• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Name ODI Squad

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why does Surrey's Jon Batty never get a look in?

From the BBC Cricket page..

"Batty has been Surrey's first-choice keeper since the retirement of Alec Stewart and as well as more than 550 catches and stumpings during his career, he has also scored over 8,500 runs in all forms of the game, including 12 first-class centuries."

He often opens for Surrey so can't get the benefit of 'not out innings' to bolster his average.

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Shoggz said:
Why does Surrey's Jon Batty never get a look in?

From the BBC Cricket page..

"Batty has been Surrey's first-choice keeper since the retirement of Alec Stewart and as well as more than 550 catches and stumpings during his career, he has also scored over 8,500 runs in all forms of the game, including 12 first-class centuries."

He often opens for Surrey so can't get the benefit of 'not out innings' to bolster his average.
I think Nixon is just a stop gap for Steven Davies. Batty probably just came about at the wrong time really. But lets face it , as with most good english players , Fletcher wont give them a look in.

I'm not to certain about the Panesar selection. For one reason , I just hope it doesn't ruin his test career. It shouldn't admittidly but Warne has played better ever since he stopped playing ODI's.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bob Bamber said:
I think Nixon is just a stop gap for Steven Davies. Batty probably just came about at the wrong time really. But lets face it , as with most good english players , Fletcher wont give them a look in.
Really?

Who has he not given a look in to who you're certain would've been a great Test player?

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Really?

Who has he not given a look in to who you're certain would've been a great Test player?
Well its mainly the guys who he did pick. The likes of Anderson , Giles Jones. Who he persisted with despite the fact that they aren't really test quality. Guys like Nic Pothas , Stuart Law , May Loye (OK the first two only got English clearance a few months ago). But look at the likes of Mahmood , Yardy who are stopping the real quality of England come through. The likes of Broad who should be in the England setup now. James Foster has been left out wrongly for this ODI tour. I just don't like Fletcher anymore. He picks the wrong players at the wrong time and makes some glaring obvious mistakes.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Lillian Thomson said:
Contains only 6 players of true International quaility
Flintoff, Panesar, Pietersen, ...umm give us a hand will you? Bell? Vaughan? A.N. Other... I seriously have no idea who you're on about.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Matt Prior? Jon Batty? Steven Davies? James Foster? Geraint Jones??? Why the hell would they pick a 36-year old? It makes absolutely no sense. Nic Pothas is still ineligible isn't he? Has he committed his career to South Africa alone?

Some light on the subject would be appreciated.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
James90 said:
Matt Prior? Jon Batty? Steven Davies? James Foster? Geraint Jones??? Why the hell would they pick a 36-year old? It makes absolutely no sense. Nic Pothas is still ineligible isn't he? Has he committed his career to South Africa alone?

I'm not altogether sure about his qualification period, but he's definitely committed to England now as he's playing over here as an EU player (he's got a Greek passport IIRC) & not an overseas player.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
James90 said:

Jones would be in the squad, if it weren't for the other 2 selectors knowing that if he were in the squad, Duncan would pick him.

Prior's been tried and been a miserable failure.

Davies is probably still too young.

Not sure on Batty or Foster, but can assume that the selectors have watched them enough to decide that even at 36, Nixon's a better short term option.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bob Bamber said:
Well its mainly the guys who he did pick. The likes of Anderson , Giles Jones. Who he persisted with despite the fact that they aren't really test quality.
Yet all 3 have shown more than just glimpses of being successful in the past...

brockley

International Captain
I think stewie law would be a good choice for the world cup,he is still performing and adds experience to the team.Face if england get smashed in the one dayers why the hell not.
Read won't make it through the vb series the 36 year old nixon will replace him as read will score no runs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
marc71178 said:
Actually I think it's the other 2 selectors pulling rank over Duncan.

If Jones were in the ODI squad as 2nd keeper, Duncan would pick him.

Therefore if they refuse to put Jones in there, Duncan can't pick him!
Logical thinking that Marc, never really thought of it like that.

I'm beginning to wonder if you know someone on the "inside." You've made a lot of sense with your selectorial "theories" lately.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I'm beginning to wonder if you know someone on the "inside." You've made a lot of sense with your selectorial "theories" lately.
I'm just very cynical - always have been.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Logical thinking that Marc, never really thought of it like that.

tbf i posted pretty much the same thing about a week ago in this thread

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
silentstriker said:
Frankly, I am not sure if you should put Panesar in ODI team. You don't want to turn him into a defensive bowler.
He has a lot more potential to be a vital part of a team as an ODI bowler. Even if he becomes or is arguably the best orthodox finger spinner in world cricket he's going to be nothing more than an occasional factor in Test cricket.

brockley

International Captain
Stewie law could open for england bat anywhere,and he can bowl medium and bowl offies.
As i say if england get smashed why the hell not he has played in the world cup before.