• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MY View on this

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Listen, I don't go around London, go up to groups of black people and call them Niggers instead of people, I have never once called a black person a ******, and never intend to, but what I'm trying to get at, is that you shouldn't immediatley be labelled a racist if you call a black man a ******.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Listen, I don't go around London, go up to groups of black people and call them Niggers instead of people, I have never once called a black person a ******, and never intend to, but what I'm trying to get at, is that you shouldn't immediatley be labelled a racist if you call a black man a ******.
If you, as a white person, ever go up to someone and call them a ******, you are either incredibly ignorant of the word, or are racist.

Also, if you don't ever intend to go up to someone and use that word, doesn't that tell you that maybe there is something in that word?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
silentstriker said:
If you, as a white person, ever go up to someone and call them a ******, you are either incredibly ignorant of the word, or are racist.

Also, if you don't ever intend to go up to someone and use that word, doesn't that tell you that maybe there is something in that word?

I agree that it is a racist word, and that it would be an awful thing to say to somebody, but not in every circumstance.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I disagree with dictionary.com.

The word that you say when you say 'Mike Hunt' is the most offensive.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
PhoenixFire said:
Nah, you pretty much should.
PhoenixFire said:
I agree that it is a racist word, and that it would be an awful thing to say to somebody, but not in every circumstance.
It is offensive in almost all circumstances. I can't quite see why you're seeking to justify the use of the word anyway.

Last edited:

Dasa

I don't know the history behind them, but it looks to me like the character is something similar to a golliwog character, in which case it definitely is a symbol of racism. I mean, it's (the golliwog) obviously based on a negative racial stereotype of the simple (stupid), but friendly and loyal black man. The character is portrayed not so much as human than as some sort of loyal animal following the white man's bidding.

Matteh

Dasa said:
I don't know the history behind them, but it looks to me like the character is something similar to a golliwog character, in which case it definitely is a symbol of racism. I mean, it's (the golliwog) obviously based on a negative racial stereotype of the simple (stupid), but friendly and loyal black man. The character is portrayed not so much as human than as some sort of loyal animal following the white man's bidding.
You got all that from one picture of a 'golliwogg'.
Ever thought of becoming a spin doctor?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
People PLEEEEASSSEEEE I don`t wanna see a Hinton thread get closed, it just ain`t right. Let`s hold hands and sing for peaaaaaceeeee

pasag

RTDAS
A word should only be offensive if it is used in offensive situations, that being said there really aren't any situation the 'N' word is not offensive and really, it's the worst of the worst. There are no (or extremely little) acceptable contexts for the useage of the word.

Go down to where I lived in NY and say it and you will not come out alive, fact.

Last edited:

Dasa

Matteh said:
You got all that from one picture of a 'golliwogg'.
Ever thought of becoming a spin doctor?
Very funny.
I didn't get all that from one picture of a golliwogg, I got all that from my knowledge of history. Read up on it a bit. As to that article you linked to - nothing to do with political correctness, everything to do with not offending people...unfortunately, it seems as if nowadays you can be as racist/***ist as you like and justify it by saying you''re just opposing 'PC'. I also noticed your article didn't have a word about the racist undertones of the golliwogg image...so you have a problem with 'PC', but no problem with whitewashing history. Interesting.

Matteh

Dasa said:
Very funny.
I didn't get all that from one picture of a golliwogg, I got all that from my knowledge of history. Read up on it a bit.
And you have the gall to accuse me of using a tone of intellectual superiority.

Dasa said:
As to that article you linked to - nothing to do with political correctness, everything to do with not offending people...unfortunately, it seems as if nowadays you can be as racist/***ist as you like and justify it by saying you''re just opposing 'PC'.
Isn't political correctness all about not offending people? If you're a racist then i guess you must try and find loopholes to justify your beliefs, but you can still be anti the over PC-ing of society and not be a racist/***ist.

Dasa said:
I also noticed your article didn't have a word about the racist undertones of the golliwogg image...so you have a problem with 'PC', but no problem with whitewashing history. Interesting.
Why would it need to? The average Times reader isn't look for the breasts on the third page and will make the connection between 'Golliwogg' and the offensive term that has developed from this name. The doll is popular through a combination of jam sales and a knowledge that there's an innocence about it in that it's not setting out to be a racist figure.

adharcric

International Coach
pasag said:
A word should only be offensive if it is used in offensive situations, that being said there really aren't any situation the 'N' word is not offensive and really, it's the worst of the worst. There are no (or extremely little) acceptable contexts for the useage of the word.

Go down to where I lived in NY and say it and you will not come out alive, fact.
There are very few acceptable situations - for example, the "wassup nigga" greetings that are quite common between certain teenage groups now.
Of course, it's only acceptable when there are no black people involved (I've seen white/indian/chinese guys call each other niggas) or when there are only black people involved. Clearly shouldn't be used publicly, but there's no reason to get so anal about it otherwise. If the understanding is already there, using the term isn't such a big deal.
That said, I wouldn't use the term because I wouldn't want it to slip out at the wrong time (even if there was no bad intention, I'd get my ass owned as Pasag just noted).

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Matteh said:
Isn't political correctness all about not offending people? If you're a racist then i guess you must try and find loopholes to justify your beliefs, but you can still be anti the over PC-ing of society and not be a racist/***ist.
Spot on this IMO. The fact is, that this country has gotten so PC there are many, many things you can't say or do. Having a St. George's flag flying on St. George's day may offend minorities, Christmas lights really should be labelled "Winter celebration lights" so as not to offend minority religions, Gingerbread men are now Gingerbread people, blackboards are chalkboards etc etc. If thinking that all that is stupid makes me a racist...well that would be the final proof in my eyes that the world's gone mad.