• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Name ODI Squad

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Stewie law could open for england bat anywhere,and he can bowl medium and bowl offies.
As i say if england get smashed why the hell not he has played in the world cup before.
We're not that desperate, thanks. He's played for Australia anyway.

tooextracool

International Coach
England squad: J Anderson, A Flintoff,S Mahmood, P Nixon, L Plunkett, M Vaughan.
What intelligent, well thought out selections. James Anderson, Sajid Mahmood and Liam Plunkett can barely land 2 balls on the same spot yet they are put down in the test and ODI squad as though they've set the world alight in their international careers thus far. Liam Plunkett hasnt played a game since his injury, yet the selectors seem to believe that he'll be ready to maintain his already dismal current ODI record.
What on earth is the point of having Flintoff in the side when he himself claims that he cant put his ankle down without feeling any pain? One can only assume hes in the side for his batting.
and Michael Vaughan who is currently setting the world alight in the Academy is set to resume his brilliant ODI career.

tooextracool

International Coach
Probable line-up:

1. Andrew Strauss
2. Ian Bell / Alastair Cook ( More likely Bell)
3. Michael Vaughan
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Andrew Flintoff
7/8. Nixon/Read + Dalrymple. If Nixon plays Dalrymple will be at Number 8. If Read then Dalrymple At 7.
9. Chris Tremlett
10. Jon Lewis
11. Monty Panesar / Saj Mahmood (Depends on how the selectors are feeling).
is cook even in the squad?

tooextracool

International Coach
Panesar in the squad, questionable, but when he's bowling in first class games, he strikes early, and gets wickets within his first few overs.
I honestly dont think he'll be a very successful in ODIs but i think we're desperate enough to try anything so his selection is acceptable

tooextracool

International Coach
Not sure on Batty or Foster, but can assume that the selectors have watched them enough to decide that even at 36, Nixon's a better short term option.
If we're considering short term options then why not pick Mark Ramprakash, Graeme Hick and Mark Ealham? I think id much rather see Ealham and Jon Lewis take the new ball than Plunkett and Mahmood and similarly id prefer to have Hick and Ramprakash in the middle than Strauss and Collingwood.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When has an England one day squad looked any different? Nah , I agree to an extent. If Vaughan plays , with if named captain he defiantly will , Pieteresen 4 , Colly 5. I think this is really over looking Ian Bell. Unless he opens , which is a bad move for me. I don't think Cook really needs this. England should have sent another opener out there. A Darren Maddy perhaps (Any better ideas encouraged). If Nixon plays then the batting looks better , but that would be another knife in the coffin for Chris Read. As for the bowling I would be surprised if Tremlett lines up along with Lewis as the two main seamers along with Flintoff , and two spinners in the form of Panesar and Dalrymple.

Probable line-up:

1. Andrew Strauss
2. Ian Bell / Alastair Cook ( More likely Bell)
3. Michael Vaughan
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Andrew Flintoff
7/8. Nixon/Read + Dalrymple. If Nixon plays Dalrymple will be at Number 8. If Read then Dalrymple At 7.
9. Chris Tremlett
10. Jon Lewis
11. Monty Panesar / Saj Mahmood (Depends on how the selectors are feeling).
Aside from Cook being out of the ODI squad, as mentioned above, Dalrymple is a better batsman than both Nixon and Read, so why would it matter which one of them plays? He should be batting above them.

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Aside from Cook being out of the ODI squad, as mentioned above, Dalrymple is a better batsman than both Nixon and Read, so why would it matter which one of them plays? He should be batting above them.
Don't know where I got Cook from. Vaughan will most likely open in that case.

I wasn't sure either way , having seen little of both Read and Nixon.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Given that Bell has only faild to pass 30 twice in 9 innings opening the batting in ODIs, I'm fairly certain he will be opening the batting. He's practically the number one opener IMO.

Innings in ODIs, opening:

75, 5, 53, 30, 46, 32, 4, 43, 50

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What intelligent, well thought out selections. James Anderson, Sajid Mahmood and Liam Plunkett can barely land 2 balls on the same spot yet they are put down in the test and ODI squad as though they've set the world alight in their international careers thus far. Liam Plunkett hasnt played a game since his injury, yet the selectors seem to believe that he'll be ready to maintain his already dismal current ODI record.
What on earth is the point of having Flintoff in the side when he himself claims that he cant put his ankle down without feeling any pain? One can only assume hes in the side for his batting.
and Michael Vaughan who is currently setting the world alight in the Academy is set to resume his brilliant ODI career.
Unfortunately except Plunkett being out for Broad, England don't have much better options around to pick..