• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duncan Fletchers Australian Ashes Diary

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
After last years diary sold so well I was wondering when I'd be able to obtain a copy of this tours diary? It's sure to be a great read.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I don't believe for a second that your signature reveals the true nature of your username. Has to stand for something far more sinister afaic.

Scmods

shortpitched713 said:
I don't believe for a second that your signature reveals the true nature of your username. Has to stand for something far more sinister afaic.
Have you not seen "The Blues Brothers"?

shortpitched713

International Captain
No, not really.

On the topic, I can say Iam looking forward with great interest to the release of Fletch's tour diary. Can't wait to see the excuses he's got in store for us. :laugh:

Scmods

shortpitched713 said:
No, not really.
Well then don't discuss things you know nothing about, because if you had seen it you'd know that SCMODS is from that movie.

Scmods

Can't take credit for this, got it off another forum, but it's absolute gold

Exclusive extracts:

Thursday

Dear diary, I'm feeling pretty flippin' good about this test match. Things didn't go quite according to plan in Brisbane, but the lads showed they can play on the last day in Brisbane and rallied well around Gilo when it mattered. With a spin friendly track in Adelaide, and the only aussie sin option being some washed up Hampshire leggy, I think we'll bat a bit too deep for them. McGrath looks to be in a spot o bother, and I reckon we'll be looking at Edgbaston all over again.

Friday
Excellent day today, Diary.

Morning started off well by getting the much needed toss -thanks Gilo- and then the team won the coin flip as well. Lads batted well with Pieto and Collo giving Gilo good support in a display which reminded me of, well, me back in the '83 Prudential. As I explained to Monty when he ironed the teams whites this morning (an important learning experience for him which also reminds me of Harare in the 80s, come to think of it) we're sticking it right up the Aussie's clackers and that's all that matters.

Saturday
King of Spain was impeccable in the first innings, Diary, with some very pleasing strokeplay. Some lovely forward movement and some interesting glances behind left me right chuffed with him. Aussies have nothing in the bowling department, Was very happy with Freddy's declaration, let's put the lads in and give Gilo a chance to give them a good working over.. as well.

The Right Honorable Duncan Fletcher sounds good, doesn't it?

Sunday

Aussies are still in, Diary, but we're still coasting towards a good result.

Gilo's was excellent with ball in hand today. His length was impressive, and his ability to put it in the slot repeatedly more than makes up for any lack of spin. Got a bit jealous when he was playing the field though, diary- he almost caught Punter behind, but alls well that ends well, and the aussie slipped through his supple fingers.

Lucky we bat deep, as we say in England, a draw is a win is a win.

Monday
Most amusing incident this morning Diary.

Lads were warming up, and one of the drink boys, Monty someone or other, was playing around with the ball, pretending to be a slow bowler, except he couldn't quite manage to get the ball to go straight on like Gilo. Had a good chuckle with the lads about that one- Freddy looked like he wanted to say something, but kept his mouth obstinately closed- Gilo could teach him a thing or two about that.

End of play and we just need to bat out tomorrow to get the desired result. I called the lads together and explained to them the gravity of the situation, and the need to put in the traditonal, best of British batting tomorrow, so that should sort it.

Tuesday

Less than chuffed with developments today, Diary. Actually I'm writing this from the locker room closet where me and Gilo have taken refuge. Boycott is outside hammering on the door, saying something about 'wringing me flippin neck if I don't come out', big dumb yorkshire pudding that he is.

Long story short, the lads let Gilo down right terrible today. Aforementioned hampshire leggy had a bit o luck, and the lads responded in traditional british fashion. Was up to Gilo to save the day with the ball, and he was more than up to the task- he tempted the Aussie batsman into some really foolish shots, a few of which went for fortuitous boundaries.

Freddy looked a bit down afterwards, but I explained to him that Gilo would lead the lads to victory in Perth and he soon cheered up.

That's all from me Diary, as the locker door seems to be giving way a bit. Me and the King are going to lie still and think of England...

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Monday
Most amusing incident this morning Diary.

Lads were warming up, and one of the drink boys, Monty someone or other, was playing around with the ball, pretending to be a slow bowler, except he couldn't quite manage to get the ball to go straight on like Gilo. Had a good chuckle with the lads about that one- Freddy looked like he wanted to say something, but kept his mouth obstinately closed- Gilo could teach him a thing or two about that.

End of play and we just need to bat out tomorrow to get the desired result. I called the lads together and explained to them the gravity of the situation, and the need to put in the traditonal, best of British batting tomorrow, so that should sort it.
That is a lock on the skull TBH.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
We have that one as a joke. "How on earth do you manage to make the ball go straight on like that, it is very skillfull)