• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie Public going soft?

Slow Love™

International Captain
I think the deadness of the pitches has probably extended the contests to a fair degree. Not to take away from some of the English performances with the bat, but I think it's been very difficult for the bowlers for quite long stretches of play, particularly towards the tail of the matches (the last day at Adelaide obviously being an aberration more revolving around the attitudes of the players concerned more than the pitch itself) - and England's bowling form, apart from one or two flashes (and discounting Panesar) has been frequently indifferent.

They haven't been absolutely caned in every session of the match, and they've certainly won sessions, but I wouldn't call the series much of a contest so far. If you look at our tour of Sri Lanka, where we also won 3-0, that was actually far more of a contest, because you could easily see us losing any of those games at particular points. Doesn't feel that way (to me at least) here at all. And things will only look worse if this goes to 5-0, as it well might. The final margins of each test are very conclusive.

Paradoxically (or not), we may see more of a contest now that the final two tests are dead rubbers, but as I said earlier, I think the Aussies are very committed to humiliating England further, and unless they take their feet off the pedal, I suspect it will run that way.

South Africa was more competitive, IMO. They drew a live test, and the third one Smith effectively threw away. The result probably should have been 1-0.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
:laugh:

76.2 Gillespie to Harmison, OUT! That`s ten for the innings! Gillespie bowls a shorter one which hits Harmison on his chest, Harmison screams like a girl and the vibrations from the noise dislodge the bails! Australia win 3-2, and it looks like Harmison has soiled himself. Great work by Gillespie to back-up his 500* in the first-innings. The 5th Test goes to Australia by 2 runs!
Something like that. Or perhaps Flintoff falls over and slips when going for the winning runs,meaning he gets run out and Australia wins by one. Something really heart breaking for all those pasty poms, oh well, looks like I'll have to settle for a series whitewash bashing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slow Love™ said:
I think the deadness of the pitches has probably extended the contests to a fair degree. Not to take away from some of the English performances with the bat, but I think it's been very difficult for the bowlers for quite long stretches of play, particularly towards the tail of the matches (the last day at Adelaide obviously being an aberration more revolving around the attitudes of the players concerned more than the pitch itself) - and England's bowling form, apart from one or two flashes (and discounting Panesar) has been frequently indifferent.

They haven't been absolutely caned in every session of the match, and they've certainly won sessions, but I wouldn't call the series much of a contest so far. If you look at our tour of Sri Lanka, where we also won 3-0, that was actually far more of a contest, because you could easily see us losing any of those games at particular points. Doesn't feel that way (to me at least) here at all. And things will only look worse if this goes to 5-0, as it well might. The final margins of each test are very conclusive.

Paradoxically (or not), we may see more of a contest now that the final two tests are dead rubbers, but as I said earlier, I think the Aussies are very committed to humiliating England further, and unless they take their feet off the pedal, I suspect it will run that way.

South Africa was more competitive, IMO. They drew a live test, and the third one Smith effectively threw away. The result probably should have been 1-0.
Yeah you're probably right, the pitches have played a part in this series. I did feel that SA could have won any of those games (innings lead in Perth, had Aus on the ropes in Melb and had they not dropped Hussey who knows, and they did throw away Sydney to try and level the series).

Ironically SA were less competitive on their home soil.

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I tried to bag them, but my thread got locked. Seems the English mods here are a bit sensitive to our ownership of their rabble of a cricket team.