Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: MY View on this

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Listen, I don't go around London, go up to groups of black people and call them ******s instead of people, I have never once called a black person a ******, and never intend to, but what I'm trying to get at, is that you shouldn't immediatley be labelled a racist if you call a black man a ******.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    Listen, I don't go around London, go up to groups of black people and call them ******s instead of people, I have never once called a black person a ******, and never intend to, but what I'm trying to get at, is that you shouldn't immediatley be labelled a racist if you call a black man a ******.
    If you, as a white person, ever go up to someone and call them a ******, you are either incredibly ignorant of the word, or are racist.

Also, if you don't ever intend to go up to someone and use that word, doesn't that tell you that maybe there is something in that word?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    If you, as a white person, ever go up to someone and call them a ******, you are either incredibly ignorant of the word, or are racist.

Also, if you don't ever intend to go up to someone and use that word, doesn't that tell you that maybe there is something in that word?

I agree that it is a racist word, and that it would be an awful thing to say to somebody, but not in every circumstance.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    I sorry for the mistype.... can we please forget this

Banned
    Chris i accept your apology but if you do it again ill have to belt your brains in OK?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    I disagree with dictionary.com.

The word that you say when you say 'Mike Hunt' is the most offensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Nah, you pretty much should.
    I agree that it is a racist word, and that it would be an awful thing to say to somebody, but not in every circumstance.
    It is offensive in almost all circumstances. I can't quite see why you're seeking to justify the use of the word anyway.
    Last edited by Dasa; 23-12-2006 at 04:53 PM.

Boredmeeting Champion!
    Are the Robertson's Preserves 'Golly' characters now a symbol of racism?

These things in case you don't know what i mean.

EDIT: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...069322,00.html Turns out Political Correctness has indeed gone mad.
    Last edited by Matteh; 23-12-2006 at 05:21 PM.

I don't know the history behind them, but it looks to me like the character is something similar to a golliwog character, in which case it definitely is a symbol of racism. I mean, it's (the golliwog) obviously based on a negative racial stereotype of the simple (stupid), but friendly and loyal black man. The character is portrayed not so much as human than as some sort of loyal animal following the white man's bidding.

Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    I don't know the history behind them, but it looks to me like the character is something similar to a golliwog character, in which case it definitely is a symbol of racism. I mean, it's (the golliwog) obviously based on a negative racial stereotype of the simple (stupid), but friendly and loyal black man. The character is portrayed not so much as human than as some sort of loyal animal following the white man's bidding.
    You got all that from one picture of a 'golliwogg'.
    Ever thought of becoming a spin doctor?

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    People PLEEEEASSSEEEE I don`t wanna see a Hinton thread get closed, it just ain`t right. Let`s hold hands and sing for peaaaaaceeeee
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

A word should only be offensive if it is used in offensive situations, that being said there really aren't any situation the 'N' word is not offensive and really, it's the worst of the worst. There are no (or extremely little) acceptable contexts for the useage of the word.

Go down to where I lived in NY and say it and you will not come out alive, fact.
    Last edited by pasag; 23-12-2006 at 08:15 PM.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    You got all that from one picture of a 'golliwogg'.
    Ever thought of becoming a spin doctor?
    Very funny.
    I didn't get all that from one picture of a golliwogg, I got all that from my knowledge of history. Read up on it a bit. As to that article you linked to - nothing to do with political correctness, everything to do with not offending people...unfortunately, it seems as if nowadays you can be as racist/sexist as you like and justify it by saying you''re just opposing 'PC'. I also noticed your article didn't have a word about the racist undertones of the golliwogg image...so you have a problem with 'PC', but no problem with whitewashing history. Interesting.

Boredmeeting Champion!
    Very funny.
    I didn't get all that from one picture of a golliwogg, I got all that from my knowledge of history. Read up on it a bit.
    And you have the gall to accuse me of using a tone of intellectual superiority.

As to that article you linked to - nothing to do with political correctness, everything to do with not offending people...unfortunately, it seems as if nowadays you can be as racist/sexist as you like and justify it by saying you''re just opposing 'PC'.
    Isn't political correctness all about not offending people? If you're a racist then i guess you must try and find loopholes to justify your beliefs, but you can still be anti the over PC-ing of society and not be a racist/sexist.

I also noticed your article didn't have a word about the racist undertones of the golliwogg image...so you have a problem with 'PC', but no problem with whitewashing history. Interesting.
    Why would it need to? The average Times reader isn't look for the breasts on the third page and will make the connection between 'Golliwogg' and the offensive term that has developed from this name. The doll is popular through a combination of jam sales and a knowledge that there's an innocence about it in that it's not setting out to be a racist figure.

cbf. Wrong thread for it anyway.
    Last edited by Dasa; 23-12-2006 at 10:30 PM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information