• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strauss...luckless

ripper868

International Coach
Now been given out twice at crucial stages of tests when not really out. yesterday for example he could have stayed with pietersen and put on a huge partnership. and in adelaide it sort of started the collapse. unlucky i spose....though i reckon the perth one is a get square for the terrible decision against mcgrath....both batters of equal calibre and therefore a fair trade. :laugh:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was he definitely not out in this test? I only saw the live motion replay of it, so I couldn't really tell.

ripper868

International Coach
yeah the commentators were pretty certain, hotspot and snicko showed nothing to suggest he made contact

Mister Wright

I actually think Strauss hit it in the first innings. There was a noise and you notice the seam scramble after it goes past the bat. Although I don't know that an umpire could have known for sure that it was out, given that there was a thousand replays shown without a conclusive answer given; unless the umpire absolutely saw the edge.

Perm

I agree, once the ball past the bat I thought it looked like the rotation on the ball changed so maybe it did get a slight nick on it, even if Hotspot or Snicko didn't show it. Or maybe since Strauss was having a full blooded drive at it the win generated from his swing may have actually pushed the ball away slightly.

ripper868

International Coach
Strauss's reaction would tend to suggest that he didnt hit it...as a batter you tend to know when you hit it and when you didn't, even if the edge is fainter than englands chances of winning the ice hockey world cup (or australia for that matter)

People are making too much about this supposed bad luck.

At least Boycott was right when he said it was one of those that just looks out and an umpire has to give it, and I know what he means.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Strauss wasn't out in either innings and Mike Hussey was out three times in one innings, but there will be times in the future when the roles are reversed.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, it happens. But in at least one case, he didn't play a shot and was given out LBW. If you don't play a shot and get out to a suspect decision, I have no sympathy for you TBH. You've got a bat, use it.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
The margains of errors are millimetres, thats all. Today, its 18mm, on a bat pad, and one so close as that, it cant be more than 3mm. and the other one was pretty close

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
silentstriker said:
Yea, it happens. But in at least one case, he didn't play a shot and was given out LBW. If you don't play a shot and get out to a suspect decision, I have no sympathy for you TBH. You've got a bat, use it.
I've got no sympathy for Strauss either. You cannot reasonably expect a not-out in a situation like that... hit on/below knee roll, leaving, in front of middle. I'm a little more narked with Hussey's let-offs, particularly the bat-pad to Cook at silly point off Monty which was blatant... but hey, swings and roundabouts. Remember Katich's hilarious LBW last summer...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Neil Pickup said:
I've got no sympathy for Strauss either. You cannot reasonably expect a not-out in a situation like that... hit on/below knee roll, leaving, in front of middle. I'm a little more narked with Hussey's let-offs, particularly the bat-pad to Cook at silly point off Monty which was blatant... but hey, swings and roundabouts. Remember Katich's hilarious LBW last summer...
Yea, I think overall the standard of umpiring in the first two tests was great. This test it has gone down a little bit. I do feel sorry for Strauss overall, because it seems he has had more than his share, but if you don't play a shot you pretty much deserve the call going against you.

I must have missed the conclusive proof that Hussey was out.

I presume there was a close up shown then or snicko showed up an edge on that bat pad, because the SKY coverage certainly didn't show one.

Remind me of the other two times, because i only remember how Cook was shown to be out to LBW to Warne before lunch on day 4.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
I've got no sympathy for Strauss either. You cannot reasonably expect a not-out in a situation like that... hit on/below knee roll, leaving, in front of middle.
Couldn't agree more. In just about every article I've read, that particular dismissal is being cited as unlucky. In fact, the exact opposite is true, IMO. If he'd been given not out, he'd have been extremely lucky. Umpires will give those out 9 times out of 10 if no shot is offered, and so they should.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Strauss - this year's Damien Martyn. Can't complain too much, but he has been unlucky. These hings happen when you're not playing well.

pasag

RTDAS
It's a pity, because he looks good whenever he's at the crease. Thought quite a few times he'd go on for a big score and can still see it happening in the final two tests.

Mister Wright

I still reckon Strauss eged Clark in the first innings. The only unlucky decision he has got was in the 2nd innings in Adelaide.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think the first innings in Perth was a little unlucky, and the second innings in Adelaide was very unlucky. Second innings in Perth was an absolutely correct decision.

He's been unlucky certainly, but he's also played some pretty dumb shots and in general been disappointing, IMO. He'll probably make some runs in the remaining tests, but he was the main batsman other than Pietersen who really needed to stand up when the series was on the line.