• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MY View on this

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You say "tweaking"... that suggests minor alterations.

Ideally would be a grade-style system where clubs have several different levels of sides, feeders up/down and a strong community basis for young players to progress; but because of the way towns and villages are in the UK, that is impossible, and we have to have a system that supports the County Championship.

It wasn't bad 15 months ago...

In Sydney and Other States around Australia we all have a grade comp of 12-20 Teams Underneath the big one NSW or whatever this seems to work quite well and Sydney Grade is the strongest local comp in the world :) I would think it be higher than County level if you ask me many a county player come each year and struggle and end up in 2nd and 3rd grade.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
AussieDominance said:
In Sydney and Other States around Australia we all have a grade comp of 12-20 Teams Underneath the big one NSW or whatever this seems to work quite well and Sydney Grade is the strongest local comp in the world :) I would think it be higher than County level if you ask me many a county player come each year and struggle and end up in 2nd and 3rd grade.
Name them and we might take you seriously.

Ben France is out here at the moment, Niall O'Brien,Gul Welton, Reed i think it was from Lancashire,Strauss struggled out here years agoClaydon played for Yorkshire this year,Alan Richardson,Tim Murtagh

Just to name a few.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Ben France has 315 FC runs @ 15.75, and 52 List A runs @ 17.33

His lone FC wicket cost him 90 runs.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
AussieDominance said:
Ben France is out here at the moment, Niall O'Brien,Gul Welton, Reed i think it was from Lancashire,Strauss struggled out here years agoClaydon played for Yorkshire this year,Alan Richardson,Tim Murtagh

Just to name a few.
So you've named a bloke who didn't play a single game for Derbyshire last season, one who averages in the twenties in FC cricket, two who don't appear to exist (unless Gul is a typo and Reed is one of the Reed's that played county cricket 50+ years ago), an aussie who can't even get in the Yorkshire team on a regular basis, the Alan Richardson who played 1 First Class game last summer, and Tim Murtagh as the substance of your argument?
There we have it. The cream of county cricket, failing in the simple Sydney grade competition 8-)

It is the standard of the Pura Cup that you englishmen compare the County Championship to that Jack Mac and quite a few fellow former U19's eg U20's now struggle to get a game in the 2nds at this stage in England you have quite a few U19's playing county cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
AussieDominance said:
So youre saying the County Championship structure is right as Kolpak's can strengthen the comp?
That wasn't what I was saying no, but I have to say it is something that I believe may be true.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
AussieDominance said:
I would think it be higher than County level if you ask me many a county player come each year and struggle and end up in 2nd and 3rd grade.
Oh really?

And you can no doubt name these many players then?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
AussieDominance said:
It is the standard of the Pura Cup that you englishmen compare the County Championship to that Jack Mac and quite a few fellow former U19's eg U20's now struggle to get a game in the 2nds at this stage in England you have quite a few U19's playing county cricket.
Because obviously when there only 66 spaces to fill, there's bound to be a lot of under 19s playing isn't there?

Certainly a lot more than where there's 198 spaces... 8-)

but those 66 places nail down the top cricketers in the Country 198 places or whatever 3 quarters of them dont have any chance of playing for England & Wales.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
OK then, so by that "argument" how many of the top 66 players in England are U19s then?

I'd wager at very few if any.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
ripper868 said:
That shouldnt be too hard to do
It is when the spearhead of your bowling attack has 3 deliveries - bouncer, legside wide and the "so wide it goes to the slips" wide.