Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: England Name ODI Squad

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Actually, the more I think about it the less sense Read's & Nixon's selections make. Read was summarily dumped from our test team after his (admitted pants) performance is the CT which was & remains to be an ODI competition.

Now, scarcely a month after this selectorial masterstroke he remains in the squad for the format in which he failed to produce (presumably as first choice) and the man who replaced him is out completely.

Genius.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Actually, the more I think about it the less sense Read's & Nixon's selections make. Read was summarily dumped from our test team after his (admitted pants) performance is the CT which was & remains to be an ODI competition.

Now, scarcely a month after this selectorial masterstroke he remains in the squad for the format in which he failed to produce (presumably as first choice) and the man who replaced him is out completely.

Genius.
    I think Fletcher is biding time until Steven Davies is ready.Over the past 6 months he messed around with the keepers way too much. He's selected Nixon on the fact that he can probably because he can get him through the world cup. If Read was to play , why bother flying Nixon over in the first place. Just name Jones and not play him. If I'm honest I don't believe that Fletcher likes Read.

The England are waiting for Steven Davies. But why they aren't looking at James Foster. Can somebody tell me , is Steven Davies actually as good as the hype that surrounds him. I just hope they don't rush him in the team like they did , and end up dropping him and returning a 30 year old Chris Read for his fifth comeback. Or worser still a 32 year old Geraint Jones.

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Panesar in the squad, questionable, but when he's bowling in first class games, he strikes early, and gets wickets within his first few overs.
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

A bowler of his specific qualities must be given a run in the side sooner or later...why not now. It's not as if England are preparing for a genuine attempt at the World Cup anyway, it'll just be a distraction from playing Test cricket
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby

Genius.
    Actually I think it's the other 2 selectors pulling rank over Duncan.

If Jones were in the ODI squad as 2nd keeper, Duncan would pick him.

Therefore if they refuse to put Jones in there, Duncan can't pick him!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Why does Surrey's Jon Batty never get a look in?

From the BBC Cricket page..

"Batty has been Surrey's first-choice keeper since the retirement of Alec Stewart and as well as more than 550 catches and stumpings during his career, he has also scored over 8,500 runs in all forms of the game, including 12 first-class centuries."

He often opens for Surrey so can't get the benefit of 'not out innings' to bolster his average.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoggz
    Why does Surrey's Jon Batty never get a look in?

From the BBC Cricket page..

"Batty has been Surrey's first-choice keeper since the retirement of Alec Stewart and as well as more than 550 catches and stumpings during his career, he has also scored over 8,500 runs in all forms of the game, including 12 first-class centuries."

He often opens for Surrey so can't get the benefit of 'not out innings' to bolster his average.
    I think Nixon is just a stop gap for Steven Davies. Batty probably just came about at the wrong time really. But lets face it , as with most good english players , Fletcher wont give them a look in.

I'm not to certain about the Panesar selection. For one reason , I just hope it doesn't ruin his test career. It shouldn't admittidly but Warne has played better ever since he stopped playing ODI's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bamber
    I think Nixon is just a stop gap for Steven Davies. Batty probably just came about at the wrong time really. But lets face it , as with most good english players , Fletcher wont give them a look in.
    Really?

Who has he not given a look in to who you're certain would've been a great Test player?

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Really?

Who has he not given a look in to who you're certain would've been a great Test player?
    Well its mainly the guys who he did pick. The likes of Anderson , Giles Jones. Who he persisted with despite the fact that they aren't really test quality. Guys like Nic Pothas , Stuart Law , May Loye (OK the first two only got English clearance a few months ago). But look at the likes of Mahmood , Yardy who are stopping the real quality of England come through. The likes of Broad who should be in the England setup now. James Foster has been left out wrongly for this ODI tour. I just don't like Fletcher anymore. He picks the wrong players at the wrong time and makes some glaring obvious mistakes.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Stuart Law is an Aussie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson
    Contains only 6 players of true International quaility
    Flintoff, Panesar, Pietersen, ...umm give us a hand will you? Bell? Vaughan? A.N. Other... I seriously have no idea who you're on about.

Matt Prior? Jon Batty? Steven Davies? James Foster? Geraint Jones??? Why the hell would they pick a 36-year old? It makes absolutely no sense. Nic Pothas is still ineligible isn't he? Has he committed his career to South Africa alone?

Some light on the subject would be appreciated.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by James90
    Matt Prior? Jon Batty? Steven Davies? James Foster? Geraint Jones??? Why the hell would they pick a 36-year old? It makes absolutely no sense. Nic Pothas is still ineligible isn't he? Has he committed his career to South Africa alone?

I'm not altogether sure about his qualification period, but he's definitely committed to England now as he's playing over here as an EU player (he's got a Greek passport IIRC) & not an overseas player.

Quote Originally Posted by James90

Jones would be in the squad, if it weren't for the other 2 selectors knowing that if he were in the squad, Duncan would pick him.

Prior's been tried and been a miserable failure.

Davies is probably still too young.

Not sure on Batty or Foster, but can assume that the selectors have watched them enough to decide that even at 36, Nixon's a better short term option.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bamber
    Well its mainly the guys who he did pick. The likes of Anderson , Giles Jones. Who he persisted with despite the fact that they aren't really test quality.
    Yet all 3 have shown more than just glimpses of being successful in the past...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information