• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Name ODI Squad

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Wasn't sure where to put this.

England squad: J Anderson, I Bell, P Collingwood, J Dalrymple, A Flintoff, E Joyce, J Lewis, S Mahmood, P Nixon, M Panesar, K Pietersen, L Plunkett, C Read, A Strauss, C Tremlett, M Vaughan.

Vaughan named in squad , and is likely to be captain. Jones dropped for Nixon. Panesar played , although I thought he should have gone to India anyway. Tremlett probably the only other surprise. Oh and Harmison has retired from ODI's.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Frankly, I am not sure if you should put Panesar in ODI team. You don't want to turn him into a defensive bowler.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Nixon's selection is both totally bizarre and completely predictable. Mirrors Udal's - a step back when there was an opportunity to take a step forward going begging.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Nixon might not be Adam Gilchrist, but he's actually a very good batsman, that certainly has the talent to cope at ODI level. I remember watching him flick Darren Gough of his toes for a massive 6 at Chelmsford once.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think anyone except maybe James Foster, Stuart Broad or Darren Gough would have grounds to be too annoyed. Gough would be a huge backward step too, he was pretty cack when he came back in the (English) summer so I reckon his time has finally passed. Foster for Nixon & Broad for Plunkett should've been the way to go.

Panesar & Tremlett are encouraging inclusions; Panesar may hopefully be recognised as a genuine wicket taking threat & Tremlett seemed to have been totally forgotten since he came back from his injury probs.

The squad looks really short of runs tho. There's going to be massive pressure on KP, because if fails we're sqaurely screwed.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I don't think anyone except maybe James Foster, Stuart Broad or Darren Gough would have grounds to be too annoyed. Gough would be a huge backward step too, he was pretty cack when he came back in the (English) summer so I reckon his time has finally passed. Foster for Nixon & Broad for Plunkett should've been the way to go.

Panesar & Tremlett are encouraging inclusions; Panesar may hopefully be recognised as a genuine wicket taking threat & Tremlett seemed to have been totally forgotten since he came back from his injury probs.

The squad looks really short of runs tho. There's going to be massive pressure on KP, because if fails we're sqaurely screwed.
That's assuming we'd be capable of competing even with him scoring 100 every game. :laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Barney Rubble said:
That's assuming we'd be capable of competing even with him scoring 100 every game. :laugh:
Very fair shout, actually. For all his heroics in SA we still lost (IIRC) 4-1 & we've regressed since then IMHO. 8-)

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
BoyBrumby said:
When has an England one day squad looked any different? Nah , I agree to an extent. If Vaughan plays , with if named captain he defiantly will , Pieteresen 4 , Colly 5. I think this is really over looking Ian Bell. Unless he opens , which is a bad move for me. I don't think Cook really needs this. England should have sent another opener out there. A Darren Maddy perhaps (Any better ideas encouraged). If Nixon plays then the batting looks better , but that would be another knife in the coffin for Chris Read. As for the bowling I would be surprised if Tremlett lines up along with Lewis as the two main seamers along with Flintoff , and two spinners in the form of Panesar and Dalrymple.

Probable line-up:

1. Andrew Strauss
2. Ian Bell / Alastair Cook ( More likely Bell)
3. Michael Vaughan
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Andrew Flintoff
7/8. Nixon/Read + Dalrymple. If Nixon plays Dalrymple will be at Number 8. If Read then Dalrymple At 7.
9. Chris Tremlett
10. Jon Lewis
11. Monty Panesar / Saj Mahmood (Depends on how the selectors are feeling).

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Very fair shout, actually. For all his heroics in SA we still lost (IIRC) 4-1 & we've regressed since then IMHO. 8-)
That was pretty much my point. It's all well and good him smashing runs left, right, and centre, but if he keeps arriving at the wicket with us 20-2 and soon finding himself the last recognised bat with only 150 on the board, even he won't be able to do much.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Agreed - I am astonished that Broad hasn't been picked, and I really have no idea why he's not appeared since the Pak series.

As for Gough, how long do we reckon until we read or hear the usual "the lads all want me back" moan from old twinkle toes?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
"We`ve established more moderators in order to... do stuff. Sometimes."

Meeeerrrrggggeeeee

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty poor that they are picking a 36 year old wicket keeper, he obviously has no future.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Actually, the more I think about it the less sense Read's & Nixon's selections make. Read was summarily dumped from our test team after his (admitted pants) performance is the CT which was & remains to be an ODI competition.

Now, scarcely a month after this selectorial masterstroke he remains in the squad for the format in which he failed to produce (presumably as first choice) and the man who replaced him is out completely.

Genius. 8-)

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
BoyBrumby said:
Actually, the more I think about it the less sense Read's & Nixon's selections make. Read was summarily dumped from our test team after his (admitted pants) performance is the CT which was & remains to be an ODI competition.

Now, scarcely a month after this selectorial masterstroke he remains in the squad for the format in which he failed to produce (presumably as first choice) and the man who replaced him is out completely.

Genius. 8-)
I think Fletcher is biding time until Steven Davies is ready.Over the past 6 months he messed around with the keepers way too much. He's selected Nixon on the fact that he can probably because he can get him through the world cup. If Read was to play , why bother flying Nixon over in the first place. Just name Jones and not play him. If I'm honest I don't believe that Fletcher likes Read.

The England are waiting for Steven Davies. But why they aren't looking at James Foster. Can somebody tell me , is Steven Davies actually as good as the hype that surrounds him. I just hope they don't rush him in the team like they did , and end up dropping him and returning a 30 year old Chris Read for his fifth comeback. Or worser still a 32 year old Geraint Jones.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Panesar in the squad, questionable, but when he's bowling in first class games, he strikes early, and gets wickets within his first few overs.

Steulen

International Regular
A bowler of his specific qualities must be given a run in the side sooner or later...why not now. It's not as if England are preparing for a genuine attempt at the World Cup anyway, it'll just be a distraction from playing Test cricket

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:

Genius. 8-)
Actually I think it's the other 2 selectors pulling rank over Duncan.

If Jones were in the ODI squad as 2nd keeper, Duncan would pick him.

Therefore if they refuse to put Jones in there, Duncan can't pick him!