• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie Public going soft?

Langeveldt

Soutie
I've noticed here (and pointed out in Off Topic), that Aussie fans seem to be spending more time lamenting this lack of an Ashes contest, than rubbing Pommie noses into the dust with ridicule and the usual hoots of derision that accompany a tour down under.. It seems a strange attitude, and to me it seems like they were happier to be beaten in the 2005 epic than to watch this one sided series..
I guess I'm kind of disappointed in a way, I always like no-contests when I'm on the winning side and couldn't care less for the fate of my opponents, as long as they are being beaten hard, and I thought the majority of Aussies felt the same way too about their cricket and their sport in general.. Thoughts?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
We win too much. How many times are you going to tell a fat chick she's fat?

ripper868

International Coach
i didnt enjoy losing the ashes in 05 but i did enjoy the contest...i do however hope this is a 5 nil whitewash, or at least 4 nil with one of the tests getting washed out as we desperately need the rain. i have a couple of pommy mates, as im sure most aussies do. and yes i've been giving them heaps of "rubbing his nose in the dust". and you can call a fat chick fat about a million times without geting sick of it as long as there english.:)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The pain for the English on here is large enough IMO. Kinda wish LE was still around though, because he gave me some fair stick after last years series.

howardj

International Coach
If it was a World War I'd be cheering for Australia. But, it's only sport. And sport is best to watch when there is a great contest. When there is ebb and flow; cut and thrust.

pasag

RTDAS
silentstriker said:
Too much winning IMO. After a while, it just doesn't have the same effect.
No, this win does mean alot after 05, but there is no point rubbing it in as the losses should be painful enough.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have a huge amount of respect for the Australian cricket team for not only their ability to win almost everything, but the drive and purpose that comes with it. They are not content with winning sometimes, they want to win every single game that they compete in and I think the 2nd test at Adelaide was a great example of this. Almost everybody thought the game was heading for a draw but the Australian's never gave up and they always knew they were in with a shot of winning.

I think that the majority on this forum would rather have a contest because that would make it more exciting to watch and make the standard of cricket higher but I'm sure all this people would also be wanting a 5-0 whitewash. As long as each test was close and competitive then they would be happy.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Actually, to me, it's a bigger insult when the opposing fans complain about a "lack of a contest" instead of gloating. Because that means my team is being demolished and the other side doesn't even need to taunt. The humiliation is far greater in this scenario.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I've noticed here (and pointed out in Off Topic), that Aussie fans seem to be spending more time lamenting this lack of an Ashes contest, than rubbing Pommie noses into the dust with ridicule and the usual hoots of derision that accompany a tour down under.. It seems a strange attitude, and to me it seems like they were happier to be beaten in the 2005 epic than to watch this one sided series..
I guess I'm kind of disappointed in a way, I always like no-contests when I'm on the winning side and couldn't care less for the fate of my opponents, as long as they are being beaten hard, and I thought the majority of Aussies felt the same way too about their cricket and their sport in general.. Thoughts?
I suppose when your oldest sporting rivals take to send soft, inept guys who roll over at the first sledge or first sighting of tubby blonde leggies to your country in order to be your bitches every 4 years for about 2 decades, the novelty wears off eventually.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
steds said:
I suppose when your oldest sporting rivals take to send soft, inept guys who roll over at the first sledge or first sighting of tubby blonde leggies to your country in order to be your bitches every 4 years for about 2 decades, the novelty wears off eventually.
What she said.

cameeel

International Captain
The way that England over-reacted after winning in '05 (OBE's for Christ's sake) means that really them losing this series is enough, there's no need for us to rub it in. And as others have said, 3-0 isn't exactly an exciting spectacle.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think we wanted them to be a bit more competitive - but still smash them 5-0. Its one thing putting in substandard performances and getting owned, but its another to play your socks off and still get beaten - and we were all hoping for that kind of knife-turning (that's why Adelaide rocked!)

We want our bragging rights back, and already we're getting a cavalcade of excuses about poor preparation, wrong-headed coaching, injuries etc. We wanted England to bring their A-game, and still get soundly beaten.

That said, there's no comparison between this lot and the last few English teams to tour down here. They aren't the 2005 team, but they do have some ticker and talent, and so far none of the matches have ended in 3 or 4 days like previous tours.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I've been a bit soft for some time now, to be honest.

Besides, I can't see how you can really rub it in, the English supporters are used to all this anyway. You've got more of a chance of some serious taunting/ridicule when there is more of a contest and one or two of them get mouthy... And then England lose.

Langeveldt

Soutie
cameeel said:
The way that England over-reacted after winning in '05 (OBE's for Christ's sake) means that really them losing this series is enough, there's no need for us to rub it in. And as others have said, 3-0 isn't exactly an exciting spectacle.
OBE's, bare in mind England don't win often :laugh: