• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Should replace Martyn?

Who?

• Katich

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Cosgrove

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Jaques

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Symonds

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Hodge

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • MacGill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Johnson/Tait

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Symonds and Voges in for Martyn and Tait, as it turns out. Hard to say exactly who replaced Martyn, but I bet nobody picked Voges. :p

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Voges!!! That's a shock. He's been doing well but still fairly unproven for mine, about four or five guys ahead of him IMO. Hodge, Cosgrove, North, Jaques. He'd be on par with Katich.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Selecting Voges is the direst(dunno if it's a word, but it is now) decision ever, even if he doesn't play (which i highly doubt he will). The guy has simply been a beneficiary of the WACA roads in the past 2 seasons imo.

Looks likely we'll be seeing shortpitched713 eat his keyboard as well...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
FaaipDeOiad said:
I posted that after the fact, so it's not really a "prediction". The only prediction I made on the subject was that they wouldn't pick Jaques in the middle order, which turned out to be right. :p

Solid picks though, aside from Bracken.
Fair enough. Haha, I really though Bracken was a good shout for Australia`s middle-order. :p

Slow Love™

International Captain
Wow, interesting selections. You would expect that Symonds will probably play - in hindsight, as a stopgap while Watson's not available (and given the selectors' obvious obsession with the flexibility an allrounder can provide), I guess this should have been more obvious. Wasn't though, to me at least.

Speaking of flexibility, I hope shortpitched713's got one of those bendable, rubber keyboards, 'cause I think he might end up chowing down.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
Jeez Vogues and Symonds. Didn't see that coming either, day full of suprises.
indeed, Voges... cant see how they picked him really, ahead of Jaques, Cosgrove, Katich. Symonds will play and bat at 6 i would say with Husey and Clarke both moving up a spot.

Could well be our best fielding side ever fielded - one of the most agressive batting sides ever too.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Symonds will play with Voges getting a taste of what its like to be around the squad. Symonds ability to bowl both pace and spin will be useful at the WACA where he already has picked up wickets this summer.

social

Must admit that I would've picked Symonds (great fieldsman, handy bowler and hope like hell that he finally shows his potential with the bat) but thought he was a long-shot

VOGES?????? wtf?

Jaques and Hodge should be mightily pissed off

And Tait bowls well in fc and gets dropped

I seriously give up trying to predict what our fwit selectors are on about

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hodge would have been picked, but he's injured. Jaques is obviously an "opener only" in their minds.

But players like Birt and Cosgrove have every right to be annoyed. One can only hope that the selectors, in watching Voges' big innings this year, have seen something that he hasn't really shown in the one dayers or in previous seasons, despite the flat wicket. I hope they haven't just selected him based on his good first class average, anyway.

social

FaaipDeOiad said:
Hodge would have been picked, but he's injured. Jaques is obviously an "opener only" in their minds.

But players like Birt and Cosgrove have every right to be annoyed. One can only hope that the selectors, in watching Voges' big innings this year, have seen something that he hasn't really shown in the one dayers or in previous seasons, despite the flat wicket. I hope they haven't just selected him based on his good first class average, anyway.
If that was the criteria, pick Marcus North - good bat, fieldsman and bowls as well

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
If that was the criteria, pick Marcus North - good bat, fieldsman and bowls as well
I think Voges probably has more potential to be honest. North's got a poor reputation when the ball is doing anything, and he wasn't in the Australia A setup earlier this year, so I can't see him as a test prospect. Voges might well be a handy test batsman, but there's still a few guys who should have been picked in front of him.

Even though I think he's a poor selection, I'm sort of hoping he gets picked ahead of Symonds for the test really. He might turn out to be a surprise success, and he's certainly in much better form than Symonds with the bat. Besides, Symonds has played 10 or so tests and done nothing, so I'd rather see someone else get a go. It will be Symonds in all likelyhood though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd think that another thing that might have helped the selectors select Voges is that, AFAIK, he hasn't played any County Cricket, so he's a bit of a "suprise packet" as a pick because the English haven't seen much of him, while North, Jaques, and a few others are a bit more familiar and they'd have plans ready for them.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
GoT_SpIn said:
No Mark Waugh or Tubby
Yeah, our slip fielding will definitely be down on the late 90s. Ground fielding would probably be one of the best ever assembled, with Symonds, Ponting, Clarke and Hussey all in there.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Long term - I think Watson, providing he's fit, assuming Clarke is now properly "in" the team. I think Hodge should be the next batsman in line.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Hodge - still can't believe they dropped him so soon after his 200 at the WACA last year (but as a desperate England fan pick Katich or Symonds)