack when he came back in the (English) summer so I reckon his time has finally passed. Foster for Nixon & Broad for Plunkett should've been the way to go.

Panesar & Tremlett are encouraging inclusions; Panesar may hopefully be recognised as a genuine wicket taking threat & Tremlett seemed to have been totally forgotten since he came back from his injury probs.

The squad looks really short of runs tho. There's going to be massive pressure on KP, because if fails we're sqaurely screwed.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I don't think anyone except maybe James Foster, Stuart Broad or Darren Gough would have grounds to be too annoyed. Gough would be a huge backward step too, he was pretty cack when he came back in the (English) summer so I reckon his time has finally passed. Foster for Nixon & Broad for Plunkett should've been the way to go.

Panesar & Tremlett are encouraging inclusions; Panesar may hopefully be recognised as a genuine wicket taking threat & Tremlett seemed to have been totally forgotten since he came back from his injury probs.

The squad looks really short of runs tho. There's going to be massive pressure on KP, because if fails we're sqaurely screwed.
    That's assuming we'd be capable of competing even with him scoring 100 every game.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    That's assuming we'd be capable of competing even with him scoring 100 every game.
    Very fair shout, actually. For all his heroics in SA we still lost (IIRC) 4-1 & we've regressed since then IMHO.

U19 12th Man

When has an England one day squad looked any different? Nah , I agree to an extent. If Vaughan plays , with if named captain he defiantly will , Pieteresen 4 , Colly 5. I think this is really over looking Ian Bell. Unless he opens , which is a bad move for me. I don't think Cook really needs this. England should have sent another opener out there. A Darren Maddy perhaps (Any better ideas encouraged). If Nixon plays then the batting looks better , but that would be another knife in the coffin for Chris Read. As for the bowling I would be surprised if Tremlett lines up along with Lewis as the two main seamers along with Flintoff , and two spinners in the form of Panesar and Dalrymple.

Probable line-up:

1. Andrew Strauss
    2. Ian Bell / Alastair Cook ( More likely Bell)
    3. Michael Vaughan
    4. Kevin Pietersen
    5. Paul Collingwood
    6. Andrew Flintoff
    7/8. Nixon/Read + Dalrymple. If Nixon plays Dalrymple will be at Number 8. If Read then Dalrymple At 7.
    9. Chris Tremlett
    10. Jon Lewis
    11. Monty Panesar / Saj Mahmood (Depends on how the selectors are feeling).

Very fair shout, actually. For all his heroics in SA we still lost (IIRC) 4-1 & we've regressed since then IMHO.
    That was pretty much my point. It's all well and good him smashing runs left, right, and centre, but if he keeps arriving at the wicket with us 20-2 and soon finding himself the last recognised bat with only 150 on the board, even he won't be able to do much.

International Captain
    Contains only 6 players of true International quaility.............we're all doomed.

Agreed - I am astonished that Broad hasn't been picked, and I really have no idea why he's not appeared since the Pak series.

As for Gough, how long do we reckon until we read or hear the usual "the lads all want me back" moan from old twinkle toes?

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    "We`ve established more moderators in order to... do stuff. Sometimes."

Meeeerrrrggggeeeee

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Pretty poor that they are picking a 36 year old wicket keeper, he obviously has no future.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information