• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Beginning of the End?

howardj

International Coach
I think there's little doubt over the next four years (I always work in four year cycles) that Australia will still be highly competitive and a very good side with Warne and McGrath gone. However, I think a window into the future was the summer of 2003-04. Australia confronted India (one of the best teams in the world at that particular time) sans McGrath and Warne. That summer, and I think for the forseeable future, the following points emerged:

- We will draw quite a few more games;
- We won't be as able to take wickets through drying up the scoring;
- We will still be very able to compile big scores; and
- Most significantly, we will lose our aura, and other sides won't be intimidated by us.

As a result, while we may retain our number one ranking in Test cricket, there certainly will not be anything like a big gap back to the rest of the field. I predict we'll probably be, in terms of world ratings, how we were in 1994-1996. Arguably - but not clearly - the best team.