• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MY View on this

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The folly of comparing payer performances in a grade comp compared to their performances in FC comp can best be illustrated by the fact that both Nasser Hussain and Monty Panesar have played at different times in Adelaide's grade comp, not exactly the best standard in the country, and struggled all season. If you've played FC cricket, it would be awfully difficult to get up mentally for even 1st grade cricket so to compare the two without considering the mental aspect seems somewhat erroneous.

As for NSW grade cricket being the equal of county cricket, that's just silly. NSW are middle-table in both comps here; the state side isn't even the best in this country, let alone better than every other team in England and they were just spanked by Victoria by an innings, despite Vic only being one place on the table higher.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Top_Cat said:
The folly of comparing payer performances in a grade comp compared to their performances in FC comp
I don't think anyone's arguing that there is more money in the grade competition, Corey. :p

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
AussieDominance said:
Well Broad,Plunkett and co were playing and were probably in the Top 66 a few years ago.
Broad couldn't get in the Leicestershire team a couple of years ago. To come from the Leicestershire Second XI to the England ODI Team in about 24 months is a great achievement, and testament to his achievements and talent.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Ausssie grade Cricket is far better then English Club cricket. its better orgainzed and seems to develop playeers better and you see test stars in Grade cricket on occisions, in Club cricket you never see it

chris.hinton

International Captain
England (2007)

Strauss
Cook
Collingwood
Vaughan
Pietersen
Flintoff
Davies
A second all rounder or Rashid
Hoggard
Broad
Panesar

Squad Players

Bell
Prior
Plunkett
Golderman(Middlesex)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
chris.hinton said:
Golderman(Middlesex)
It's Godleman, for a start. He's 17 and has played 1 First Class game (against a university, no less). No chance.

And what happened to giving Harmison and Anderson one last chance like your original post? Stay consistent, man.

Last edited:
chris.hinton said:
Ausssie grade Cricket is far better then English Club cricket. its better orgainzed and seems to develop playeers better and you see test stars in Grade cricket on occisions, in Club cricket you never see it

Thankyou Chris,

At least someone has the common sense that is English to admit it.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
steds said:
It's Godleman, for a start. He's 17 and has played 1 First Class game (against a university, no less). No chance.

And what happened to giving Harmison and Anderson one last chance like your original post? Stay consistent, man.
Not that I'm supporting Hinton's claims, but the kid is supposed to be pretty Godlike, if you'll pardon the pun. To be playing FC cricket at 17 one usually has to be pretty damn special. Bilal Shafayat notwithstanding. :laugh:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
Not that I'm supporting Hinton's claims, but the kid is supposed to be pretty Godlike, if you'll pardon the pun. To be playing FC cricket at 17 one usually has to be pretty damn special. Bilal Shafayat notwithstanding. :laugh:
I've seen him bat in 20/20, and he looks to be one to watch for the future, but 2009 Ashes is a bit too premature.

Barney Rubble said:
Imagine if he was playing Australian Grade Cricket:blink:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
The English club structure cannot support a Grade-like system. It has far too many teams.

chris.hinton

International Captain
wow i missed a y. I meant 2009 i am throwing names into the hat, Neil we can have a grade system easy.

aussiedominance is talk sense IMO

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
wow i missed a y. I meant 2009 i am throwing names into the hat, Neil we can have a grade system easy.

aussiedominance is talk sense IMO
Explain how. Particularly in a rural area. You cannot go around turning Village 1st XI sides into Club fifth grade teams.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
Ian Flanagan played county championship cricket at 17...

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
Explain how. Particularly in a rural area. You cannot go around turning Village 1st XI sides into Club fifth grade teams.
Some of the feeding system isn't right. There are village clubs that aren't in any leagues and only play friendlies on a sunday that take away players that could be playing in those leagues. Some sort of parent club idea with ties all the way down the league system could help the progression of young English players.